1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Poor 4K video performance

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by miguel87, May 10, 2017.

1. miguel87

miguel87 New Member

Hi! New Z83-4 user over here.

I'm satisfied with this PC until the moment but I have a couple of issues to solve to make the experience perfect.

I've experienced poor 4K video performance, I mean low frames per second... Impossible to watch. I am trying MKV videos but I suppose it would be the same with any format. At first I thought it was due to insufficient USB speed, but then I downloaded (www.4ksamples.com) videos to SSD with same performance. Similar results with VLC, SMPlayer and widows media player.

Is my PC just not powerful enough or can I solve this problem?

Thank you!
  2. Dougster

Dougster New Member

Miguel, looking at the spec sheet for the Z83-4 there is a simple explanation why the 4K graphics performance is so poor. It has the Intel X5-Z8300 processor which only supports up to 1920 x 1080 video.

The advertising for this MINUX product clearly states it supports 4K video but the processor they put into it does not. They need to remove the 4K video support from their advertising until they get a model that supports it with a processor like the Intel Atom X7 Z8700 or X5 Z8500
  3. miguel87

miguel87 New Member

That's very disappointing...

Not only in the ads, even in the box...

Now I'm not sure if I'm happy with this product

:-(

[​IMG]
  4. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

5. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

It doesn't support all kinds of 4K videos.
    The video decoder of ATOM Z8300/Z8350 support up to 8-bit only.
    If you don't post the media info of the file(s) you are playing, we can't comment further.
    Villa likes this.
  6. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Z8300/Z8350 support videos up to 8-bit 4K 30fps.
    Anything above that, will not be smooth.
  7. miguel87

miguel87 New Member

Thank you all for your answers. Here you have the media info of the file i´m trying to play. I don't know if it is 8-bit or not anyway.

[​IMG]
  8. miguel87

miguel87 New Member

Sorry to take this thread up again. I was wondering if maybe there is some special settings to make 4K media watchable.

I don't get the point of having 4K compatibility but for for videos.
  9. BadProduct

BadProduct New Member

It supports 4Kbps video playback for sure.
  10. skynet

skynet Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

Hi,
    Which app do you use for 4k viewing?
    Mpc-hc can't even play a h264 1080p video smoothly.

Envoyé de mon SM-G935F en utilisant Tapatalk
  11. BadProduct

BadProduct New Member

12. skynet

skynet Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

What do you use to play videos please ? :rolleyes:
  13. BadProduct

BadProduct New Member

4K video 30 FPS can be played using built-in video player but may not do for every video codec.

4Kbps (Kilo-bit-per-second) can be played using any video players, Ha Ha Ha. This is not HTPC man ! It's not built for that performance.

You may use MPC + MadVR + ffdshow raw filter to make video playback look much better (1080p or 720p). But you need to turn-on only some specific options to make it plays smoothly.

For YouTube, stick with 720p 30 FPS (fair internet speed) or 1080p 30 FPS (good internet speed). It's not for HFR (High Frame Rate) video which goes beyond 30 FPS.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  14. miguel87

miguel87 New Member

So is it possible to have a 8bit video file and play it as 4bit? Sorry if i'm asking nonsense

Most 4k content I find is 8bit
  15. BadProduct

BadProduct New Member

If you have smart TV, better go for NetFlix / Amazon HDR and forget this crap.