1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Optimum Advancedsettings.xml Cache settings

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by Andrew, May 5, 2017.

1. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

imho neither indigo or the ares wizard have ever caused me any issues, are not bloatware , nor hinder performance
  2. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

You may be right. I work on these and other boxes every day, and load them to the max and minimum. So maybe I see some slowness with them, because of it. I noticed a slowdown on menu responses. And I didn't see the benefit of having them when I can do most of the stuff myself. I guess I'm weird I just like clean.
    I loaded and tested the No limits Magic Build once. It was very cool and overkill at the same time. After 2 days of lagging screens and slow loading, I factory reset and went back to my regular way of setting up. I personally don't like any custom builds because they are loaded with so many similar and useless addons. To me they are more for show.
    I guess we all have our preferences.
  3. Frederick_99

agreed, i don't install builds for myself either for exactly the same reason as yourself....however both indigo and ares wizard are not builds and provide some features i personally find very useful !
  4. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I'll have to take a second look. Ares is a little overkill for me because I don't care about all the builds and extras. And tvaddons.ag gets a little aggressive at times. Indigo was giving popup ads on my screen, so I deep six'd it.
  5. Frederick_99

Agree about ares wizard..i dont use the addons or builds section but i quite like some features in their other sections.
    tvaddons...you can turn of their notifications easily enough....doesn't really offer much more than ares wizard in terms of tools, but i do use their addon installer from time to time
  6. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Why not?
    I'm nowhere near my box right now but I'm sure the clear cache option is still there somewhere.
    FWIW I don't remember having to do this and I don't use any maintenance tools either.
  7. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Here...

Screenshot_20170517-153643.png

and here...

Screenshot_20170517-153725.png
    mark2 likes this.
  8. jaminis

jaminis New Member

Thanks Villa, yes I had just found the way of your 2nd pic a few minutes ago that's why I removed my stupid question. Sorry, I don't know why I didn't think to go in to storage before. I guess I was too wrapped up in trying to get my thumbnail advanced setting working : ) Cheers
  9. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

Went to install ares and the repository does not exist. I typed in the url several times. I gonna wait a bit and try again in case they were down.
  10. Frederick_99

wow.....i have managed to have something working on my U9 that you haven't on yours !! .....:)

correct URL for Ares is http://repo.ares-project.com/magic/

is currently up and running and i haven't experienced any down time with it
  11. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

That's the url I used. It must have been down for maintenance. I'll try again, thanks.
  12. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

2 follow ups:
    First regarding moving thumbnails to SD card, I put my thumbnails back to the box. I just didn't like the continuous lagging waiting for thumbnails to propagate, when changing pages. My MicroSD card is very fast, so I assume the port isn't.

Second for @Frederick_99, I have tried to install Ares several times, using the correct URL for Ares is http://repo.ares-project.com/magic/. However, KODI tells me it does not exist and suggests I check my internet connection. I'm at a loss since my internet connection is fine and all other repos and addons work. I've keep removing the link and in system, file manager, add source, I re-type http://repo.ares-project.com/magic/ with the same results. Very strange.
  13. Frederick_99

very strange as when you click on the hyper link you have provided it correctly goes to their repository...maybe you are geoblocked ?
  14. Smartie36

Smartie36 Active Member

My experience of using indigo goes against your opinion that it hinders performance, I have no problems on my install, as for bloatware, can't say I've found any, the only annoyance I had was the notifications which can easily be disabled.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  15. Villa

I tried and it installed just fine! :)
  16. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Make sure you have selected allow unknown sources in addons
    Only installs for me second try , first try always says failed
  17. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I'm not geoblocked because I can go to the URL and see everything. KODI won't recognize it as a valid URL.
  18. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

It's obviously a settings issue as other users can add this as a source without any issues. You should check your settings.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Frederick_99 likes this.
  19. Villa

FYI I installed in to an untouched fresh Kodi 17.3 install.
  20. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

Turns out my eyes were playing tricks. I was typing with the A2 Lite and used a ~ instead of a -.:oops::eek:
    The funny thing is I re-typed it in 4 separate times.:censored::ROFLMAO:

Back on topic, After changing the thumbnail storage settings to store on my MicroSD card, I'm back running the U9 with the thumbnail storage back to default. After waiting for the pages to gather the thumbnails and re-propagate, I can clearly see that the pages load faster and smoother, with no lag. I have only tested it with my interface which is Black Glass Nova. It may or may not make a speed difference with the stock interface. I'm not sure which setting would be best, but I would personally rather have a faster, smoother running interface, than save a couple hundred megabytes.
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Villa likes this.