1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

New Sections (Please read it will answer likely questions)

Discussion in 'NEO Z64 Windows 10/8.1' started by Gh0st, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

I have opened up the new Z64 sections.
    I will add the subforums sometime tomorrow when I have the time.
    For the time being here are a few answers to questions that will likely be asked.

- It is NOT possible to dualboot between Android and Windows. There will be no official work put in to make that happen.

- It is technically possible to switch from Android to Windows but it is a complicated task and will NOT be encouraged or officially supported by MINIX so please do not ask them questions about it.
    Please note, switching from Windows to Android means you will lose your copy of Windows.

- Windows 8.1 with Bing OS = Full OS, there is no expiry date etc..., there is no need for users to type in a license key etc... - the unit is ready to use straight out of the box. The only difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 with Bing is that Bing is set as the default search engine.

- Both versions use the same hardware, however important point to mention. Android version comes with our standard IR-Remote, the Windows version does not as obviously the IR-Remote won't work on Windows. So whilst the Windows version has the built-in IR-Receiver on the box it is completely obsolete and cannot be used.

- There is no official support for Linux..... At the moment

- NEO Z64 does NOT support Windows 7.

- NEO Z64 WILL support Windows 10.

- Also, important so there is no confusion regarding 64-bit / 32-bit. The processor is 64-bit, but the Windows OS is 32-bit.

- There may be comparisons in price to other companies models, two very big things should be taken note of.
    1 - The OS that comes included in the Windows model is a fully licensed (legal) copy of Windows 8.1 with Bing as opposed to a trial version in competitors models.
    2 - Other companies chose to use eMMC 4.5 compared to eMMC 5.0 in the Z64 this leads to a bootup time of around 30-40 seconds in competitors models and 10-15 seconds on the Z64. As well as general speed once booted being affected

- I have seen posts of Facebook about only 2GB RAM, please read the specs here (Max memory size): http://ark.intel.com/products/80274/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3735F-2M-Cache-up-to-1_83-GHz
    adam3544, micas350 and zarbman like this.
  2. Yordan Yordanov

Yordan Yordanov New Member

Great! How to order and what will be the price?
  3. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

@everyone; this is not a place to compare pricing. This is a support forum. Any references to prices and sellers will be removed.

Removed 2 posts.
  4. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

I'm interested in one of these boxes but have a couple of questions.

I don't understand this point. Obviously you can't use an IR-Remote to control Windows, but isn't it possible to use the IR-Remote/Receiver in Kodi (xbmc) while running Windows in the back end?

Does the USB on the z64 support multi-port USB? I'm planning on connecting a Thermaltake BlacX Duet HDD Docking Station to the z64 and would need access to both hard drives.

Thank you!
  5. Prizm

Prizm New Member

I would also like to know this. I was really interested in this Windows version until I read that there's no remote.
  6. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

You could use an airmouse or wireless mouse/keyboard.

Sent using Tapatalk
    seagate1 likes this.
  7. EagleEye

EagleEye Active Member

What about hd audio passtrough? When i install shark007 co decs on my pc i have hd audio (Dts ma hd and truehd) wil it also work on this mini pc?
  8. pani100

pani100 Member

This is a question that will be asked and searched a lot, so would be in the interest of Minix to actually have more specific details of what theses new boxes are capable of.
    Or we will have to wait patiently until a few reviewers/developers get their boxes and report back. (Finless has mentioned Minix are sending him both of these boxes)
  9. mariofenech

mariofenech New Member

I have few questions to ask about the Minix Neo Z64.
    1; If let's say I buy the android version...will it be easy enough to install Windows 8.1 instead?
    2; Is it just like formating a Pc from a usb?
    What I mean is as Minix are selling these boxes as 2 different OS...are both versions able to swap....the android Z64 to Windows and Windows to Android...
  10. Gh0st

@mariofenech If you read the first post you will see that it IS possible however it is a somewhat complicated task. You will also have to buy your own copy of Windows 8.1 (or 10 when it's released).
    If you buy the Windows version and install Android on it then you lose your copy of Windows and would have to buy it again if you want it back at a later date
  11. Vimes

Vimes New Member

Hello

Unless I have missed it why doesn't the Z64 come with an optical out connection....?
    I have been tempted to buy the MINIX NEO X8-H Plus, and still might do, but then I discovered the pre release information about this new device and it seems really good but the omission of a S/PDIF, considering that it was on the previous model, is not something that I can understand...?

I would need the optical out to connect to my sound system and enjoy that at the moment with DD and DTS 5.1 being delivered by my Amazon Fire TV optical out connection.

It just seems to be a backwards step by not including it.
  12. SJshah

SJshah Member

@Vimes If you need optical-out then get the X8-H Plus, it is the still the better device.

There is no "previous model" to the Z64 - it's the first Intel-based box they have released. They will probably release a Z64 Plus sooner or later with those extra features, but not everybody needs them.
  13. Gh0st

It comes down to what the hardware allows. For instance the max RAM is 2GB. That is not MINIXs choice that is all the SoC allows. The X8 SoC didnt allow for gigabit LAN however the Plus did. No doubt future models will allow for higher spec features.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    SJshah likes this.
  14. Vimes

Vimes New Member

As yet the X8-H Plus seems to meet my needs. I have only had one experience of Android running on a x86 platform and that was with my Motorola Razr i phone, which I have as a spare. Some issues with stability and compatibility using some of the games and apps made me wonder if it was the x86 platform or the phone itself, I wouldn't be in a hurry to test that one out again.

Still these Android boxes seem to pop up really fast and with other platforms releasing their offerings also there is just so much choice.
  15. I know that flashing from Android to Windows is possible but 'somewhat complicated' but can any mod here tell me if it requires a different bios? If so will it be released for tech savy users wishing to switch between the two?
    ironman_USAPT likes this.
  16. Gh0st

Yes its a different bios, I don't know if it will be released

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    ironman_USAPT likes this.
  17. ironman_USAPT

ironman_USAPT New Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick guide here.
    I bought the minix z64 and am quick anxious for it to get here.

Quick question:
    Will popcorn time be able to run fast on the minix win 8.1 version?

Also, I bought a Rikomagic air mouse with keyboard. Will I be able to use the button remote with windows on the win8 menu and/or desktop/apps/programs?? Can anyone detail about this situation about airmouse on windows the the ability to use the remote instead of airmouse?

Thanks!
  18. xapt3r5

xapt3r5 New Member

So this is Windows RT, we're talking about here, not Windows Pro right?
  19. ironman_USAPT

ironman_USAPT New Member

Neither.

Windows RT is for ARM processors and Windows Pro is for x86/x64 processors.
    The windows is not windows pro, its windows 8.1 only.
  20. xapt3r5

xapt3r5 New Member

So, it means that I can't run older 32-bit apps or games that run in xp/windows 7, basically RT for a different CPU range, right?