1. Official MINIX forum -Forum was offline for maintainance during last weekend and is back online now.

New Sections (Please read it will answer likely questions)

Discussion in 'NEO Z64 Android OS' started by Gh0st, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

I have opened up the new Z64 sections.
    I will add the subforums sometime tomorrow when I have the time.
    For the time being here are a few answers to questions that will likely be asked.

- It is NOT possible to dualboot between Android and Windows. There will be no official work put in to make that happen.

- It is technically possible to switch from Android to Windows but it is a complicated task and will NOT be encouraged or officially supported by MINIX so please do not ask them questions about it.
    Please note, switching from Windows to Android means you will lose your copy of Windows.

- Windows 8.1 with Bing OS = Full OS, there is no expiry date etc..., there is no need for users to type in a license key etc... - the unit is ready to use straight out of the box. The only difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 with Bing is that Bing is set as the default search engine.

- Both versions use the same hardware, however important point to mention. Android version comes with our standard IR-Remote, the Windows version does not as obviously the IR-Remote won't work on Windows. So whilst the Windows version has the built-in IR-Receiver on the box it is completely obsolete and cannot be used.

- There is no official support for Linux..... At the moment

- NEO Z64 does NOT support Windows 7.

- NEO Z64 WILL support Windows 10.

- Also, important so there is no confusion regarding 64-bit / 32-bit. The processor is 64-bit, but the Windows OS is 32-bit.

- There may be comparisons in price to other companies models, two very big things should be taken note of.
    1 - The OS that comes included in the Windows model is a fully licensed (legal) copy of Windows 8.1 with Bing as opposed to a trial version in competitors models.
    2 - Other companies chose to use eMMC 4.5 compared to eMMC 5.0 in the Z64 this leads to a bootup time of around 30-40 seconds in competitors models and 10-15 seconds on the Z64. As well as general speed once booted being affected

- I have seen posts of Facebook about only 2GB RAM, please read the specs here (Max memory size): http://ark.intel.com/products/80274/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3735F-2M-Cache-up-to-1_83-GHz
  2. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Good writeup mate
  3. Gh0st

Thanks mate, just took what John had told us and added a couple more bits.
    Edit anything else in that you think may need to be known
    Tony Mour likes this.
  4. Gh0st

I have a question for John or Ken actually...
    Can I flash my X8-H Plus with a Windows version Z64? ;)
    Rui Oliveira likes this.
  5. DigitalSoul

DigitalSoul Member

Many thanks for bringing in this small factor mini PC / HTPC / Android TV. It opens up a totally different ball game now :)
    Obvious question - Does / Will it support the latest sensation HEVC H 265?
  6. Rui Oliveira

Rui Oliveira Active Member

+1
    I personally dont need for media player a minix with windows 8.1 but it is a possibility in the future to link the minix in to a tv in a office like version Z64.
    Minix x8h plus is more powerful (8k for example) but it has similar specs.
    I have the oportunity on read that minix z64 can be installed with windows 8.1 32 bits OS and i think minix neo x8h plus can do that very well. Thanks
  7. Gh0st

@Rui Oliveira none of the previous NEO models can run Windows.
    My question was can I use the Z64 to flash other NEO models like my current PC can.
    It was more of a light hearted joke but something I will do just for the sake of doing it ;)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    zarbman and Rui Oliveira like this.
  8. Rui Oliveira

:) ok. Like i said in other posts i prefer the hardware of the minix neo x8h plus (4k , etc) for media player.
    Android for media player is fantastic, windows will more "heavy".
    I am very happy with my plus. Thank you for your reply.
  9. Tomas Morkus

Tomas Morkus New Member

Hi,
    please, do you plan to support Linux in the future? Or, even better Android/Linux dualboot? Windows is not interesting for me.
    Thanks.
  10. bobo_st

bobo_st New Member

I was wondering if Neo Z64 has a better upscaling of SD video content from Neo X7 and X8 models?
    I own a Neo X7 model and video quality of SD content watching over USB is poor!
    Does the Z64 model has been tested at all yet?

Thank you.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  11. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Dual-boot is techinically possible but we can't make it because of potential legal issues.
    We can't do it.
    gufone and HardwareGuru like this.
  12. Jorge Lobo

Jorge Lobo New Member

Question made before but not answered:
    - Does the Neo Z64 support the codec HEVC/H.265?

If yes:
    - Is it done via hardware or software?

If not:
    - Will it ever support the mentioned codec via software?

Thanks in advance.
  13. Rui Oliveira

http://www.minix.com.hk/News/15012318255340.html
    The site does not say support h265 in z64. I dont know if will be supported.
  14. Jorge Lobo

Jorge Lobo New Member

"...The utilization of Intel Bay Trail delivers a multitude of incredible features and benefits to the Android platform..."

- May one of these features be the HEVC/H.265 codec support?
  15. Rui Oliveira

I have a minix neo x8h plus and i am very happy and fills my needs (also have h265 support by hardware) . According to http://kodi.wiki/view/Android_hardware h265 in z64 is not supported (at least by hardware)
  16. Alberto Alonso

Alberto Alonso New Member

Any how to installing windows over android?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Tika

Tika New Member

Hi! Could you clarify both versions of NEO Z64 or only NEO Z64W will support windows 10?

Thanks!
  18. bob_a_builder2

bob_a_builder2 New Member

"Dual-boot is technically possible but we can't make it because of potential legal issues.
    We can't do it."

It seems others can and do

Read elsewhere that MS was keen/interested in allowing dual boot - but unable to link to it yet

This dual booter box available on amazon

Hardwareguru moderated: no promotion of other vendors allowed
  19. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

Edited above post.

That there are companies breaking rules does not mean we will follow.
    Other companies may not trying to build a good relationship with microsoft, we do.
    Minix is a brand not now but also in the future. We would like to keep it that way. Companies that only invest in the short term profit are not to last.

Please restrain from advertising other boxes/vendors.
    Thanks

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ZP980+ met Tapatalk
  20. bob_a_builder2

bob_a_builder2 New Member

To quote from the link which I can't post yet

"In 2013, Microsoft shut down attempts to switch between Windows 8 and Android, but move on two years and the company has made a full 180. It is now working with manufacturers who plan to build tablets running both Windows 10 and Android 5.0.

The change in character is in part due to Satya Nadella’s leadership, which doesn’t seem to value Windows as much as Steve Ballmer did. Instead, Nadella wants to influence Android customers to Windows by making it extremely easy to switch OS.

Microsoft has already started a program in China with [A-another] adding Windows 10 Mobile to Android devices, and it is doing the same in the tablet world. Chinese manufacturer [A-another-2] has launched a range of Windows 10-Android 5.0 tablets.

Having the ability to move between Windows 10 and Android 5.0 is useful, if it manages to switch OSes without taking ages. Android has more social apps, but Windows 10 is a far better platform for productivity and professional apps.

Only Chinese manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon so far, even though {A-another-3] showed interest in building an OS swapper in 2013. We expect other smaller tablet manufacturers start importing both platforms in the near future to tablets."

A-another-1 & 2 = other chinese tablet manufacturers
    A-another-3 = a major global pc manufacturer

from an article Aug 2015 on ITportal