1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Openelec for U1?

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by vdg, Dec 18, 2015.

1. vdg

vdg New Member

I am a big fan of Openelec so I wonder if we can use any Openeelec ARM distro for the U1?

I know the other Minix devices work under Openelec, but I am not sure if U1 works as well and which image should be used..?

thanks!
  2. beireran

beireran New Member

Very interested in that as well.
  3. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

I think it's too early now... you have to wait for a 905 version which has to be coded/compiled with the correct SDK to get eg. the matching drivers and so on...
  4. beireran

beireran New Member

Oh, I can wait :)
  5. fr4nc3sc0

fr4nc3sc0 New Member

6. ArceeKay

ArceeKay Active Member

Currently using @surkovalex build of OpenElec on the X8-H Plus and considering upgrade to U1.
    But indeed, it's almost conditional to know OpenElec is a possibility before buying the U1.
    Are there any builds out there yet? I'm willing to move in an early stage and test (like I did for the X8-H/X8-H Plus).
  7. skynet

skynet Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

I like Openelec too, but guys why do you want to loose all Android fonctionnality for a very limited Linix distro ?
    On minix you can upgrade Kody with official version, and profit all android goodies.
    I have a Rpi2 with Openelec distro at home but it's now never used.
  8. mikkelnl

mikkelnl Member

Will running OpenELEC on a U1 allow Kodi to switch refreshrates to match video? If so: that alone would be worth me trying OpenELEC since Minix 'self-adaptive refresh rate switching' isn't working for me and Minix seems to block Kodi doing this. (Not sure though!).

Further: I was expecting a wildly different 'Android experience'. At the moment, Minix box is like an Android Tablet, I was expecting 'Android TV'. This is purely my fault, I should've read more before buying it ;) So in my case: I use no other Android apps, only Kodi.
  9. newbie99

I don't understand why sometimes some threads are going away???

Thereonce existed another thread where it was already discussed... there exist the first builds for S905 but of course not for the U1 and also of course nobody knows if these first builds will work on the U1 (I don't think so)...
  10. skynet

skynet Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

Ok ;)
    Yes, i also noted that OpenElec can switch refreshrate, i forgot it ;)
    So, if you search for an only Kodi solution, try to follow this great Kodi distribution, based on a smaller linux kernel, OSMC : https://osmc.tv/
    They have also a great community.
  11. mikkelnl

mikkelnl Member

I've seen osmc before indeed. But I guess it won't run on U1 hardware atm.
  12. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

This one?
    http://www.minixforum.com/index.php?posts/84154

(Threads aren't going away but they will drop down the order depending on last post date. Search seems to work okay

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
  13. newbie99

My mistake ;) I had looked (manually searched) at FAQ and not at FW section...
  14. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

It needs moved to the custom rom section. Now where's all the moderators when you need one

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
  15. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Sorry, I just got back from a, MINIX Forum free, weekend away! ;):p
    Higgs likes this.
  16. aurrian

aurrian New Member

I'd like to know when it's available too, but think I'd now miss using the iplayer, amazon video, 4OD android apps - which i know will be kept up to date and working.
  17. mikkelnl

mikkelnl Member

I keep looking for more news also but guess it's not happening any time soon :(

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
  18. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

Don't see the point in putting openelec on something like a Minix, I've tried it twice now on the x8h plus and gone back to android each time. You lose all the features of android like a web browser and file manager. Minix put a lot of effort into perfecting the Minix firmware so there's no need for openelec, not for streaming with kodi anyway. Openelec can save a shit android box with buggy old firmware but wastes a good box in my opinion
    skynet, newbie99, Villa and 1 other person like this.
  19. 9800pro

9800pro Active Member

Well it does solve frame skipping and stuttering issue which are bound to amlogic /android combo. Also forget 192khz on Android, openelec does it. It would be really nice if someone did official OE release for U1.
  20. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

Lollipop supports hi res audio ie 192khz etc. I'd still like to try an official OE release on my 18 month old x8h plus but it is a waste on a U1 in my opinion