1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Problems adding Mac based SMB Share - Neo U9

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX' started by Cyberman, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Cyberman

Cyberman Member

Complete newb to these Android boxes but most impressed with the U9 / A3 combo I just bought as a trial for replacing my Apple TVs. Only problem I've had was trying to add an SMB share to Kodi 17 where the share resides on a Mac Mini.

Actually I'm guessing this isn't really related to Minix or the U9 at all, rather it's down to Kodi or, more specifically, Apple and their their lame and outdated support for SMB sharing. Just posting here in case it helps anyone else having the same problems and to see if anyone using Kodi on Minix devices has come across it an better ways round it.

I've read literally dozens of threads relating to this, most of which seem to rely on enabling the guest account on the hosting Mac Mini and allowing users of the guest account to access shared files. But jeez, I tried absolutely EVERY way that was suggested and kept drawing a blank, especially when trying to add the share via File Manager in Kodi 17. Trying what I think is supposed to be the quickest / easiest way I went through File Manager to try and browse for any SMB shares and got the 'Error 2: Share not available'. Then I tried dozens of ways trying to add the source by name, name adding the .local and also by IP address. Tried it with and without share folder names and with and without user name and password but every single time I got one fail message after another from 'Connection Refused', 'Broken Pipe' and 'Directory no available'. Really was an absolute PITA. Like I say, not down to the U9 at all I think but I can really see how some people might get seriously frustrated with Kodi if they're using Mac shares if their experience was anything like mine.

Eventually, I DID get it to work by going in through the Movies / TV shows and adding them via the IP address "smb://192.###.#.###/(Name of Folder e.g. Movies and TV Shows). That worked, but it literally took hours to solve. Being an Android / Kodi newb sure didn't help I guess but I'm thinking if this wasn't a Mac based share it would have been a whole lot easier.

I also tried SPMC thinking that maybe the Kodi version I was trying (the default that's installed on the U9 - Krypton 17 - not Minix XBMC as it says on the box [that had me confused for a while too]) but the result was the same, numerous flavours of 'no' messages.

Has Kodi with Mac shares always been such a PITA? Would the Minix XMBC (which I think is awaiting a Kodi 17 release) make it any easier or more stable? Or is it just down to Apple? Because if it is, I'll be phasing Apple out of my hardware purchases from now on, been growing more and more disgruntled with Apple and their approach to just about everything over recent years anyway, this is just another 'thanks for nothing Apple' to chalk up.
  2. skynet

skynet Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

MarsArtis and Cyberman like this.
  3. Cyberman

Cyberman Member

Thanks. I'll have a try of that later.

Must say, I'm pretty blown away with the U9. Paired with the A3 I think it's brilliant. Played every type of file I've thrown at it. And, here in Thailand, I have several media sources that I want to have just one box for. And that MEANS one box. Not one box and sling to it with another device (e.g. Iflix and using a laptop to Airplay via an Apple TV).

I tried a Fire TV, knowing that it did Netflix and Amazon Video in HD. Foolishly I thought it would ALSO do Amazon Prime (their international service) as well, but no. Not supported outside of Amazon account countries. Can't even access your legitimately paid for media at all unless you use a phone or browser. Screw that!!!!

So the U9 does everything I need:
    Iflix app works - yes
    Netflix - yes
    Amazon app - yes
    YouTube - yes
    Browser and maps yes
    Play Store - yes

And all without the 'in yer face' Amazon UI AND the messing about with the app side loading BS.

Using all those with the A3 is great too. If one input method doesn't work, the Air Mouse fly option will.

Just a shame that my chosen share device is a real bitch to use, to such an extent I've even wrote a note so I know how to get it back if it goes down at all. But, that I'm sure is an Apple V smb / Kodi issue.

Looking forward to seeing how the U9 develops and if any of the developments make Mac SMB shares easier. But I think that depends on Apple. If it stays lame, I look forward to binning Apple too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    dryster likes this.
  4. skynet

Cyberman likes this.
  5. Cyberman

Cyberman Member

Finally seem to have found a fairly failsafe way to add these SMB shares to all my Kodi equipped devices. Things I have made sure of:

Sharing device has a reserved IP address on network
    Connected by using the 'smb://## IP address ##/EXACT folder name
    Using the device name or device name with '.local' appended NEVER worked

I have guest account enabled on Mac
    Guest account can access sharing
    Permissions I've set to read / write for 'Admin' and 'Everyone'

FINALLY, seems this recipe works with SPMX and Kodi on both U9 and Fire TV.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    skynet likes this.
  6. skynet

Well done (y)
    Cyberman likes this.
  7. Cyberman

Cyberman Member

Anyone had any success adding an SMB share to a Mac laptop / desktop AND actually getting it to WORK with ES File Explorer, Solid Explorer or whatever?

I'm trying to do this mainly so I can move the occasional photo from my laptop to the Minix SD storage without CONSTANTLY needing to move them to USB drives as an interim measure. Easy with Macs, I can just Airdrop from one to another. Thought I'd try with the Minix hub today and, much as I expected, after the bloody tortuous experience of trying to get SMB sharing to work with Kodi, trying to get the share to work on using these apps is proving to be an equal PITFA!!!!

I've tried just about every god damned thing I think of with all sorts of options enabled / disabled on the Mac and with dozens of configurations of the shares on the apps themselves from using host names, IP addresses, with and without log on credentials. Yet another 6 hours down the drain and result, f&&&&&g nowhere further forward.

I don't know which of my devices needs a hammer taking to them, I don't know if all the problems are down to Apple and their CRAP approach to SMB or whether these apps just suck. But jeez, surely it should be easier than this!!!!!

Worst thing is with this Solid Explorer app is is takes you through the whole set up process for s new share finally presenting you with the green check box, only to find that when you come out to the share you get "A problem occurred with authentication. Please try again". So why the damn green check box then!!!!

Honestly, today I thought I'd do something with this U9 that'd just take half an hour or so, then get on with the rest of life. Clearly photo sharing was NOT the best choice. There might even be an easier way of doing it, but I just figured a simple share would be good to go. WRONG! As of now I SERIOUSLY hate and detest anything to do with sharing with ANY Apple devices whatsoever and the sooner I get shot of the bloody lot the better!! Hopefully it's not this difficult with Windows devices? I really don't think the situation with Apple SMB shares could actually be designed to work worse if they tried! Complete and utter croc of 5hit!

Giving up on this for today, if not completely. A COMPLETE day wasted trying to sort this crap. Seriously can't believe that ANYTHING like a share could be SO difficult. I just now need to decide whether accidentally drop my Mac Book on the floor and accidentally kick it round the room for an hour until I have no choice but to replace it. This will not be gifted to anyone, smashed to pieces it will be.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  8. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

[Post moved to your existing thread]

I don't have a MAC but I've set up shares from Windows 10 and also from a NAS using ES File Explorer with no issues. Doing a LAN scan within ES File Explorer found the shares and any with login credentials needed I just edited after adding to server list.

Another option you could try is using cloud storage, I use Dropbox, Onedrive and Google drive (each for different type of files). You can then either use the specific apps on the Minix or you can use ES File Explorer to access these.
    Villa likes this.
  9. Cyberman

Cyberman Member

I was pretty dumbfounded when it didn't work with the same combination of details that DO work with adding a share from Kodi. If it works for Kodi, why not for ES?

With ES I can scan and it sees the sharing machine. With Solid it doesn't even see them.

Given up on it fit now. Need a break from researching frustrating crap.

It's not the U9 either. Same problem with the Fire TV trying to add via LAN/SMB.

I might look at Air Droid tomorrow. See if that works. With a max time limit of 30 minutes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk