1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with Neo C-HD, USB-C to 4K@60Hz HDMI Adapter.

Discussion in 'NEO C, USB-C Multiport Adapter' started by ArcticWolf, Jul 10, 2018.

1. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf New Member

Hi guys,

Having had an awesome ongoing experience with a Neo U9-H, I also recently purchased a N42C-4 as well :). Both Neo HTPC's are connected to a 4K Panasonic EX750B series TV, (via a 4K Sony STR-DN1080 AVR). Everything is working perfectly with both Neo devices themselves, I couldn't be happier :). Excellent display, & audio streams are passing through to the AVR as intended as well. Obviously, the HDMI port on the N42C-4 is unfortunately limited to 4K@30Hz though.

Ergo, I purchased a Neo C-HD USB-C to HDMI adapter a few days ago to get the full 4K@60 resolution on my TV. Sadly, I couldn't get a signal using it at all :(. The blue LED on the adapter illuminated when connected to the N42C-4. However, the TV would briefly flash on screen that it had detected a 1080p source but the screen just remained blank, ( my N42C is actually set to a 4K resolution in Windows). I tried with the adapter connected via the AVR & I also attempted direct connections to the TV but that made no difference either, still no signal. I also tried several different HDMI 2.0 cables which also made no difference. (As soon as I connected via the HDMI port on the N42C-4 again everything works fine, albeit still at 4K@30. (I purchased the adapter on Amazon so it has already been returned following well over a dozen attempts to get it working).

Things like this always bug me when I can't get something working. I'm now wondering if I missed something here!!!??!!?!! Do I need to change any Windows or other settings to use this particular Neo HDMI adapter please? (As far as I can tell from the small user guide with the adapter & the minimal online information I researched before I ordered it, it should have been 100% plug & play! No device drivers or tinkering necessary).

My N42C-4 is running the Windows 10 Pro image I downloaded here on the Minix forum & it is fully updated to version 1803. Other device drivers such as Intel display, etc., are also fully up to date.

Does this adapter have known issues with Panasonic Viera TV's or AVR's in general please?

Would I be better off using the DP with an HDMI adapter?? If I do get a DP to HDMI adapter instead, would it cause issues with high quality Atmos or DTS:X audio streams or could the DP still handle the required bandwidth? Apologies for annoying questions, I've never used DP before, only VGA, DVI & HDMI.

Any help or advice appreciated :).

Cheers,
    Wolfy.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. MINIX - John

MINIX - John MINIX Team Member Administrator

The USB-C port does not support ‘hot plugging’, a USB-C cable or adapter should only be connected/disconnected when NEO N42C-4 is powered off.

Please power off the NEO N42C-4 then connect NEO C-HD and the HDMI adapter. Then power back on and check whether it now works correctly.

It's important to note, the USB-C port only supports video output, not audio output.

If you want to use a MiniDP to HDMI adapter, you should follow the advice found here: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/active-mini-dp-to-hdmi-adapter.15618/

3. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf New Member

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply :).

Apologies, I should have been clearer in my post. I didn't "hot plug", I turned the N42C, TV & AVR off every time I attempted a connection as is always advised when connecting or disconnecting HDMI. Sadly, it didn't make any difference, I couldn't get a signal at all. The adapter has since gone back to Amazon.

Link appreciated but I'd already read it lol ;). The active Mini DP adapter I have my eye on, on Amazon is one of the two adapters Minix recommend. I'm not gaming on the N42C, just webbing, general use & home theatre so I may just stick with HDMI for now.

Advice much appreciated :). Thanks again.

4. MINIX - John

MINIX - John MINIX Team Member Administrator

I have sent you a PM.

5. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf New Member

Many thanks indeed :).

Answered :).