1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Power Menu - Sleep, Restart, Power off

Discussion in 'Beta Firmwares' started by mis3, Oct 2, 2016.

1. mis3

mis3 Member

Minix: Would you consider to remove the shutdown menu?

Not sure how the other users feel about this. For me, I found too many clicks are required to shutdown the U1.
  2. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

There is no reason to remove it!
    How do you select Sleep, Restart, Power Off without it?

It requires two clicks to Power Off! :eek:
  3. mis3

mis3 Member

Is there a way to shutdown the unit without going through the shutdown menu?
  4. Villa

Re-read my (edited) post!
  5. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

I think you ask because of the Logitech Harmony which you prefer to use?
  6. mis3

mis3 Member

Exactly. With the Harmony, I have to click on the shutdown icon, then click the shutdown option in the menu.

Even with the A2, I have to press the power button and choose the shutdown option. Not sure how you can shutdown the unit in 2 clicks.
    I guess I am spoiled from the Harmony where I can just press just one button to power off all my AV equipment.
  7. Villa

1. Select the Power Menu icon.
    2. Select Power Off.
  8. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

I think he wants one-click to shutdown...
    need an option like "what the power button does" in windows...
  9. Villa

I know what he wants but I can't see the hardship of two clicks to Power Off. o_O

Ken, if you can give him this then do it.
    But we then need it to ask, "Are you sure you want to shutdown?" click "Yes" "Are you really sure?" click "Yes" ! :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:
    skynet likes this.
  10. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Technically there are 4 more clicks... anyway...
  11. Villa

Yeah, see my edited post above! :)
  12. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Next thing people will want is voice commands so they can just say shutdown
    kingsizept likes this.
  13. Villa

Voice command, "F$%#ing Shut Down" :ROFLMAO:
    Then appears, "Please click here 4 times to shutdown!" :eek:
    KellyND1 and kingsizept like this.
  14. mark2

mark2 Active Member

:LOL::LOL:
  15. mis3

mis3 Member

With the air mouse, I have to move the mouse pointer and click on the shutdown icon, then move the pointer to the shutdown option, then click. Since I am not good in operating the air mouse, I use the d-pad and this results in more clicks.

I have 3 cell phones; 2 Andriods (Moto-Z, Blackberry Priv) and an iPhone 6. They all do not have a shutdown menu.

Not sure about other users, I never use the Sleep and Restart options. If not in video streaming, the unit will go to sleep after certain minutes of inactivity. As for the restart option, I use the "Kill all tasks" instead.

If it is not too much work, maybe Minix can provide a configuration setting to opt out this shutdown menu, then everybody is happy!
  16. Villa

I understand where you are coming from but one could argue that there are too many clicks to do anything on the device!
    For quick acces to the Power Menu place it in the top left of the Homescreen. (If you're not using Metro Launcher!)
  17. mis3

mis3 Member

I am using the default Metro Launcher.

Often I forget about this "Shutdown Process", I then have to go back, select the proper HDMI for the Minix and then do the proper shutdown.

I am curious. In what situations do you use the Sleep or Restart button? I use Kill All Tasks occasionally to"clean" the system.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  18. Villa

For Sleep I just use the Power button and I use Restart to reboot the device when/if it is required.
  19. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

I'm curious as to why you use shutdown over sleep, it has very little power consumption in sleep mode, it wakes faster than boots, and it's one step to sleep.
    I believe that most users just use sleep/standby with electronic devices like TVs, DVD players, satellite boxes etc

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    kingsizept likes this.
  20. mis3

mis3 Member

I am old school and like to power off the device when I am finished with it. Also, the little green light bothers me, maybe my OCD, lol.

I asked the question because i was wondering if anyone really used the Sleep and Restart options, Apparently, you guys do!