1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Official 004A firmware via MINIX FOTA

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H PLUS 004 firmware via MINIX FOTA' started by MINIX - Ken, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Don Grimme

Don Grimme Member

I've yet to see a post here saying that the 004A update installed smoothly and performance (especially in Kodi Helix) is so much better now. [FYI: Many of my favorite features do not work in Minix XBMC 13.3.3, so I use Kodi 14.2.]

To the contrary. I see problems reported. Think I'll stay with version 004 for now.
  2. blue24

blue24 Member

Minix-Gotham is so outdated, I never use it. Minix team please release a Minix-Helix, it's long overdue (y)
  3. ENDRJUPL

ENDRJUPL Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Minix-isengard will be next if I remember correctly.
  4. triple_NL

triple_NL New Member

After updating X8-H plus from FW004 to FW004a 2 problems occure Using minix xmbc 13.3.3 :

1: more and more media files have a sound offset. Before update no noticeable offset occurred in any file container (mkv, MP4 , ISO etc etc), after update more files have a soundofset of at least 250 ms (or more) both neg or pos. Even the files whom had no offset before the update, have an offset now (each different)
    2: mkv files with a resolution 1080i @ 60hz seems to jitter or freeze frames for 0,5 sec during normal playback (720 or lower, 24fps or 50 hz seems to work fine)

Minix is connected to a Samsung es6500 series via hdmi
  5. blue24

blue24 Member

Hi ENDRJUPL,
    Because Gotham is so old I didn't think Minix was thinking that far ahead.
    Thanks for the info (y)
  6. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

004a update installed smoothly and performance in Kodi Helix 14.1 is just as good as it was in 004 if not better.
    This is probably as close as I can get to your wishes, my experience with both 004 and 004a has been faultless.
  7. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

Why do we need a MINIX version of Kodi?

I would rather have the best Minix platform on which I can run whatever version of Kodi I wish.
  8. Hkr

Hkr New Member

Anyone pls?
  9. Cunzie

Cunzie Member

I updated to fw 4 using the fota way i have lost the update and backup app. can someone advise me where i can get it as i need it to make a backup of my system to restore it to my other boxes,

i appreciate your help in advance

cunzie
  10. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

11. Ravendark

Ravendark Member

my X8-H Plus just arrived, I updated to 004A, SPMC 14.2.0 plays perfectly... and the self adaptive refresh switcher works even in MX player...

Very nice!
    Using SetCPU, I raised the CPU max freq to 2Ghz, it was defaulted to 1.6...
    By doing that, antutu score went up to 35522
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    eggz2004 likes this.
  12. blue24

blue24 Member

is it safe to increase the CPU, because there is no internal cooling.
  13. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

I don't think there isn't any internal cooling (I'm sure there is a heatsink, and at minix the heatsinks are really good)...
    The kernel monitors the temperature and throttles down (lowers the frequencies depending on the SoC temperatures)

For a short moment it could help but my tests at the S802 in the past shows that 2GHz is senseless, because the SoC on heavy load reaches really fast at temperature where the kernel begins to throttle down...
  14. ArcticWolfie

ArcticWolfie Member

Sadly, I think it's better to turn off the framerate changer and just use 60hz (3:2 pulldown for 24hz material). Been watching stuff like this for the past 2 days and the judder caused by the pulldown is much less noticable than the frame rate drops at 24hz... :whistle:

But I still would like the Minix team to repair the 24hz 'bug' in the future :p
  15. biggo

biggo New Member

But have they confirmed that the bug is still present? I agree with you 100%. Was watching a movie last night, and at least 8 times, 2-4 seconds of "slow motion" occured. Played smoothly on a Popcorn Hour A400.

Ken?
  16. ArcticWolfie

ArcticWolfie Member

No idea... :( but I can confirm it as well it happens every 2 minutes or so.
    Hooked up my laptop with a HDMI cable and used MPC-HC with framerate change and no issues at all.
  17. liskobrian

liskobrian Member

Yes, please. I need a CWM as well
  18. Ravendark

Ravendark Member

I didn't overclock it, the CPU clock is at 2.0Ghz, for some reason with the stock firmware (this applies for the X8-H) the CPU does not reach full range...
  19. Ironman

Ironman New Member

Can I still use the Update & Backup app that was removed in this update to root my box?
  20. Don Grimme

Don Grimme Member

Hmm. 14.1.

Awhile back, I updated to 14.2 – which I understood addressed some problems with Kodi running on an android platform. And it was recommended for use with a TotalXMBC community build I like very much: Andys Build 4.1.

Indeed, that build does work well with Helix 14.2. [I do get the occasional audio dropouts reported in this forum, but I don't find it to be that disturbing.]