1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Optimum Advancedsettings.xml Cache settings

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by Andrew, May 5, 2017.

1. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

2. wapvi

wapvi Member

3. Frederick_99

post a sample or a link and i'll give it a whirl
  4. wapvi

wapvi Member

A sample of what exactly?sorry I didn't get it
  5. Frederick_99

a sample or link of a 4k uhd file that you cant play smoothly over your LAN
  6. wapvi

wapvi Member

All of them, mostly remuxes of UHD Blu-ray
  7. otchill

otchill Member

Hi Guys,

I have got minix X7. Is it possible to use Frederick's XML file as advancedsettings for X7? If needed, which line should i revise??

thanks in advance your feedback..
  8. sangaz

sangaz Member

Frederick XML file is for Kodi 17, so it depends on what version of Kodi you have on your x7

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    otchill and Frederick_99 like this.
  9. otchill

otchill Member

I am using kodi 17.1, therefore i think i can use this xml file.
  10. CybeRider

CybeRider Member

I'm quite impressed with this advancesettings from @Frederick_99 . Flawless 4k over WIFI 100Mb Internet, 15 metres away from hub. How come I only found this now? I was thinking it was impossible. The way I read it it also removes stress from the HD since the content is cached at RAM. My U1 and myself are very grateful Sir. (y)
  11. wapvi

wapvi Member

Are you using a NAS?I think something is wrong with my box as even direct play from my usb HDD is choppy after the first 30 seconds
  12. CybeRider

CybeRider Member

I tried several things and file types. Mostly H264 1080p. Either from pen drive directly attached to the unit, but also from an old 300GB external drive attached to an old 1.0Ghz Celeron computer (they still exist :p) in the network, so yes it reaches the Minix box through WIFI. All almost flawless so far.

But I have to admit my WIFI 2.4MHz channel is near to clear. Yet one thing I'm thinking from reading your message is that it could be the RAM that is not so free to allow these settings to run smoothly. The settings as they are cache (and please correct me if I'm wrong) 200MB of the free ram.

I know my Minix normally runs around 680MB free ram for Kodi or Minix Xbmc, so 200MB is close to the 1/3 maximum recommended by Kodi.

I adjusted the advancesettings file for the Minix XBMC 16.3 (parameters are different from the ones for kodi 17) and the results I got are just as great, if I really want to be accurate maybe even smoother than Kodi, but that is why I keep Minix Xbmc. I use Kodi to handle internet https addons issue basically. For my own files I rather use Minix Xbmc.

I also cache clear Kodi and Xbmc everytime prior to using any of them and sometimes close them in the box settings for fresh starts.

EDIT: My 4k NAS testing results are actually not that great. A 4k 96fps (see bellow) that runs fine from the box hard drive really stalls through my WIFI. But that is probably related to the fact that it is streaming from a 15 years old equipment with slow drives and low specs, since Kodi doesn't get the data fast enough as it did through my internet streaming tests. :oops:

This one for instance, played great from internal HD with Minix Xbmc, but it stutters in Kodi, even after a total apps shutdown:

http://4ksamples.com/honey-bees-96fps-in-4k-ultra-hd/

Same circumstances this one should play fine:

http://4ksamples.com/elysium-2013-2160p-1-minute-sample-footage/

I had to turn off the box and then back on and close all apps for these testings as the results before this action were getting worse than perfect. Maybe the box has trouble clearing the ram in between clips.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  13. DANGALGOM

DANGALGOM New Member

So, for Kodi 17 working in U9, is this configuration of Frederick99 optimal? Even for streaming upnp from PC?

-<cache>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <memorysize>209715200</memorysize>
    <readfactor>5</readfactor>
    <curlclienttimeout>45</curlclienttimeout>
    </cache>
    -<video>
    <subsdelayrange>0</subsdelayrange>
    </video>
    <splash>false</splash>
    <enablemultimediakeys>true</enablemultimediakeys>
  14. Frederick_99

I'm not claiming its optimal...just works well for me !!

typically streaming from WD NAS x264/x265 files of 1-5GB in size
  15. DANGALGOM

DANGALGOM New Member

Ok. Thanks Frederick99. Now I'm testing a configuration similar to yours. It only changes:
    CACHE SIZE: 419430400
    READFACTOR: 4

If it gives me problems, I try with yours.
  16. Frederick_99

that may be to much drain on your free RAM
  17. wapvi

wapvi Member

What are best settings for 4k une files?on 1080p everything is smooth but on 4k with higher bitrate it just stutters. Should I add more Cache ?I'm streaming on Ethernet via smb. It's a gbit connection