1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

RE: 4K resolution output bug

Discussion in 'X8 - X8H Official Firmware 002' started by MINIX - Ken, Jan 21, 2015.

1. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Dear all X8 & X8-H (X8-H Plus) users,

I'm writing to apologize to any of you who are suffering from the problems of switching to 4K output resolutions after the most recent firmware update (December 2014).

Problems exhibited as follows:
    1.) Unable to switch to 4K resolutions;
    2.) Screen flickering after swtiching to 4K resolutions;

During the 2 weeks of investigation we have confirmed the issue is caused by some wrong "register" values present in Amlogic's latest SDK.

Their team has been very co-operative working out a fix and I'm here to announce that this problem will be fixed in the coming update via FOTA (users with Decemeber 2014 firmware), full image and USB .zip update package (users with any older version of firmware). Our release schedule will be within January 2015 (within 10 days from now).

In the future, we promise we will double-check those basic features when we are upgrading to newer SDKs to avoid such problem from happening again. We've made a wrong assumption that these settings were not changed.

Again we are truly sorry about the inconvenience caused, please sincerely accept our apologies.

Best Regards,
    Team MINIX.
  2. Rui Oliveira

Rui Oliveira Active Member

Thanks Ken for your Reply and released schedule of the next firmware upgrade. Continue the good work. Great Team Minix!!!! Best Regards.
  3. MINIX - Ken

Thank you. I feel very sorry affecting our users.:cry:
  4. Rui Oliveira

Unfortunately nothing is perfect. There is always time to improve, bugs fixed ... Your support is great. Thank you again.
  5. Johnny the fox

Johnny the fox New Member

Hi Ken.

After I successfully updated my minix X8-H with the latest firmware 02 (second method with manually installation and just update - not wipe data) , then I found out a system update from KOT49H 20141213 - release keys to KOT94-H 20141224- release keys that does the following :
    1) Optimizes some functions of the system and
    2)Fixes some bugs.

I believe that it is an update only and not wiping data.
    Shall I proceed with the update?
  6. MINIX - Ken

It's not wiping data, but if you're using a 4K display I am advising you to skip this update and wait for the next one.
    Since this version is confirmed to be having the 4K output bug.
  7. Johnny the fox

Johnny the fox New Member

Many thanks for your prompt answer .

Many thanks again.!!!
  8. Wush14

Wush14 Member

Ken bought my box in July for 132 euro and I can tell you this box owes me noting. As it was one of the first 4k boxes that truly work with the hardware minus one or two glitches with software.

So far this box has save me hundreds on movie rentals and live sport and is still giving.
    Keep up the good work.

[Edited by Moderator]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  9. MINIX - Ken

Update: We test many Samsung , LG and SONY models and we have come up to a very interesting conclusion:

Most of them are OK @ 4K mode, but each of these brands have 1-2 models that are not OK for some unknown reason(s).
    We're using the same cable, same power adapter and same box during all the tests.

LG: UB9500 is not OK, upgrading to a HDMI 2.0 cable fixed the issue, other models (UB8300, UB8800, LA9700) are OK
    Samsung: UB8800 is not OK, upgrading to a HDMI 2.0 cable couldn't fix the issue, we need to apply a special patch to this model
    SONY: S9000B is not OK, upgrading to a HDMI 2.0 cable fixed the issue, others are fine (X9000B, X8500B, X8000B series)
    Rui Oliveira likes this.
  10. Rui Oliveira

Thank you all for your hard work. Regards
  11. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

I have the Sony X8505B.
    Looking forward to the update so I can run the 4k resolutions again.
    Only get options up to 1080p 60hz on 002A (latest).

Is the update still on track for release within the next week? Or has your investigation about different tv's acting differently delayed things?
  12. MINIX - Ken

Update: problem fixed.
    release is coming.
  13. MINIX - Ken

Should be fine.
    We tested SONY 4K S9000 (surprisingly it has CEC bug); X9000, X8500, X8000 series.
  14. MINIX - Ken

Update: All are OK now. (y)
  15. Michel van Klaveren

Michel van Klaveren New Member

Where can i find the update of januari

My minix is saying there is no update
  16. danlat1415

danlat1415 Active Member

Be patient. They only said they'd fixed the issue a few hours ago.
    Update hasn't been released yet.
    Will be very soon
  17. Michel van Klaveren

Weel there was A post where Said it is comming today the 30/31 of januari.

Is it comming today thats the question?
  18. ENDRJUPL

ENDRJUPL Well-Known Member Super Moderator

It's going to be released this week.
  19. anhil

anhil New Member

By FOTA? It is going to be tight at least in my time zone (UTC+2) ;)
    Well, I still believe in Minix and just ordered a X8-H Plus for US$99 (including delivery) - seems that the seller lost his faith...
    --
    anhil
  20. Michel van Klaveren

When these week is comming the update?