1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Possible to upgrade Minix Neo Z64 running 4.4.4 Kitkat?

Discussion in 'NEO Z64A Official Firmware Releases' started by johnnyc, Oct 1, 2016.

1. johnnyc

johnnyc New Member

I have a Minix Z64 running OS Version: 4.4.4. Most of my apps especially verizon Fios Mobile have stopped working on it because they no longer support Kitkat. Is it possible to upgrade my device to Lollipop or a most recent version of Android?

If so where do I get these downloads from?

Thank you!!
  2. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

midnight likes this.
  3. midnight

midnight Active Member

It sure would be nice to see some sort of update in the near future !!:(
  4. micki

micki New Member

It sure would be nice to see some sort of update in the near future !!:(

Ditto!!
  5. Deadman INC.

Deadman INC. Member

The staff is on leave ...
    They will be back to ignore this device as of oct 8 !
  6. Velocity90

Velocity90 New Member

Also they delete posts about complains about the z64. I payed for a flagship box and cant even install kodi 17 :(
  7. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

The SOC producer (intel) does not provide any new OS(bsp) on this platform.
    In time we "might" create our own...
    midnight likes this.
  8. midnight

midnight Active Member

If posts are deleted it because of one or more of the forum rules are not being followed, not to hind issues or complaints !
    Villa likes this.
  9. midnight

midnight Active Member

Actually, it would have to be more of a serious reason than just breaking the rules to have a post deleted !
  10. Velocity90

Velocity90 New Member

It's a forum rule not to point out the z64 doesn't work with kodi /xbmc /spmc without audio sync problems after pauzing?
  11. midnight

midnight Active Member

Really ?? I just read the rules and I must have missed that rule.....what number was it ??:whistle:
    Villa likes this.
  12. Velocity90

Velocity90 New Member

Rofl, anyone that has both and can confirm the u1 doesn't have pauze/sync problems? Before I yet buy another flagship I would like to know. The reviews I've raid weren't flawless but also didn't use the newest kodi.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 9 met Tapatalk
  13. midnight

midnight Active Member

My son and his cousin picked the Z64A over the X8-H Plus which I have connected to the same TV to watch a movie using Kodi (16.1). Of course he picked a 1080 feed ..... I was like," why did u choose the Z64"? he"s like... I don't know ! "why do u have them hooked up to the same TV ! ( smart Alick :whistle:)
    Anyways he said it played perfect with not one issues and did not buffer even once !!(y)

Just a little fyi :)
  14. Deadman INC.

Deadman INC. Member

I'd advise you to buy a Nvidia Shield ...

Koop maar iets deftig... Ik heb problemen sinds de aankoop...
  15. midnight

midnight Active Member

It too is not perfect and has limitations from what other members have reported:whistle:
  16. Huey

Huey New Member

That hasn't hindered those behind Remix OS and the boxes it's pre-installed on as standard at present running Android v6.0.1 with updates still ongoing via the boxes and "install-to-PC" versions. Minix provided monthly updates for the Z64A box after its release in 2015 for only 5 months then abruptly stopped them, followed by radio silence on the reasons/excuses why. It's shameful (and to their detriment) they abandoned a box not even half a year past its release date which had so much potential. Even if it was only security updates they kept patched to the most current one why hasn't this been done at a bare minimum? I still use the Z64A on rare occasions and even stuck back at Android v4.4.4 it runs better than Remix OS 6.0.1 (installed to my PC) so I just can't get my head round why the box didn't even make the Lollipop grade.

For the end users who jumped on this promising-looking ship too soon the only real option is to transform their Z64A box into a Z64W box, particularly if the inability to use Kodi 17+ is your main gripe about the Android OS box not being updated. I dislike Windows too much for that and already have a laptop I can install Kodi on if I wanted to. I moved to another manufacturer and got Kodi 17 beta pre-installed on a box running 6.0.1, half the price of the Minix. That was mainly in order to replace another Minix box abandoned too early, the X8-H Plus. Again not Intel's fault, it couldn't reach Lollipop version, not AML's fault, but solely a Minix decision.
  17. Ray Santos

Ray Santos New Member

[QUOTE = "johnnyc, post: 109754, member: 32498"] Eu tenho um Minix Z64 executando OS Versão: 4.4.4. A maioria dos meus aplicativos, especialmente o Verizon Fios Mobile, pararam de trabalhar porque não suportam mais o Kitkat. É possível atualizar meu dispositivo para o Lollipop ou uma versão mais recente do Android?

Se sim, de onde eu recebo esses downloads?

Obrigado !! [/ QUOTE]

E eu acabei de comprar um z64A. E agora, o que eu faço? Acho que você cancelar a compra, o que vcs me aconselham ?
  18. midnight

midnight Active Member

I hope Minix will give us at least give us one more update. I may look into converting it to Windows eventually if not.
  19. Velocity90

Velocity90 New Member

I gave up, u1 on the way, if it still has audio sync problems I will never buy another minix again
  20. midnight

midnight Active Member

Not all manufactures get all things right all the time, one could debate that this one went "south in a hurry ":whistle: They in my opinion got many other units correct so I for one will not give up on them even if this one is not updated beyond it's current level .