1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

News: How to get KODI 17 while running KITKAT 4.4!

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX' started by drgn, Apr 6, 2017.

1. EdT586

EdT586 Member

Kodi is like a whore and most of the developers there have an affiliation to certain companies they work for or have special interest$$$ in.
    Sure Kodi will say they do not support 3rd party aka "unofficial" addons, but MyGica even though they do not show up as a "Kodi Sponsor" is behind the scenes is a big Kodi sponsor/benefactor as they can use the Kodi logo on all their boxes and advertising materials.
  2. EdT586

EdT586 Member

I don't understand why it is so hard for Minix not to come out with a Kodi 17 fork to shut up all those with the the older X7 and X* series box owners
    Use the EBMC fork instead of the MyGica fork, will work on more devices !
  3. dryster

dryster Active Member

It fascinates me, you can go off and buy a C$35 box, which included local shipping from Vancouver, on the auction site, and I buy these now and then just for giggles. The latest I bought, an S905 box, has a remote that is almost physically identical to the basic MINIX RF remote. Are these boxes good? - probably not, but they do provide entertainment. Do these boxes have any support? - no, but if you know that up front it just adds to the challenge, is the hardware excellent? - no, perhaps, maybe, probably not. Do these boxes have Google services and an official Play Store? - er, not really. that's why they cost the price of a case of beer.

Does my current experiment box run KODI 17.1? - yes.

It took me a few hours to get to that point, not working out of the box and a terrible launcher, all to be expected in a generic offering.

Yet, @EdT586 your point is very good, MINIX have not come out with a fork of 17.0 - someone else did, and to be critical or talk about other companies, on a MINIX forum, is a bit of a tightrope, because threads will get locked. users will go missing, and happy owners will continue here and disgruntled ones will get frustrated and move on.
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  4. EdT586

EdT586 Member

I work with hundreds of Android boxes on a professional basis and the ones that have the most software issues are the higher end brands like Minix and Zoomtak.
    The $18us MXQ S805 boxes work with everything. Try using a 3rd party skin like Xonflunece on a Minix X8-H/X8-H Plus and it will crash every time at start up while it works flawlessly on the $18us MXQ box ...try to explain that to the owner who dished out the big bucks ...errr bugs

There is one feature your $35cad generic box can do that none of the Minix boxes can, they have a quick On/Off Kodi button on the stock remote !
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  5. dryster

dryster Active Member

There is another feature my $35cad generic box can do, it can crash every twenty minutes because the S905 CPU has no $1 heatsink installed....

It's an easy fix, but not something that works out of the box.
  6. midnight

midnight Moderator Moderator

These are some of the reasons why threads get locked ! or members get banned ! If you want to compare Minix to some of the other cheap boxes you mention that cost .. actually don't really care :mad: I suggest do it else where (n)
    If you also choose to argue with other members about why other brands are better whether they are cheaper or more expensive , old , new , pink , blue .... again do it else where o_O
    As consumers you have the right to ask questions and voice your concern or frustrations but it's another thing to make comments like you are making on the official site . I think any brand would frown against it ! .... maybe not some of those cheap brands you mentioned , do they even read or reply to posts !:rolleyes:
  7. dryster

dryster Active Member

It's a clear choice for some, but the level of support from MINIX is very good when compared to all the generic boxes, and for those who don't know what a generic box actually is, it is usually characterized by the following features :

1. The price seems so cheap that it is almost unbelievable (we know what that means)
    2. Google searches for the item only end in places that flog it, reviews don't exist or are robot generated.
    3. There is no online forum, or support, or firmware, usually firmware has to be sourced from enthusiasts sites, custom roms etc.
    4. Most of these boxes are "pump and dump" and promise everything, but deliver little to the average consumer.

That last one should be of interest to any consumer, examples of which are boxes that say they have bluetooth, but do not, boxes that overheat because there are no heatsinks or ventilation (holes are expensive) or software glitches, like Google Play store or Google services that just don't work, core operating system that has dead ends or holes in the settings menu...and no support from whoever was the original manufacturer. I could go on, but my point is made.

This MINIX forum is exceptional, and there is a lot of tolerance for repeated questions, frustrations and concerns, and every machine that MINIX make is supported via new firmware and bug tracking and real people reply to those posts. That's why it's a clear choice and my next android box will be a U1 or a U9-H and not something that costs less than a case of beer where the only entertainment is attempting to get the thing working.
  8. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

you may well try to make your point, but that's just your point of view...no need to try and force it on to anybody else

i have a couple of unbelievably cheap generic android devices I have had for a while , one a box and one a stick, and you know what...they work perfectly fine, and i haven't had to do any firmware hunting around to install kodi 17

i also have another unbelievably cheap device (stick...there's a clue ) from a well know manufacturer that has lots of support and OTA firmware updates which also runs kodi 17 without issue

minix are great i agree , but everyone has a free choice
  9. dryster

dryster Active Member

@Frederick_99 Forums like email and texting, are difficult to express things with, not like when we discuss things face to face, I'm not trying to force any views on anyone, just expressing an opinion. I own MINIX boxes and I've had quite a few generics and still buy them, mainly as they challenge some problem solving corner of my head.
  10. EdT586

EdT586 Member

No, the MyGica version works flawlessly on all the X8 series boxes I have tried it on !
    With the exception of the MyGica icon and flash screen, updating back to the Confluence skin brings it back to the old familiar Kodi that we have grown accustomed to.
    Search for MyGicaMediaCenter2017413.
    Their 7.1 fork should come out anytime soon next week in the PlayStore.
  11. antcj

antcj New Member

12. EdT586

EdT586 Member

13. antcj

antcj New Member

14. roy1234

roy1234 Member

This ebmc is working good on my minix x8h it is based on kodi 17.0 thx. Is there any later forks yet from ebmc MyGica etc? 17.1 or latter mygica EBMC or anything else I cud test ?
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  15. EdT586

EdT586 Member

MyGica Media Center 17.1 fork is already out, but just as it came out Kodi pushed out 17.2 and 17.3 a day later because of the sub-title security flaw. The hard working Team MyGica ...hint hint Team Minix is currently already working on MMC 17.3 !

You can download MMC 17.1 here
    https://mega.nz/#!iE90gDSC!hRM0R6s1M6qzXNjfGi-v4ZpAEXkilYE0tkynoouxzxc
  16. roy1234

roy1234 Member

Thank u do u have a different link I couldn't get it from there
  17. Drdan

Drdan New Member