1. Official MINIX forum

New Z83-4 flaky

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by John M, Dec 31, 2016.

1. John M

John M New Member

Hi, I just bought a new Z83-4 and haven't had much luck getting it running. The first time I booted it up, Windows prompted me for my information but after the 3rd or 4th welcome screen it hung -- the spinning wheel stopped spinning and it finally rebooted. This happened two or three times and finally it did boot to the desktop. However, things continued to be flaky, and usually after a minute or two of doing things in Windows the machine would freeze, sometimes with the screen going black.

I was able to flash the latest BIOS (1.4) but that didn't have any positive impact.

I did some reading on this forum and found out about the reset option through the F9 menu; I tried this but during the reinstall process it failed, and now I always just get an error on boot that says the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. I have the option to click OK to restart the installation but doing that just cases a reboot that leads me back to the same error message.

Should I just send this machine back and try another one or do you think there is hope for this one? Maybe reinstalling Windows manually would fix it? Is there something else I should try?

Thanks in advance,
  2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

just send it back, it sounds like DDR (RAM) problem.
  3. John M

John M New Member

Well, I ran several passes of memtest86 without errors and successfully booted Fedora 25 from USB without any issue so I took a chance and reinstalled Windows. So far it's been working flawlessly ever since. I'm going to give it a good workout the next few days and see how it goes, fingers crossed!
    Villa likes this.
  4. MINIX - Ken

Might be you had a bad graphics driver.
  5. John M

John M New Member

Well, I was all set to post today that it had been a week without any more issues, but yesterday my wife said she had issues with audio skipping and had to restart the machine, and this morning I turned the TV on to a blue screen with a machine check error. It rebooted okay and there's been no sign of issues since. The past week of almost daily use it's been fine but this makes me a little nervous. I guess I'll give it another week to see if there are any more problems, if so maybe I'll return it after all and get another.
  6. MINIX - Ken

You should update both Windows and the device drivers to the latest.
    They are better.
  7. John M

John M New Member

When i reinstalled Windows I used the driver .rar I found linked on the forum here, and I just updated everything that was missing a driver with that set.

In device manager i have Intel SST audio device v. 604.10135.2747.11324 dated December 1 (or jan 12?), is there a newer version?

Which Windows version is latest? Windows update doesnt report anything available, I've got 1607.
  8. John M

John M New Member

This afternoon in Netflix the audio started breaking up in Netflix and ended up way out of sync with the video. Then after restarting the video it locked up with a blank screen, and after rebooting i got a blue screen after another 5 to 10 minutes (watchdog clock error or something like that). I rebooted again and its been fine since but it seems like there must be something fundamentally wrong. A bit strange that it seemed to be fine for almost the first week after reinstalling, but I guess this fits with the initial issues I had opening the box.

I think ill box it up and send it back tomorrow. Hopefully another unit will be fine, aside from these issues its really a nice machine.
  9. John M

John M New Member

Turns out there was an updated video driver, maybe that'll help.
  10. MINIX - Ken

Is it better or not?
    do you browse using the Edge browser where hardware decoding is supported?
  11. John M

John M New Member

Nope, it locked up again not long after updating the driver. I'd been mostly using the Netflix app. I also was looking at the windows event log and it had restarted unexpectedly a lot more than I realized. I returned it and ordered another, so I'll update the thread if the new one works well, otherwise I'll start a new one...

Thanks for the great support so far Ken, that was one of the selling points for with Minix.
  12. John M

John M New Member

Quick update, second machine arrived Thursday and so far it's been OK. I updated the BIOS, Windows was already v1607.
  13. MINIX - Ken

Good to know, thanks.
  14. John M

John M New Member

Well I'm happy to report that so far the new machine seems to be fine except for one odd thing which is that it was very often giving a bugcheck 0x6a4 after going into connected standby, but sometimes after many hours, and then rebooting. I only noticed because a few times in the morning there would be no apps open anymore so I checked the event viewer and found the bugchecks.

Maybe a driver bug? I couldn't find any clues online about that code. I turned off suspend in Windows and its been up ever since. Maybe I should open a new thread for this?
  15. MINIX - Ken

Can you post this to Microsoft forum? I believe they know these codes better than any of us.