1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

[Patches][update.zip] Root, Unroot, System mods (no CWM / no PC needed)

Discussion in 'X8-H & X8/Plus Custom ROMs, Kernels & Discussion' started by gufone, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

To quote @gufone,
    If for some reason System Update and FOTA doesn't work, you can always try the USB .zip update package, which will retain exisiting data, and if that doesn't work then the only option is to re-flash with a Full System image and lose all data.

Which ever option works you will have to re-root!
  2. Rory Wilcox

Rory Wilcox Member

Hi. im new to rooting. will the root zip file in the beginning of this thread work with the current/latest fw update on my minix neo x8-h plus (as of 06-02-16). thanks for any reply
    Gopichand Pai likes this.
  3. pb1051

pb1051 New Member

Will this work with FW008?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  4. Gopichand Pai

Gopichand Pai Member

Yes
  5. Gessi

Gessi New Member

Is this Ad-Remove from thread #2 still up2date? Worth installing this?
  6. Huey

Huey New Member

It's not up to date, it's 2 years old. Maybe 50% or so of the list may still be active pests and you'll at least still be blocking crap like doubleclick and analytics but do you want a adblocking filter that's 100% updated and customized by you or an old one with many dead links in it? You should root and install the Adaway app which will install an updated HOSTS file almost every day for you. You can add your own sources too which needn't be ad-servers, just sites/domains you don't want your box ever being in contact with. Root is the way forward as it lets you use your box to its full potential, but if you're reluctant to do that you could just build your own flashable adblock.zip file using current blacklists and once a week or so update/replace it. You should notice a nice improvement in performance. You won't need an adblock extension bloating up every browser for a start and if you also use the malwaredomains blacklist in Adaway you're much less likely to connect to malicious sites. Kodi will also run quicker but it depends how well it runs already if you'll notice or not. Someone on a very slow connection that suffers buffering in every add-on would be more likely to notice the improvement than someone who has a high bandwith from their ISP and is rarely troubled by buffering.
  7. rpgmaker

rpgmaker Member

Does this still works for X8-H PLUS 009 firmware?

I updated to fw 009 and yes, rooting with this still works.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  8. Mrjoeyloke

Mrjoeyloke New Member

How can I figure out which firmware I'm running?
  9. Villa

SettingsMbox, Other, Build number

Screenshot_2016-08-31-23-49-30.png

Or Settings, About MediaBox, Build number

Screenshot_2016-08-31-23-49-05.png
  10. Julio Argüello

Julio Argüello New Member

Hi all,

What about Build Number KOT49H.20160829?

When I try to apply the update (from an usb stick) it says that there was a verification error.

Thanks in advanced,
    __Julio
  11. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

If you have build number 20160829 then you have the latest build. What update are you trying to apply?
  12. Julio Argüello

13. Higgs

14. Julio Argüello

Thanks!

Is anyone aware of the compatibility of the root zip is compatible with KOT49H.20160829?
    Otherwise, is there any other alternative root method?
  15. Villa

You have the incorrect file! That one is for the the X7/5 Community Edition KitKat v250.
    You have picked that out of @gufone's signature!

You need this...
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/gufone/custom/shared/X8/update-gufone-root-x8.zip

16. Julio Argüello

Oh my God! Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know
  17. Higgs

18. Villa

Yeah, it took until now for me to spot it!
    I was about to suggest something else when I spotted the 250 in the link and I could also see how from @gufone's signature, if one didn't know better, that this maybe the root update.
  19. Julio Argüello

Villa likes this.
  20. Higgs

Maybe if posts 1 and 2 were merged it would remove any confusion.