1. Official MINIX forum

Official X8-H PLUS 005 firmware (20150506)

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H PLUS 005 firmware via MINIX FOTA' started by MINIX - Ken, May 8, 2015.

1. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Dear all NEO X8-H Plus users,
    (Please note that this firmware update is available for X8-H PLUS users with 004A 20150421 firmware installed only)

Official 005 firmware has been released via MINIX FOTA.
    It's a differential update package, size: 17.88MB.

Prerequisite for receiving this update:
    1.) Updated to the 004 firmware via MINIX FOTA / USB burning tool;
    http://minixforum.com/threads/official-004-firmware-via-minix-fota.5196/
    2.) Updated to 004A 20150421 firmware via FOTA before;
    3.) No rooting has been done;
    4.) Check for update using this app:
    [​IMG]

Change log (since 004A 20150421 firmware):

1.) Fixed HDMI-CEC power up issue
    2.) Fixed some WEB-DL / 23.976fps videos stuttering issue
    3.) Added Logitech Harmony support (EXPERIMENTAL, not tested since we don't have the device)
    4.) Fixed IMDB app can't launch issue
    5.) Fixed hotspot freezing bug
    6.) Setting default of self-adaptive refresh rate switching feature to OFF <- We have decided to make this default to OFF because lots of users thought it's a bug to have intermittent black screen when the switches take place)

NEVER DISCONNCET THE POWER DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS!!

Cheers,
    Team MINIX.
  2. MINIX - Ken

Full firmware image and .zip package will be uploaded tonight.
    genius.lizard2 likes this.
  3. MINIX - Ken

Full system image with flashing tool:
    Minix server: http://minix.com.hk/firmware/X8H_PLUS_FW005.rar
    Forum Server ( EU ): http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=X8H_PLUS_FW005.rar
    MD5 checksum: 67AD066E9C1198DA1FE43F56E56C5015

USB update.zip package:
    Minix Server http://minix.com.hk/firmware/X8H_PLUS_FW005_USB.zip
    Forum Server ( EU ): http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=X8H_PLUS_FW005_USB.zip
    MD5 checksum: 8872A056EDB8E1CF99D60C961008D605

Please use a download tool that supports resume feature to download a big package,
    e.g. BitComet.

NOTE: NEO X8, NEO X8 PLUS, NEO X8-H will receive the update on next week,
    this firmware is for NEO X8-H PLUS ONLY.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Villa, ChrisMarbella, eltree and 3 others like this.
  4. MINIX - Ken

Forum download links are updated on post #3
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Dr Goodvibes likes this.
  5. pasqui

pasqui New Member

WOW, one more update so close... hard job!! Thanks!

Logitech Harmony support sounds very interesting. Could you give more information (keys, remote configuration, ecc)?

6. moba77

moba77 New Member

Please, tell me how configure Harmony remote !
    bubez81 likes this.
  7. Dr Goodvibes

Dr Goodvibes Active Member

Model: X8H-Plus
    Firmware: 005

I have tested IMDB and WiFi hotspot with YouTube run locally and Speedtest run on a remote device and all works well.

I think I speak for everyone in thanking Minix and @MINIX - Ken for their continued support and timely updates.
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
    benster, Higgs and MINIX - Ken like this.
  8. Dutch

Dutch New Member

As you might have noticed I just registered. I did so because i`m planning on rooting my device. I would like to use Greenify :)
    5 days ago I updated my X8-H Plus using the "Check for firmware update" function from the Advanced settings menu. I`m now running the latest firmware.
    2 questions:

1) Can I use the same update procedure to receive this update? (the procedure I just mentioned)
    2) When I root my device will I sill be able to receive the updates via the Advanced settings menu?

Thanks in advance
  9. ntux

ntux New Member

Good news!

And thanks for the zip package, much appreciated!
  10. Fructis

Fructis Member

Thanks Minix Team! You're awesome!

I do have a question though:
    Can i do a FOTA if i use the 005 Beta? Because the System update app says i already have the latest firmware. Is this because the system recognize the beta as a full 005 firmware?
  11. mundano

mundano Member

1) Yes... The procedure is always the same.

2) Yes... But at your risk. If you modify you system partition obviously there are chances that differential updates might not work OK. But, so far, there are lots of users with root and there are no reports that it broke updates.

Be be aware of 2 things:
    - You, will loose root whenever there are a new OTA.
    - Some apps refuse to work when your system is rooted. High Definition Video providers and apps generally don't like that you have root.
  12. Dutch

Dutch New Member

@mundano
    Thank`s for the reply.
    By High Definition Video providers, you mean Codecs or the android equivalent to Windows drivers?
    Also, I have a GT-N7100 (Samsung Galaxy Note 2) on custom ROM and kernel (DN4) and have not yet experienced any issues with apps that limit the use of my phablet because of root acces. In the contrary, some apps actually perform better.
    Have you experienced any problems with root & MINX devices?
  13. Fructis

Fructis Member

Does it work for you guy to download from the link? For me it starts to download a couple of minutes and after that it says its finished but the file is corrupted.
  14. MINIX - Ken

15. MINIX - Ken

Please use a download tool that supports resume feature to download a big package,
    e.g. BitComet.
  16. mundano

mundano Member

Just as an example, it has been reported that Vidon doesn't work on rooted boxes... Look here: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x8-h-plus-005-beta-firmware-20150430.5659/page-3#post-51462

I haven't had any issued myself, but I didn't rooted latest firmwares because I didn't had the need.
  17. Dutch

Dutch New Member

18. adi_tca

adi_tca Trusted Helper Trusted Helper

There are already applications that are checking if your device is rooted or not, like:
    - Live TV streaming apps (usually bundled with your TV subscription or not) from several TV providers. This is related to the restriction from content providers that do not want users to record their content. Rooting detected prevents the live TV video stream to be passed to the player (you may or may not have have audio and "black screen").
    - there are also some banking (Barclays Bank is one example, as far as I know) apps that are not working in case you have root
    Dr Goodvibes and MINIX - Ken like this.
  19. Andi

Andi New Member

I have installed 005Beta - If I update using the zip, does it make a fresh install (so I have to install everything from the beginning) or it keeps the apps/customizations I have made?
  20. Fructis

Fructis Member