1. Official MINIX forum -Forum was offline for maintainance during last weekend and is back online now.

Openelec on Neo x8 ?

Discussion in 'X8-H & X8/Plus Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by Jönke, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Jönke

Jönke New Member

Anybody tried if codesnakes openelec build for amlogic works on Neo x8?
  2. Vidman

Vidman Member

Why would you?
  3. theDriver

theDriver New Member

Would like to know aswell.

For a reason, different than XBMC on Android, XBMC on openELEC (linux) can adapt the refreshrate to match the framerate of content.
  4. bignjato

bignjato New Member

Because I don't need android but only xbmc ! ;)
    Openelec is best xbmc software platform!
    Sm4sh likes this.
  5. theDriver

theDriver New Member

6. bignjato

bignjato New Member

7. Mafarricos

Mafarricos Member

Latest firmware with latest minix xmbc already does that.
  8. theDriver

theDriver New Member

9. bignjato

bignjato New Member

Yes I posted your post there
  10. Vidman

Vidman Member

Xbmc on this device has every feature of openelec + more and it can run android apps and games
  11. Jönke

Jönke New Member

Yes its good but no tv backend like vdr or tvheadend. Openelec have it and moore useful things
  12. Vidman

Vidman Member

So you use a USB tv tuner? What other useful things?
  13. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

Each to their own. If they get it working feel free to post it up here!!
    Some people would want it for their own reasons, no one should try and talk them out of it :)
    We support people trying something different, if you want to make your X8 into a toaster or kettle you will get a pat on the back from me :D
    Some people like to tinker, some people like to make their devices do things they weren't designed for.

Why did the man climb the mountain?
    Because it was there
    baz1205 likes this.
  14. Vidman

Vidman Member

I'm not trying to talk them out of it. ..I'm trying to understand why they want to
  15. Gh0st

Gh0st Australia's Finest Since 1981 Administrator

I havent used openelec myself but some people I know swear by it and would not use any other version.
    I really wanted it a couple years ago on the X5 but Im happy with how the Droid version has matured now, especially on the X8 and X6
  16. jdpug

jdpug New Member

At the moment (Firmware 02 and Minix XMBC beta 6) I'm getting issues with amcodec producing stuttering at regular (around 4 min 10 sec) intervals with 23.976fps 720p mkv files :(
    IF linux can provide better hardware decoding drivers, then converting my X8 to OpenELEC would be something I'd happily consider.
    Not sure if linux provides a superior AMLogic decoder?
    Most my files are 720P and software decoding is butter smooth on them - but it is a pain to swap software and hardware decoding for different files though!
  17. arko

arko Member

ok. can someone put a link with working rom OpenElec for minix x8h pls.
  18. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member

there isnt one
  19. arko

arko Member

20. Waylon

Waylon Member

Openelec would be a gem on a minix box.