1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

NEW! Minix U1 EZ root ZIP method

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by Rawhide85, Dec 17, 2015.

1. fffaj

fffaj Member

Hmmm... Im gonna try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    skynet likes this.
  2. Ray White

Ray White New Member

I just got a new U1 purchased from minix corp via amazon (I had a rooted x8h before) and it won't root. It came with fw10 and I upgraded to fw11 first. Using a 1gb fat32. If I use the OTG port it says 'E: cannot load volume /misc!' if I try the sd card or regular usb ports it opens the zip file ok and then says the header is bad and it fails signature. Maybe there is only a problem with new hardware? Any suggestions? I put both the zip file and unzipped files on it as I wasn't sure if you needed to unzip.

If the built in Samba server wasn't so slow I wouldn't even care about rooting. you get about 4megs per second on a gigabit lan and the one in the play store does about 13 which is still slow compared to windows.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  3. bitweasel

bitweasel New Member

Put TWRP on your fat32 pendrive, then put the root zipfile on that as well. Use TWRP to apply the root - I learned this weekend that TWRP can boot from the SD card, but not read files from it once booted, but can do so if you use the OTG port. Apparently the stock recovery no longer flashes the root file.
    fffaj likes this.
  4. skynet

skynet Active Member

Hi fffaj, did you finaly succed your root on the last FW011 ?
    Have you tried with another usb device ?
  5. fffaj

fffaj Member

Still no luck...

6. fffaj

fffaj Member

Have you tested it and if it's working? If so, could I please pm you for the source to download the recovery please?

7. bitweasel

bitweasel New Member

Yes, I know that it works.

You can download the recovery image from https://twrp.me/devices/minixneou1.html

Copy it to a pendrive, rename it "recovery.img," power down your box, power on by pressing and holding the power button for about 6 seconds. The system will boot from the outboard recovery, and you can mount the usb-otg storage device in TWRP, and flash from it.

I found connecting a USB mouse to the box on a non OTG port very helpful. I was able to root fw 11 with it before I reverted.
    fffaj likes this.
  8. fffaj

fffaj Member

Thank you for that. One last question, that doesn't change the stock recovery right?

9. skynet

skynet Active Member

Yes the stock recovery will be erased by TWRP like any phone device.
    But you can recover the stock one by flashing a full stock FW.
  10. bitweasel

bitweasel New Member

No, if you boot from TWRP on a US B stick, you do not touch the stock recovery. You boot from the TWRP but you don't need to install it to the main memory of your Minix box.

You can flash TWRP if you choose, or you can simply use the recovery environment to apply root, then reboot and remove your USB stick leaving stock recovery intact.

The minix does not behave at all like a phone in this regard. It is much more analogous to the old Barnes and Noble Nook Color or Simple Touch devices.
    skynet and fffaj like this.
  11. fffaj

fffaj Member

Thank you fir the clarification, is very much appreciated.

12. skynet

skynet Active Member

Thanks for this information ;)
    Couldn't imagine we can boot on another recovery from a usb key (it's a very low level application).