1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Outline Information - Spec Sheet, Product Photos & Description

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by MINIX - John, Dec 3, 2015.

1. HereIsTom

HereIsTom New Member

Thank you for the explanation! 4k I do not really need, I have a Toshiba HDTV.
    I just want a good media player that works perfectly with Kodi and to use with Android Apps.
    So the X8-H Plus is a better choice with the audio and no other difference then the 4k@60?
  2. skynet

skynet Active Member

U1 have Lollipop 5.1.1, not Kitkat.
    U1 is faster too ... (thanks to ART virtual machine)
  3. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

I also know a comparison where the S905 only win at
    - CPU float-point (a little bit)
    - 2D Graphics at 1920×1080 (significant)
    and at every other point the S812 is faster/more powerful (from little at most points till significant at 3D Graphics at 1920×1080)...
    Both running at LolliPop (Android 5.x) so I don't know the effect of 4.4 vs. 5.x but I have to say I don't find the X8H+ much slower than the U1...
  4. HereIsTom

HereIsTom New Member

What about the audio with the U1?
    I have a Pioneer VSX-921 receiver, will it work with Dolby Digital and DTS?
  5. Sean369

Sean369 Member

You can get it to work with MX player after jumping through some hoops. But it will only output as 2 channel stereo. For true multi-channel audio you need to use Minix XBMC and enable audio pass through.
  6. HereIsTom

HereIsTom New Member

So the U1 have no true multi channel audio? Does the X8-H plus have that?
  7. skynet

skynet Active Member

X8H+ is running Kitkat so it uses DALVIK
    U1 is running LP so it uses ART

If app used if written in the good way it will be faster in ART than DALVIK.
    pirsquared8 likes this.
  8. walterbear

walterbear New Member

Yes it can,even TrueHD,MA,even Atmos .....if you make a right setting
  9. CMB

CMB New Member

I don't recommend the U1 as an upgrade to the x8hplus, for starters the build quality in comparison is awful and it seems to have been rushed out with little thought for the consumer as you need a degree in IT to get it to run well.
    xeox likes this.
  10. Sean369

Sean369 Member

LMAO! Now I don't have an X8-Plus. In fact the U1 is my first android TV and Minix box. But I have it working pretty good and I most certainly do not have an IT degree. I am a geek with some skills but no degree. ;) And comparing a new product to a product that has had over a year to mature is a bit of apples and oranges IMHO.
  11. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

They look exactly the same quality to me. I agree it was rushed out firmware wise but updating the firmware doesn't require a degree.
  12. jimbonice

jimbonice Member

I went from an X7 to the U1. It worked great out of the box.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
  13. discocandy

discocandy New Member

Hi all. small question.
    What DAC is used inside the U1? Wondering if it is good enough for me or if a external DAC would be better to use.
  14. gbaker72

gbaker72 New Member

What is the Digital-to-Analog Converter chip inside the U1?
  15. Wickedt

Wickedt New Member

So what is the point of the Optical out if you cannot get HD sound from it? My receiver has HDMI but does not process sound from it, only through the Optical (SPDIF).
  16. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

Who said you can't? You need to change the audio output to SPDIF
  17. Lazi

Lazi New Member

All this features on paper but the image is so choppy I cannot watch anything on this thing. How can you people be so exicited about this piece of s**t ???
  18. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

What videos are choppy? Mine runs absolutely everything I've tried to play with the latest firmware and SPMC. It's turned into a great box
  19. Lazi

Lazi New Member

Eveything : videos on the youtube app, kodi, popcorn time, bsplayer, mxplayer. Does not matter if 4k or 1080p resolution 50 or 60Hz. Even the damn mouse cursor jitter! Faster the movement on the screen the jitter gets worse and worse. Tried the same videos and kodi setups on my 5 year old galaxy s4 it plays them buttersmooth. Dual core Samsung smart tv plays videos from youtube lightyears better than minix u1. Mine runs also absolutely everything but it's unwatchable. It looks like a very fast slideshow. I have the latest upgrade installed but no help. I will have send it back. It's a shitbucket. Not worth even 10 bucks. I can't understand why everyone is pleased with it !!???
  20. Bennett83

Bennett83 Active Member

Sounds like it's a faulty unit then as nobody else has these issues. The remote probably just needs good batteries and/or calibrating (hold down fn and 6 until the light flashes) then leave on a flat service pointing at the the box until the led flashes again. If you can do without android then this box is excellent with Libreelec as found on the custom ROMs page