1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

playing files from NAS with VPN enabled

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by Rory Wilcox, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Rory Wilcox

Rory Wilcox Member

I know it sounds like a silly question, just wanted to be sure. Can I view files from my NAS while I have VPN enabled on my U1. Im sure I can, I just wanted to clarify. Thanks in advance...
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

depends on whether the VPN configuration options give you that option > something like an option which says - block or allow local network

if you can allow local network then the answer is yes
  3. Rory Wilcox

Rory Wilcox Member

Thanks for the quick reply Frederick. im using the built in VPN on the latest FW on my U1, not a third party app..
  4. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I think you need to use OpenVPN or VPN suppliers dedicated app for this to work.
  5. Rory Wilcox

Rory Wilcox Member

Ok thanks. do you use a vpn yourself. if so could you recommend one?
  6. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

But you said you have been using a VPN?
    You did say "built in" which there isn't!
  7. Frederick_99

sorry, yes as @Villa has mentioned this is with OpenVPN or VPN suppliers app and there is no built in VPN supplier

I use PIA's ( Private Internet Access) app and it works fine and allows LAN access to NAS etc
  8. Rory Wilcox

Rory Wilcox Member

thanks for the reply, to clarify I have the correct app in the app folder on my box the icon says PIA VPN with a little green man. in the payment option it gives a monthly fee, can I cancel the account at any time.?
  9. Frederick_99

the icon sounds right.....i have an annual plan so don't know how the monthly plan works......check PIA site ?