1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Problems with external storage

Discussion in 'NEO X6 Official Firmware Releases' started by sonofdibnah, Dec 9, 2014.

1. sonofdibnah

sonofdibnah New Member

I'm using the 02 firmware. On the 01 firmware, I stopped using Sd card because the X6 would "drop" the card and there would be missing data when I remounted it. Using an external hard drive with the 02 firmware and it seems better BUT the box does keep loosing the drive. Can't see a pattern yet.

Anyone else?
  2. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

What drive are you using?
    Make sure the cable is of good quality.
  3. sonofdibnah

sonofdibnah New Member

Hi Ken. I'm using a 500GB Trancend drive and a good cable. The drive powers from the usb port on the minix. It was formatted as FAT32 but
    is now NTFS as I'm testing to see if the probs are format specific.

I will report back when I've had chance to test.
  4. sonofdibnah

sonofdibnah New Member

I have tried the drive formatted in NTFS and it is absolutely useless. 3 different downloads I've tried have failed at 11MB and caused xbmc (minix version) to crash.

I'm going back to FAT32 and will try with a lead with 2 usbs on one end so I can provide some extra power to the drive. The spec for it says it needs 1 amp at 5v and I'm wondering if that's a bit much for the x6's power supply. I have to say that I doubt this as the drive worked flawlessly with the Mygica box that the X6 is supposed to replace and that has a power supply that only delivers 2 amps.

Ken, is there a preferred disc format for the X6? Do you have any other suggestions?
  5. sonofdibnah

sonofdibnah New Member

Looks like it was the power needed to support the external drive. Without it, the drive was sometimes there and sometimes not. On one boot, drive was not found until the extra power supply was connected.

I find this surprising because your power supply is quite"beefy".
  6. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

The box needs less than 1A to operate, peak load should be <0.8A.
    The supplied 2A adapter is more than enough for the box + one 2.5" HDD.
    But definitely not enough for 2 x 2.5" HDD.
    That's all I can tell.
  7. w3n_m1ng

w3n_m1ng New Member

Please use powered usb hub. It may be usefull..