1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Ready for Android 5.* ?/ Minix Roadmap?

Discussion in 'Official Firmware Releases' started by Oilinga, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Oilinga

Oilinga New Member

When is Minix X8-H ready for Android 5.*?
    We needs security patches, bug fixes, new kodi version, new implented Android additionals.
    What is the roadmap for the Minix software development?
    I expect clear statements from the developers.

Facts, Notes and so on
    Greetings from South Germany
  2. Emanuell Hitardo

Emanuell Hitardo New Member

I am not from MINIX.
    But I am not expecting much of Lollipop on my MINIX.

Mainly because of two things:
    - Support from the SoC OEM (Amlogic); and
    - Because I do not really need it.

Do you really need Lollipop on your box? Why?
    sangaz likes this.
  3. Oilinga

Oilinga New Member

my opinion we need Lollipop sometime...
    because:
    Security, Lollipop architecture and general improvements in system stability and
    • Improved RAM management
    • Fixes for sudden app closures
    • Excessive consumption of network devices when used Wi-Fi fixed
    • Issues with wireless connections fixed
    • Some sound problems experience [sic] by certain devices fixed
    • Changes in the Material Design color palette (after users complaints, possibly for a higher version though)
  4. Oilinga

Oilinga New Member

..better

Lollipop - no sometimes -> NOW!!!
  5. Emanuell Hitardo

Have you read the feedback of users of Nexus devices lately?
    Lollipop came out full of problems.

RAM management is the biggest complaint.
    One of the reasons you pointed for "needing" Lollipop.
    Ravendark likes this.
  6. Lanzalad

Lanzalad Member

I would say its like any O/s release its full of bugs and many problems and it takes time to fix all the issues.

I would say many of the problems have been sorted out on the latest firmware updates from Minix.

Now you have to ask your self is it the new O/S you want or one that runs well.
  7. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

We have no plan to go Lollipop unless the hundreds of bugs are fixed.
    The Lollipop improvements are mainly for mobile devices which don't bring you benefits,
    but those bugs that came with it do hurt you, a lot.

So, no Lollipop for now.

P.S. - Support from the SoC OEM (Amlogic); -> Amlogic is having early 5.1 software for evaluation.
    sangaz, Cip, damca and 5 others like this.
  8. dedoz

dedoz New Member

Hey Ken, Any updates on Lollipop upgrade? to be honest with you Iam thinking of selling my Minix box and buy an Nexus player which is currently running Android 6 Marshmallow. I paid around 3 times the price of the Nexus Player on My Minix X8-h, which still 2 major SW versions behind.
    Please consider upgrading.
  9. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

You may sell it if you want to. It's your freedom.
    Our strategy is to maintain our products based on a matured OS version instead of offering something new and buggy over and over again.
    A newer OS version sounds better (?) but not actually bringing you any real benefits.
    Don't be messed up by gimmicks, that's my advice.
    sangaz and Emanuell Hitardo like this.
  10. Emanuell Hitardo

I completely agree!
    Giving me (the consumer) a mature and reliable OS is what I want.

Nexus Player - and all those boxes with Android TV - are very limited, for both applications and features.
    The platform needs to grow, evolve and mature for me to go ahead and buy it.
    Many of the content is not available outside the USA and the application developers do not seem to care about the platform.

In my opinion, Google is commuting another error: fragmenting the Android space.

If you want other options, try the MINIX with Windows 10.
    That is a more full experience, in term of features and you will "always" be up-to-date, specially on bug fixes and protection from exploits.

Android Lollipop does not deserve any of the applauses people have through at it!
    It never got reliable and Google implemented many changes under-the-hood that ruined the all OS.
    Marshmallow is yet to prove itself.

I will stick with MINIX with Android KitKat.
    This is my main media player and it is reliable.

My needs are: play what I want, every time I want as fast as possible.
    And this my MINIX Neo X8-H delivers.
  11. Oilinga

Oilinga New Member

I want to be here from Minix support a binding statement whether the product Minix Minix X8-H a lollipop (or marshmallow) Upgrade appear.
    Each Entwicker has a roadmap. I expect the same from Minix development team! When are the probable release dates?
    Thanks in advance

Oilinga
  12. Oilinga

Oilinga New Member

What is the roadmap for Minix X8-H?
    My Minix box X8-H ist 1 years old and and still Android 4.x.
    That can not be the end of the lifecycle !!!.
    All Android Apps evolve only the firmware of Minix not.
    Support can not be set after 2 years. I will otherwise return the unit to the dealer.

Minix Support Team - Please explain the next steps - now!
    Thx.
    Oilinga
  13. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

[Moderator Notice]
    I've merged all your threads on this topic. There's no need to keep opening new threads.
  14. Oilinga

Oilinga New Member

when we all posts merge, then is my recently topic not visible. This is not advantageous and answered my question to the Minix team not. I want no censorship in this forum. I want to clear understandable statements from Minix support team and no merging of Posts.
    I have a right to know that my paid product has a lifecycle, and it is further supported or I want my money back!
  15. Oilinga

Oilinga New Member

What is the roadmap for Minix X8-H?
    My Minix box X8-H ist 1 years old and and still Android 4.x.
    That can not be the end of the lifecycle !!!.
    All Android Apps evolve only the firmware of Minix not.
    Support can not be set after 2 years. I will otherwise return the unit to the dealer.

Minix Support Team - Please explain the next steps - now!
    Thx.
    Oilinga
  16. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

It's not censorship to merge your posts, it just makes more sense to have all your posts about the same topic in the same thread, rather than in different threads.
    It makes no difference to the visibility of your posts either. Whether you open a new thread or post in an existing thread, the thread with the latest post will appear at the top (after stickies).

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  17. Guy Devorah

Guy Devorah New Member

I just discovered that Kodi 17 will only run on Android 5.x or higher which mean that sooner or later this box will become obsolete. MINIX team - You really need to wake up. We paid good price for the X8-H and deserve proper support. Much cheaper boxes are based on Android 5.x so what's the big deal?
  18. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

The box will only become obsolete when all apps stop working. Kodi is just one app that some people use!
  19. pkroeze

pkroeze New Member

When there won't be a upgrade. I also use other mediacenters with Kodi synchronized through MySQL and al boxes need to be on the same Kodi version, my other mediacenters will be upgraded, If that's not possible with Minix, then Minix will be replaced as it will be the weakest link and become obsolete.

Kodi is the standard for most users, not Minix.
    Matthias54 and Sambolero like this.
  20. Kollektiv01

Kollektiv01 Member

The bugs are fixed or? Because on the Minix Neo U1 runs Android 5.1.