1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Power Menu - Sleep, Restart, Power off

Discussion in 'Beta Firmwares' started by mis3, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

I power off my MINIX devices when they are not in use! (y):)
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    kingsizept likes this.
  2. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

Can I ask how you power off your TV, satellite boxes etc? In my experience the only way to power off these devices is via a hardware switch or the mains power plug. Any remote control option puts them to sleep/standby.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    kingsizept likes this.
  3. Villa

Is that question for me?
    I mean MINIX devices!
  4. Higgs

The question was for mis3 but I suppose it's a general question in regards to what is sleep/standby/shutdown.
    For me if I want to shutdown a 'plugged' device I switch it off at the main plug. Otherwise If I can control it with a remote then it's in sleep/standby.

5. mis3

mis3 Member

I read about this also, something called the vampire power. This is usually small for modern AV equipment.

According to a Minix U1 review, power management of this device is apparently very good (below). I added the mapping of the status lights.
    • Power off – 0.1 Watt. - No light
    • Standby – 1.2 Watt. - Green light
    • Idle – 3.2 to 3.4 Watts. - Blue light
    • Power off + USB HDD – 0.1 Watt
    • Standby + USB HDD – 1.4 Watt
    • Idle + USB HDD – 4.3~4.4 Watts
  6. Higgs

So why would you want to insist on power off instead of sleep/standby?

kingsizept likes this.
  7. mis3

mis3 Member

Guess I will put a tape to hide the green light. LOL.
    I am surprised that I am alone to want to power off the device completely (sort of) when not in use.
  8. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

btw: if I want to switch off/on (all) my equipment I use a 'RF Wireless Remote Control socket plug' ...
  9. Confuzz

Confuzz New Member

i like to power off my device too mainly because i have it connected to a hdmi spliter which automatically swiches it to my youview box when it powers off which it doesnt do when put in sleep mode. If you hold down the power button on the remote it will bring up the power off option even in xmbc
  10. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Let's stop the power button discussion, we shall consider the suggestion, ok?
    KellyND1, kingsizept and Villa like this.
  11. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

[​IMG]
    Um...
  12. Villa

Thread created to clean the Beta Release 010 beta firmware thread! :)
    kingsizept likes this.
  13. Villa

But that involves, effectively, 5 clicks! o_O
    Which @mis3 would not be happy about! :rolleyes:

I said this! ;)
    kingsizept likes this.
  14. mis3

mis3 Member

Actually, I am not. 5 clicks just to shutdown one device is way too many clicks. Imagine this, when I watch TV, I have to switch on the TV, cable set top box and sound bar. If 5 clicks to shutdown one device, total will be 15 clicks.

While I am not too crazy about the shutdown procedure, the U1 is a delight to use. In fact, I am now deciding to buy another U1 or wait for the U9.
  15. givecredit

givecredit Member Beta Tester

I like the idea of "what the power button does" If you add this option I will set mine to reboot, Then I'll have one click instead of two click to reboot before watching skygo. Its the only time I use the power button.