1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Problem with Miracast

Discussion in 'MINIX - Related Apps' started by Andy Wilson, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Andy Wilson

Andy Wilson New Member

Hi, I'm having problems with the miracast app with my Oneplus3 phone streaming from online.
    The picture is fine for about a minute but then it starts getting blocky & sometimes freezes, then it's ok again.
    I'm getting 4g on phone & signal & picture fine if i use phone as a hotspot.
    Any ideas?

Minix X8
  2. Andy Wilson

Andy Wilson New Member

3. dryster

dryster Active Member

Miracast is an odd bird, because it would be better if it was "discovery and launch" and the target MINIX device acted somewhat like a chromecast and played the source URL independantly, the phone can then be turned off. Miracast though needs that constant connection to the phone (virtual wifi hdmi) and if the signal is blocked or there is interference, then pixelation and freezing may happen. If you're using the phone as a hotspot, then the MINIX uses that wifi signal to play directly without Miracast. Is that what you're saying?
  4. Andy Wilson

Andy Wilson New Member

Hi, no my phone is receiving a video online then I'm sending that to the Minix via WiFi to watch on TV. The only thing i can think of if my phone is downloading & then sending the video at the same time?
  5. dryster

dryster Active Member

Why can't you just watch the video on the Minix? - why do you need the phone? - is your Minix not connected to the Internet or Ethernet?

If you Miracast your phone has to download the video and send the video to the Minix. That's probably not going to be optimal.
    Villa likes this.
  6. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

This is similar to those who love to stream You Tube from their phones to their MINIX device! o_O
    Why??????? (n)
    dryster likes this.
  7. Andy Wilson

Andy Wilson New Member

Hi, i can only use data on my phone at the moment.
    But i thought that was the whole idea of miracast that you can watch on TV what you are watching on my phone?
  8. Villa

But how is your MINIX X8 connected?
    LAN or to phone hotspot?
  9. Andy Wilson

Andy Wilson New Member

Connect to my phone by WiFi hotspot.
  10. Villa

What is it that you are watching? Is it through an app/browser?
  11. Andy Wilson

Andy Wilson New Member

Kodi and streaming app.
  12. Villa

Then just use Kodi on the X8!
    There is no need for Miracast.
  13. Andy Wilson

Andy Wilson New Member

Hi, think you missing my point. I only have a data plan on my phone, no teathering or broadband access at the moment. So I'm trying to watch things on my TV through my phone, hench trying to use Miracast. Hope i explained it better.
  14. Villa

OK, I don't actually know how any of that works!
    I only use my phone for making and receiving calls on pay as you go! o_O:eek:

I thought if you are using the hotspot on your phone then this allows your X8 the same connection!
  15. Andy Wilson

Andy Wilson New Member

Hi, no. My phone uses the data on 4G then the streaming video is sent by WiFi to Minix, if that makes sense.
  16. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

The point Villa is making though is can't you share your 4g connection from your phone to the Minix using a mobile WiFi hotspot on your phone.
    I do this all the time on my phone.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  17. Andy Wilson

Andy Wilson New Member

Hi, i cant do that as i don't have data theathering.
  18. dryster

dryster Active Member

I think @Andy Wilson you are asking a LOT from your Oneplus 3 phone using Miracast. What I am not understanding here is you said in a previous post that you connect your MINIX to the internet via a wifi hotspot. Which indicates that you can use the MINIX independantly of Miracast to surf the web. Is that correct?

The second statement you made that you don't have data tethering sort of indicates that you cannot create a hotspot with your phone, so what is the hotspot that you are talking about.
  19. Andy Wilson

Andy Wilson New Member

Hi, my phone is connected to 4g data. My phone and Minix are connected by WiFi to only stream the video I'm watching on my phone. The Minix is not connected to the data on my phone.
  20. RikD

RikD Member