1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Outline Information - Spec Sheet, Product Photos & Description

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by MINIX - John, Dec 3, 2015.

1. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

That's not "complete" right/wrong... There also exist a Linux SDK and at the past at the S8xx someone also releases eg. OpenELEC (also unofficial for the MINIX)....
  2. Faizan Ahmed

Faizan Ahmed New Member

Hi,
    I am new to minix community.... Just ordered minix u1... But now i am woried cause i find out it doesnt support DTS-HD MA!
    My question is... Is it possible in near future that minix developer will enable its support or is it imposible :(?? Have i wasted my money? :((
  3. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

4. Faizan Ahmed

Faizan Ahmed New Member

Sent from my QMobile Z8 using Tapatalk
  5. bore

bore New Member

I could not find information about 3D playback.Is this device capable to play 3D files?:whistle:
  6. Linuxlookup

Linuxlookup New Member

We're currently evaluating the U1.
  7. newbie99

I think these information should also posted/placed at this thread so I added it:

pirsquared8 likes this.
  8. petegeordie

petegeordie New Member

It "says" it has XMBC Minix Edition but it does not. For some bizarre reason Minix shipped this with an alpha quality (ie non-working) Kodi. For a premium price product it should have had a working XBMC out of the box. Yes it is simple to install XBMC Minix but a consumer shouldn't have to.

That aside it is a great bit of kit.
  9. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

@MINIX - Ken does the U1 actually stream 4k files? I tried to play them on my X8-H+ but the picture is blocky and unwatchable. They are listed as 4k 10Bit mkv files. Is it the fact the X8-H+ doesn't support 10bit or is it something else?
  10. skynet

skynet Active Member

Yes, for now, only U1 support 10bits movies.
  11. theplunger

theplunger New Member

What is the largest external usb hard drive that can be used with this box with kodi?

I would like a link to a known working converter (Hdmi to RCA [red, white, yellow wires] ) in the event this box needs to work on an old TV.

If I got a straight answer for these two questions it would make my day. I've been putting off of buying a Minix because of these questions.

Cheers :D
  12. newbie99

pirsquared8 likes this.
  13. theplunger

theplunger New Member

That's great it will at least run a 3TB HD. Are there any conformation that it can run a larger HD with no issues?

I don't know what a "ext4 filesystem" is? Is it a format like fat 32? I format my HD's to fat 32. I read the link you sent me, but I'm kind of lost when I read it. Is that the right way to format a drive for Minix?

I realize this Minix is a high-end unit. The main two reason why I'm looking at it is for H.265 HEVC support and I'm assuming it has the best software support. Otherwise I would buy a cheap Chinese model that has RCA support. That's a shame that I wont get an answer regarding the HDMI to RCA adapter question.
  14. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

15. theplunger

theplunger New Member

16. mxu1

mxu1 New Member

Fat32 has a 4GB file size limit, it will not take any file bigger than that - most DVD ISO files for example or larger hi-res .mkv files. NTFS or ext(3/4) formats will store larger files.
  17. skynet

skynet Active Member

The NTFS format seems to be the best as you can then use it on your PC.
  18. Clwinbe

Clwinbe New Member

This is my fifth MINIX box. I keep giving to family. We all love them. This is the best ever. I had one small issue after the fota update. It broke the configuration app. I flashed it with a full image and issue resolved.
    MINIX - Ken likes this.
  19. HereIsTom

HereIsTom New Member

Is this U1 much better then the X8-H Plus?
    Because I see on many stores the U1 is cheaper?
  20. newbie99

If you need 4k@60 then you should buy the U1, if 4K@30 is enough for you and you really need hw audio decoding implemented (that's the reason why the x8h+, because of the license costs at the S812H, costs more than the U1 (but everybody who only use KODI or path-through doesn't need it)) then you should buy the x8h+
    If you want to use MX Player at the U1 you can also load the custom audio codec http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/mx-player/mx-player-custom-codec-dts-support-t2156254 (which you don't need at the X8H+)
    pirsquared8 likes this.