1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Optimum Advancedsettings.xml Cache settings

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by Andrew, May 5, 2017.

1. Andrew

Andrew Member

All I've really done since receiving my U9-H, installing Kodi 17.1 and my favourite repos and add-ons is to upgrade the U9-H to FW004A.

Based on another thread on this forum and reading some "other advice" I loaded an advancedsettings.html file to Kodi but I'm not certain if the settings are optimum or even correct.

The settings file I initially loaded were:
    <advancedsettings>
    <network>
    <buffermode> 1 </buffermode>
    <readbufferfactor> 8.0 </readbufferfactor>
    <cachemembuffersize> 104857600 </cachemembuffersize>
    </network>
    </advancedsettings>

However, based on the the How to modify Cache Wiki at:
    http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_cache

According to the Wiki I should be using the below Kodi 17.1 settings for a box with RAM of 1gb although I am still not sure of the correct memory setting for the 2gb U9-H or the readfactor of 20?
    I do (try to) watch a little live streaming like the F1 races but lately have had little joy because of the buffering there. Most other streams seem to be reasonable. My main use is streaming from my Win 7 PC which works fine to my 1080p TV.

<advancedsettings>
    <cache>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <memorysize>139460608</memorysize>
    <readfactor>20</readfactor>
    </cache>
    </advancedsettings>

Can anyone offer any further advice on optimum settings?
    :unsure::unsure:
  2. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

here are the settings i use for U9 , Kodi 17.1....seems to work well

you will never completely eliminate buffering on live streams...its live !

and it should be advancedsettings.xml

Attached Files:

3. Andrew

Andrew Member

Thanks! I understand there may always be some buffering on live streams. Your settings look more "informed" than mine.
    I'll give them a try.
    Thanks again!
    Dr Goodvibes likes this.
  4. mrgoodkat

mrgoodkat New Member

I set mine to "memorysize 420000000" which is roughly 400mb or one third of available RAM.
    Readfactor 4. Don't think 20 will make much of a difference.
    Andrew likes this.
  5. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I think a lot depends on the internet speed as well. I'm on fiber 100mbps up and down, have not modified my settings yet, and never have a buffer problem.
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  6. mrgoodkat

mrgoodkat New Member

I only stream over Gigabit Ethernet and without editing the settings most 4k UHD movies stutter at the beginning. Only for a few seconds, but with those settings they play smoothly.
  7. Andrew

Andrew Member

Many factors involved. We have fibre with 50/20mbps.
    I was using an X7 which had advanced settings which I replaced recentry with the U9-H and no advanced settings. Streaming from my PC now over 802.11n wifi up to 1080p has been fine as were many other streams over the net. Live streaming off the net seemed problematic and live F1 from the Sky F1 channel was appalling (due to local demand maybe?).
    In any case I thought I'd implement the advanced settings on U9 but haven't been able to find the right info. Until now....
  8. sangaz

sangaz Member

I like the advancesetting @Frederick_99 it works well.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    Geoff Boardman likes this.
  9. ENDRJUPL

ENDRJUPL Well-Known Member Super Moderator

The "splash" entry in this advancedsettings gives you the certainty that the whole file works. It deletes the kodi splash screen at the start of the application if the file is correct.
  10. Frederick_99

yes, its a good test the file is being read (y)
    Andrew likes this.
  11. Andrew

Andrew Member

From the above I can now confirm the advanced settings file works and think "Fredericks" setup seems pretty optimal for the U9-H. At least for me and looks like for a couple of others as well.

As a related aside we arranged for an ISP tech to visit today. We have not been achieving speeds per our contract and for some reason performance has progressively been getting worse over a month or two even though we have still been able to use the internet and stream to multiple devices.

The ISP rep confirmed performance was not as it should be and had some changes made at their end.
    Now in hindsight I expect a lot of retries may have been happening. Following his changes it has improved greatly and this is confirmed by watching some streamed content with no apparent buffering when it had been terrible earlier today. I've checked this out over a couple of hours.

All in all I'm a happy camper again and can also say that the U9-H performs well!

Thanks to all of you who responded with comments and suggestions and particular kudos to Frederick_99! (y)(y)(y)

Maybe a moderator can place an appropriate extract from this thread into the U9-H FAQs and Tips thread (which is currently empty) for others who are looking for how best to establish at least initial advanced settings parameters for caching.
    steveg32 and Geoff Boardman like this.
  12. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

I've put this thread sticky.
  13. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Active Member

You may want to add - How to install an advancedsettings.xml file:

1) Copy settings and save to a plain text file named obviously - advancedsettings.xml - save this file to a USB stick.
    2) Plug in Stick - start Kodi Krypton > Settings > Filemanager
    3) Copy (Long Press Middle remote button) advancedsettings.xml file from Window "A" into Profile Directory in Window "B"
    4) Exit and Restart Kodi
    5) Cross Fingers and Toes ! :barefoot:
  14. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

Great Sticky as most of us know without this simple mod there may be buffering problems, especially on slower bandwidth internet connections. And for those that just want to install a nice working pre done file, go up to @Frederick_99 post, where he posted his. It is configured nicely.
  15. Autoroam

Autoroam New Member

Just wondering….if I have Frederick's advanced settings file (thanks my man) on a thumb drive and attached to the U9, can I just use ES Explorer to copy the file and then paste it into Kodi 17's User Data>Addon Data folder?
  16. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Yes, but it goes in the userdata folder not the Addon Data folder
    steveg32 and Andrew like this.
  17. Autoroam

Autoroam New Member

Thanks Higgs….managed to copy it without a problem.
  18. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

And for those interested in moving all their Thmbnails to the MicroSD or external drive storage, to increase main memory, you can add this to the advancedsettings.xml file.

<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
    <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>/storage/BC1422F71422B3F4/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/Thumbnails/</to>
    </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

Everything should stay the same, except change BC1422F71422B3F4 to the number your U9 uses for whichever storage device you want to move them to. I chose my Sandisk Ultra Plus 64gb MicroSD card. You can find the device number by loading your favorite file manager or even file manager in KODI. I didn't realize I had over 700mb of thumbnails.
    edit:
    I forgot to add: I deleted the old thumbnail folders, under Thumbnails, after I checked to see that they were all repopulating to the new location.
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Villa and ENDRJUPL like this.
  19. Frederick_99

if you do this do the "maintenance tools" available in a number of program addons, ie indigo or ares wizard, still work correctly when deleting thumbnails, cache etc ?
  20. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I don't use any third party auto tools like Indigo or Ares Wizard, so I can't comment. For me, addons like Indigo and Ares Wizard, as well as custom builds, have too much bloatware and hinders performance. However it works fine with every addon I have installed. It did take a little while to repopulate the thumbnails.
    You can add it to your advancedsettings.xml, and not remove the physical folders, or just rename the old thumbnails folder to test it. If it causes problems for you, just remove from the advancedsettings.xml file and rename the Thumbnails folder back.