1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Openelec on Neo x8 ?

Discussion in 'X8-H & X8/Plus Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by J├Ânke, Nov 13, 2014.

1. yonatandror

yonatandror New Member

Ok, I will try it. But why not use the genuine PLAY/STOP buttons on the Harmony remote? They are free anyway and dont have a use.

Let me see if I understand it.
    1. Under MyHarmony, Device (NEO MX5), assign vol+ and vol- to play and stop (From where?).
    2. In KODI assign those keys using Keymapper add on.
    3. In Watch Movie activity, assign PLAY/STOP buttons to MX5 Vol+ and Vol-.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. ArceeKay

ArceeKay Active Member

Nope, when you select the Minix Neo X5 none of the buttons work in Openelec. So, just select the X8-H or the X8-H Plus. Do not assign the Volume Up or Down buttons but instead in stop tell MyHarmony to use volume control of your TV or your Amp. As then you cannot assign VolumeUp and VolumeDown anywhere, leave them and add a command using the button on the lower right. Then, call the button anything (I called it '+') and learn the + button. Same for the - button. Then drag these two buttons to play and stop. Sync your Harmony then take it to your Minix. And then, with the Keymapper, assign play and stop as you described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Eryan

Eryan New Member

Hi Forum

Just wanted to download the openelec-amlogic.x8hp.arm-5.0.5.zip image from amlinux.ru, but I just noticed that is not possible to access it. I would like to test the 5.0.5 before going to 5.0.8. Can somebody share with me the 5.0.5 image?

Thanks in advance!
  4. Edwin

Edwin Member

After experiencing another video-freeze i took a look at the log file
    I noticed that on the time of the freeze, the 'xbmc library auto update' - addon was kicking in
    I placed it settings to 'run when idle' and will see if this helps or not, it seems that this addon does a network check right when it launches..this might interfere with the playback,it might be a long shot but i felt i should share this info ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  5. ArceeKay

ArceeKay Active Member

Hi Edwin, I have had lots of issues with the library auto update add-in. I have removed it months ago. Maybe that is why I'm not having many video freezes. Just remove that add-in and trigger library updates manually when you add new content and your whole Kodi experience will improve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Arceekay,

On the version i am using , version 0.9.7 , i can set it to activate when idle, since the box never is a 100% idle, it simply does not run until i trigger it manually
    I have watched a couple of series and so far, no freeze-up has been seen , i will have to view some more before being able to conclude this library auto update app was responsible for it but so far, it is looking good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  7. PelegW

PelegW New Member

Hi Forum,
    I installed 5.0.8 on my X8-Plus and it works great, except it won't detect any of my arduino boards making my ambient light useless. I since gone back to the original firmware to get it working again, but would still like to see arduino support for arm openelec.
    From what I can see, Arduino Uno works usinc cdc_acm driver, but the Nano won't connect to Minix. I suspect it needs ftdi_sio to work correctly.
    Is there a chance to see those two modules on OE for Minix?
    minhnkt likes this.
  8. Eryan

Eryan New Member

I managed to load both 5.0.5 and 5.0.8 in my X8-H. However, both of them are having issues:

-5.0.5 loads without issues but I have no way to connect it to the internet. Althhough the wireless is on, the Minix does not catch any of my wireless networks. Did anybody had this problem?

-5.0.8 loads pretty much without problems. However, the system freezes randomly. Also, loaded Plexbmc add-on but it keeps disconnecting from my plex server and the only way to force it to see the server again is restarting the Minix.

I think I'll stay with the 5.0.5, but only if I manage to fix the Wifi issue. Any ideas what could be the problem?
  9. JH NTU

JH NTU New Member

10. JH NTU

JH NTU New Member

Ignore me
  11. JH NTU

JH NTU New Member

Sent from my Y635-L02 using Tapatalk

Ignore this also
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  12. minhnkt

minhnkt New Member

Hi PelegW,
    Thanks for your infomation, im using my ambient light but only on my raspberry pi 2. Seem that you can use it with the original firmware of ur MiniX X8H-Plus ? Could you help me how to get my arduino ambilight works on my minix ?
  13. yann1638

yann1638 New Member

Do you happen to know if this installation guide works for the X8-H Plus aswell?
  14. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

15. yann1638

yann1638 New Member

Thank you.

I know the X8-H Plus chipset is S812, shouldn't I use the S806-S812 version?
  16. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

17. yann1638

yann1638 New Member

Yes, that's why im asking why I need to install the X8HP insted of the S812 version that he suggesting.
  18. MuscleMan2000

MuscleMan2000 Member

For x8h and 8h plus use the X8HP
  19. impressme

impressme New Member

Sure glad to discover the Minix NEO X8-H Plus can run OpenELEC. I'll be installing it tonight. So pumped! Thanks folks!
  20. eXcaliburN

eXcaliburN New Member

Are there any links to these (or updated versions of these) builds?