1. Official MINIX forum

Official X8-H PLUS 008A firmware (20160114)

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H PLUS 008 firmware via MINIX FOTA' started by MINIX - Ken, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

FOTA is available but sadly the LED is still not visible!
    darrigo424 likes this.
  2. Menorca Man

Menorca Man Active Member Trusted Helper

I modified my box by drilling a 1mm hole directly in front of the blue power led. Perfect!! I've carried out the mod on a further two X8 series boxes owned by friends and they are delighted with the result. :)

If anyone's interested here is how to proceed:

1. Unclip the bottom of the case, unscrew the nut holding the aerial socket and remove the circuit board complete with the aerial lead/connector.
    2. From the inside of the case you will see a small circular depression within a rectangular scoop in the plastic where the blue led shines through.
    3. Turn the case on its side with a soft cloth (tea towel?) between it and a flat surface such that the circular depression is facing upwards.
    4. From the inside of the case locate the centre of the circular depression and, using a sharp pin or needle, make an indentation sufficiently deep to just see it from the outside of the case. The plastic is quite hard so you will probably need to tap the pin or needle with a small hammer or something similar.
    5. Once you see the indentation on the outside of the case, use the pin or needle to make a dent in the centre of it so that it acts as a drill guide.
    6. Using a 1mm bit, gently drill through the case from the outside. Lightly chamfer the outside and inside of the hole using a 2mm drill held in your fingers.
    7. Reassemble the Minix box when finished.

Note: You need to think carefully before carrying out this modification as it will invalidate any warranty you may still have.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    darrigo424 likes this.
  3. nikeb

nikeb New Member

Sorry if i return to my issue (dropping audio).

Do you guys think i must use the usb burning tool and flash everything?
    Or i might use the usb.zip method?

I don't event know if it's working because i'm already on 008a firmware.

I really hope everything will be ok, cause will took me at least all week end to rebuild everything.
    And hope next updates will not make that issue coming back.
  4. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

You could copy the hidden folder .Kodi and copy it back after the rebuild. That should maintain all you Kodi specifics.

I don't know why but MINIX have greyed out the backup&reset select account option in Android settings that would allow us to backup and reset our android app/options thus saving more time.
    akchee likes this.
  5. nikeb

nikeb New Member

yes, that's what i'm trying to do (along that backup addon that it's in kodi)
    that's would make the kodi rebuild fast, but i hope the other apps will be fast too.

Do i have to use the usb burning tool or may i use the usb.zip method to solve that?
  6. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

I have never used the backup tool so I don't know what it backs up and restores. I just copy .Kodi and it contains all my Kodi specifics.

I do not know what you need to do to get rid of your audio problem.

Hopefully someone else will let you know.
  7. Fpsmn

Fpsmn New Member

Hi, I downloaded the file again using a download manager because the MD5 checksum didn't match 74AD3C0C13BA5B2636CAC9C374307130 , 535MB mentioned when i visit this forum on Imac. But when i checked this message on a windows computer the checksum is 329C412D0598259C7CD1837F2F6ABEDA which was the correct checksum afterall. I don't know why this is different but maybe its good to know for other users that this difference exists..
  8. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

I'm not sure I understand your post but the correct MD5 checksums for the files are as shown in the first post;

Full system image
    MD5 checksum: 011A3AD1DD535585F74DF39C4F695D94 , 501MB

USB .zip update package
    MD5 checksum: 74AD3C0C13BA5B2636CAC9C374307130 , 535MB

Edit: I think I know where you went wrong. You are mixing up this X8-H Plus firmware with the X8/X8Plus/X8-H firmware as shown below
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x8-x8-plus-x8-h-official-firmware-008-20160115.10455/

Please be careful to download the correct firmware file for your device
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Fpsmn likes this.
  9. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

How do you check the checksum of a downloaded file?
  10. Higgs

11. Jeffers24

Jeffers24 Active Member

12. niner86

niner86 New Member

Tried this as well as wiping the cache partition and still the problem persists. Happens outwith Kodi also, especially Spotify or the BBC I player android App. Any other ideas folks? Would rather not have to send the box back if I can help it
  13. Fpsmn

Fpsmn New Member

Yes you're right! I'm sorry. I must say all this types of Minix's with almost the same names i a bit confusing. Sorry for this!
  14. Higgs

15. Ken_G

Ken_G New Member

From an original never updated X8-H to 008 using SD card to 007A then FOTA to 008. Worked like a charm with zero pain. Thanks!!

...ken...
  16. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Good! :) But do you know you're in the X8-H Plus forum? :unsure:

I do hope you used the correct firmware for the X8-H ! (y)
  17. Ken_G

Ken_G New Member

Yep. But after careful checking it looked like the same approach would work for the H. And save me a ton of work getting from pre-002 to 008!

Oh yes. I'm way too lazy to overlook something so obvious. ;)

Speaking of lazy, I don't suppose anyone knows if a similar approach is available for a virgin X7, short of flashing the latest full release?

...ken... <ducking and running> :eek:
  18. Ken_G

Ken_G New Member

Figured it out in case anyone's doing a keyword search and discovers the question. Download 010 and update from any earlier version using the "update.zip" method described on the 010 distribution page, then you can OTA the latest.

...ken... <getting outa here for real this time!> :whistle:
  19. Higgs

Not quite right. This will give you the latest JB firmware. But there is official KitKat firmware available but you need to flash it using the rk flash tool;
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/h...irmware-for-minix-x7-mini-x7-x5-mini-x5.5230/
  20. Ken_G

Ken_G New Member

Now you tell me. :) Just discovered it the hard way.

Thanks for the link. Saves hunting.

...ken...