1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Problems with VPN connectivity

Discussion in 'Beta Firmware' started by FlyingPenguin, Oct 6, 2014.

1. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin New Member

I am using my X8-H with firmware 002 Beta 8 (HardwareGuru edition) and face some issues with VPN connectivity.

If I use a PPTP-based VPN, some apps cannot access web sites any more, they simply get a timeout. The same apps can connect to these web sites with the VPN disabled and other apps (browser) can access these web sites with VPN enabled. Thus, there is no general issue with this VPN. Also, on my Samsung phone running Android 4.4.2, the same apps can access the web sites even with the PPTP VPN enabled.

The same apps are able to access these web sites on X8-H when connected to an L2TP-based VPN. So it seems to me that there are some issues with the PPTP implementation in this firmware.

Also, when using L2TP, it seems like the route setting is lost after some time of inactivity or video streaming. This means I need to reconnect the VPN several times. So it also seems there is some bug in the L2TP implementation as well.

If there is anything I can do to help narrow down these issues, please let me know. Otherwise, I appreciate a message if there will be any VPN-related improvements in Beta 9. Thanks.
  2. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin New Member

It took me some time to finally install Beta 9. Unfortunately, there is no change: The problem persists in Beta 9.
  3. skyzo2000

skyzo2000 Member

I think i have the same issue, with PPTP connection, and L2TP after some time the video buffering and i need to reconnect.
    The same with Hide My Ass app, disconnect after some times.
    Another bug in minix FW.
  4. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin New Member

Thanks for confirming that I am not imagining things. :)

Just two questions:

1. For me, the video buffering issue is much worse with L2TP than with PPTP. Is this similar with you?

2. Some apps cannot acces certain URLs using PPTP at all for me. Did you ever experience this as well? If you want to test it and need details, please send me a PM.
  5. skyzo2000

skyzo2000 Member

Hi,

I use vpn only for 2 apps, Bein sports (Mena Version) and Mycanal.
    For Bein sport app, nothing work, just error message ''video can't play'' but with flashfox browser throug the website, i can watch channel. But after some time there are buffering. With L2TP and PPTP i see no difference.

With mycanal app , i have no problem.
  6. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

I am using PPTP VPN everyday, the issues you mentioned are not related to VPN,
    and we have fixed them on BETA 9.2
  7. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin New Member

Hi Ken,

I just updated to FW 002 release version. Unfortunately, the problems with PPTP are still there. Specifically, I cannot use BBC iPlayer via PPTP VPN on my X8-H. It is unable to access the web site providing the listings. Once more: It does work perfectly fine on my Samsung phone using the same VPN, the same settings and the same Wifi/Internet connection. Thus, I still believe there is a problem with PPTP on the X8-H FW.
  8. MINIX - Ken

Believe me, it's not related to VPN at all.
    BBC has made announcement about the problems they are having.
  9. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin New Member

That's correct, but it does not apply to my problem. The BBC announced that they have problems during playback (audio only etc.) and yes, I see these issues too.

When using PPTP VPN on my X8-H I get different problems. iPlayer can't even access the listings/previews of shows available. During this step a normal website (RSS feed) is retrieved and parsed by iPlayer. Obviously, this does not work correctly with PPTP VPN on the X8-H and I have no idea why.
  10. skyzo2000

skyzo2000 Member

You can use iplayer plugin for xbmc, it's works perfect , I use with HMA vpn and I can watch all BBC channel live.
    The same for ITV.
    Personally, I don't have any problems with VPN. PPTP or L2TP...
  11. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin New Member

It works well now, correct. But it suffered from the same issue before. Plus, with XBMC I have some issues with interruptions that don't occur with iPlayer app. It seems like XBMC did not buffer enough so if there is a network glitch, it hangs during playback. The glitches might be due to my VPN provider, but that is a different story. Anyways, XBMC now is not related to VPN problems.

In case you have iPlayer app installed, could you please check if you can use it via PPTP VPN? Because I can't, but only on my X8-H. This is also why I believe there is an issue with the X8-H firmware and not with my VPN provider.
  12. MINIX - Ken

I'm using 002fw, and I'm using exactly the PPTP type of VPN everyday to access the Internet,
    so I'm very sure it's fine.
  13. MINIX - Ken

Why don't you think in the opposite way?
    If it's the firmware's VPN issue, all things would not work...