1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

openelec on minix

Discussion in 'NEO U1 Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by richard lee cooper, Jan 22, 2016.

1. I'm hearing its best put openlec on my u1 box is this true and how would I do it
  2. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

3. Thanx I wait see if minix release one don't want mess box up
  4. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

I doubt if Minix will release an OpenElec OS for it. A community member might but why do you want it?
  5. People just keep going on how good it is I probably just leave it as it is
  6. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

People?
    You should probably do a bit more research on your own before deciding to limit the box in this way. If all you want is Kodi then maybe OpenElec will suit you (provided you can get it installed on the U1). I can see the advantage on hardware with limited resources but why limit a box with these specs to a single app?
    Having said that, on the X8-H Plus forum you'll find several users using an OpenElec OS. They might be in a better position to advise you of the advantages and disadvantages.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    DutchDiversion likes this.
  7. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

If you only want to use KODI and nothing else then the openELEC could be a solution, but then I have to ask, why you buy a device like the U1...
    At the S8xx most use it at unsuported noname devices with bad Android implementation (I know also some at the X8 but that's something which/what I can't understand).
    Bennett83 likes this.
  8. ArceeKay

ArceeKay Active Member

I'm a fan of OpenElec and am running it on the X8-H and X8-H Plus. There is lots of reasons why I like it. First, I don't need all the Android stuff. I bought my Minix as a media player period. And OpenElec does just that. But better. It boots up faster, much faster. I often use kodi only for music, and with OpenElec I just need to switch on only my amp and the Minix and then I'm off listening to music. No need to turn on the TV as I control kodi with Kodi Music Remote on my iPad. Second, and most importantly, in OpenElec audio files (PCM, so FLAC, MP3, etc) play back through SPDIF and HDMI in their original resolution. So 24/96 plays back 24/96. And 16/44.1 plays back 16/44.1. Android resamples everything to 16/48 which is not good. Then, also video files just play back better in OpenElec. I rarely have issues. And OpenElec makes kodi more easily customizable. The directories to configure kodi are simple SMB shares. In short, kodi is all I need and it just runs faster and better on OpenElec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bennett83 likes this.
  9. Ales Horak

Ales Horak New Member

Hi,
    as for openelec on NEO U1 - I would like to install Tvheadend on U1 to have DVB-T locally without a need to run a different server just for the TV access. As I have researched so far, Tvheadend does not run on U1 (there was a quite complicated installation on X8, which needed rooting and other things), but should be easily installed in openelec.
  10. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

Pretty much the reason why I put it on my x8h plus. I wouldn't do it to a brand new box like a U1 as it defeats the object of buying a relatively expensive box in the first place. On one hand openelec kodi runs better but on the other you're behind by at least a version.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  11. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

You could easily be disappointed as you lose the functionality of Android, no Android apps, Web browsers, email, file managers etc. I use it because it runs kodi smoother and for the audio reasons arceekay explained. Openelec(at least the x8h plus version) isn't perfect and you won't get the support you do with the official minix firmware. By all means try it but I'd wait until a) your box is out of warranty and b) a fully working openelec is available
  12. sg86

sg86 New Member

I don't want android resampling my audio, which i just found out it does. Is that a good enough reason?
  13. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

Yes, OpenELEC is excellent in that respect, also the aeon 6 kodi skin is especially good, when you play a song it'll give you a nice background, media info and download the lyrics
  14. refael

refael Member

I moved to openelec 2 mounth ago and no doubt its running smoother on my x8-h+ .
    the only thing bothers me is that the right mouse is not program to go back 1 step, its going strait to the home page.

Refael
  15. skynet

skynet Active Member

Do you use a real mouse or a A2 lite air command ?

We had the same issue with A2 lite and Kodi/XMBC : http://www.minixforum.com/threads/fix-a2-a2-lite-back-button-in-xbmc.3294/
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  16. refael

refael Member

a real mouse.
  17. skynet

skynet Active Member

Then try to find the good number key and put the keymaps into kodi's folder as explained in the topic.
    No more idea.
  18. refael

refael Member

Thanks .which topic?
  19. skynet

skynet Active Member

20. Henrysbox

Henrysbox New Member

Its been a while now, I wonder if we now have an update on this. I have a NEO U1 looking forward for openelec.
    Cheers! :)