1. Official MINIX forum

Outline Information - Spec Sheet, Product Photos & Description

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by MINIX - John, Dec 3, 2015.

1. MINIX - John

MINIX - John MINIX Team Member Administrator

Here is a basic outline of everything NEO U1 has to offer:

- Quad Cortex A53 CPU (next generation 64-bit architecture)

- Penta Core Mali-450 GPU

- Supports up to 10-bit – Not found on previous MINIX models, or even RockChip’s latest generation chipsets – RK3368.

- Supports ‘True’ 4K @ 60Hz – NEO X8-H Plus only supports 4K @ 30Hz – another big strength of NEO U1.

- HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 – NEO U1 has Miracast support for all smartphone brands.

- 2GB RAM

- 16GB eMMC 5.0 (MLC)

- Gigabit Ethernet

- Dual-Band 2 x 2 MIMO ac Wi-Fi – Inclusion of an internal antenna in addition to the external antenna, offering incredible connectivity and Wi-Fi performance – superior to all previous MINIX models.

- Bluetooth 4.1 – Instead of Bluetooth 4.0 found on previous MINIX models.

- Android Lollipop 5.1 – We have kept the MINIX Launcher but the overall user interface has now improved – the settings menu etc. look similar to Android TV. Much easier to navigate, improved functionality and appearance.

- Same form factor as NEO X8-H Plus but ports have been repositioned (all 3 USB ports on the right-side).

- NEO U1 can be powered on/off using the included IR-Remote, no need to use the physical power button on the side of the main unit like previous models.

- Built-in F.O.T.A (Firmware-Over-The-Air) Update System – so there should never be any need to manually update/install the firmware.

- Supports the following:
    7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI
    DD+/DTS (pass-through)
    Dolby TrueHD (pass-through)

See attached spec sheet, product photos and descriptions.

Attached Files:

Nimasha, omegalfa, killabyte and 10 others like this.
  2. Henkl33t

Henkl33t New Member

Hi minix John! Will it be possible install other os? :)
  3. Bart zaalberg

Bart zaalberg Member

Awesome job guys! Almost all the improvements i was searching for are in this device!
  4. hdmkv

hdmkv New Member

What about DTS-HD MA? Will MVC 3D be supported, and if so, in what manner? Thanks.
    EagleEye likes this.
  5. Joudroid

Joudroid New Member

So the new GPU from Neo U1 (Penta-core Mali-450MP GPU @ 750 MHz) will be any better from the GPU from x8-h plus (Octo-core Mali-450 GPU)?

This one have 5 cores and not 8 like the x8-h plus

My guess/conclusion: it's appears to be better because it has a higher MHz rate (600 from x8-h plus to 750 from Neo U1) with only 5 cores, so if have less cores and more MHz probably means that is more efficient/powerful and less energy waster comparing to the octa core from x8-h plus, but the name of the 2 GPU are very confusing.

Sorry if I'm being noob and correct me if I'm wrong please

That's important for me because I'm considering buying the Neo U1 ;)
  6. Snakebite

Snakebite Moderator Moderator

Spec sheet shows Minix XBMC will be bundled - are we still tied to Gotham or has Isengard been tweaked for Minix?
  7. No this is an Arm based CPU other OS's will not be possible, or if someone is able to get Linux in some form or other running itll probably be crippled due to lack of official driver support
    pirsquared8 likes this.
  8. Joudroid

Joudroid New Member

Probably I will wait until next year for a minix box with Amlogic S912 and a Mali T-7xx, that will be awesome!
  9. walt

walt New Member

Some rumors about next S9XX
    A year later at best...may be U1 is good choise now
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2015
    pirsquared8 likes this.
  10. EagleEye

EagleEye Member

I hope dtsma works got a lot of movies with this audio codec
    bel4_20 likes this.
  11. Oddy

Oddy New Member

10 bit colour :), 4K @60Hz :), Dolby TrueHD (pass-through) (y), but NO DTS-HD MA (pass-through) :eek:(n):confused::(:cry:!.!.!.!.!.!

Edit: DTS-HD MA will be supported soon :cool:(y)
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  12. Bart zaalberg

Bart zaalberg Member

Heres a demo of the box!
    spiceminer, sangaz and Oddy like this.
  13. Marco Nunes

Marco Nunes Member

So it comes with Kodi instead of XBMC? (as from what we can see from the review video)
  14. Bart zaalberg

Bart zaalberg Member

Yeah i noticed that too. And also the fact that the settings are leanback. But the netflix application is not, which seems kinda odd. I would love to have some more demo's about this box.
  15. Oddy

Oddy New Member

Thanks interesting video.

The USA does seem to be overly fixated with megahertz (MHz), sounds better than Hz I suppose, so just for the record it's 4K @60Hz not 60MHz. Those wishing to stick with megahertz should say 4K @ 0.00006MHz.
  16. Old63#PA

Old63#PA New Member

Visiting the MinixUS website to view the detailed spec sheet, it appears that 4K YouTube is not supported, as support for the VP9 video format is not listed. Given the more capable hardware, I wonder why they would not. When I purchased my Neo X8H +, although it didn't support VP9, I had high expectations and was let down by the 720P max output for a number of things. I expected Minix would resolve this with their latest hardware. Hopefully I just misread and the U1 is fully competetive with the NVidia Shield and Roku4.
    pirsquared8 and Stephan Kuller like this.
  17. ruiumbelino

ruiumbelino New Member

It supports USB Audio output?
  18. Oddy

Oddy New Member

19. tano

tano New Member

is it supported by Amlogic S905 HW or just by SW like XBMC etc? Thanks.
  20. walt

walt New Member

HW support has S905-H chip revision...I'm sure 99.9%