1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

RECOMMENDED: Z83-4 V1.6 BIOS update

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by MINIX - Ken, Mar 27, 2017.

1. srjuanjo

srjuanjo Member

I am aftraid that is not the way it works, with the new bios, doesn't matter what happens the light turns from green to blue after 5 minites, with the previous one when the device is asleep the led is always green. I'll get back to the previous and I'll check for further updates. thanks.
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I know this has nothing to do with the issue particularly but my point is that you said you leave it in sleep so it can perform updates but, afaik, that is not possible if the device is asleep!
    I do respect that there may be an issue and I will check my device asap! :)
  3. borbafett13

borbafett13 New Member

I haven't experienced any of the problems with sound mentioned by others, although i am getting my audio playback via usb connected to my Wyred4sound Dac1. Sound quality is phenomenal And no thumping of any sort.
    Villa likes this.
  4. Villa

Maybe just a thumping on the wall from the neighbours?! :ROFLMAO:
    borbafett13 likes this.
  5. srjuanjo

srjuanjo Member

Maybe I haven't explained properly or you are not keen to understand :)

I leave the device always on, them after a while it sleeps, if there is an update it will update itself, but there are no updates 100% of the time that the minix is on, so the light should be green once it is "sleeping".

For me is convenient leave the box always on, but since I installed this new bios, the blue light (which is too bright for me if I try to rest) is always on, doesn't matter what the box is doing sleeping or not is always on after 5 minutes, not like before.

Do you understand now? Anyway I'll wait to the next update.
    tunay likes this.
  6. Villa

I totally understand your device has an LED issue!
  7. tunay

tunay Member

Same issue with the LED. We need fast update to solve it . Otherwise we have to live with that :(
  8. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Hi Brian, this is not a BIOS issue and can be fixed by a simple flash.
    I'll send you the details this week and you may try.
  9. Brian EclipseWiFi

Brian EclipseWiFi New Member

I'm still experiencing the AUTO POWER ON AFTER AC LOSS still not functioning, regardless of enabling Fast Startup or not. Any new updates on this matter? We buy quite a few of these Z83-4, one just this week, and this function does not work from the BIOS when enabled even with this new unit.
  10. Brian EclipseWiFi

Hi Ken. I just noticed now your post from this morning. I look forward to the details on this. Thanks.
  11. Villa

A simple flash of what?
  12. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

MCU
  13. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Member

Is there anyway to tell witch bios is installed.
  14. Brian EclipseWiFi

Ken, do you have the details you talked of earlier this week regarding "a simple flash" to resolve the AUTO POWER ON AFTER AC LOSS feature that does not work when enabled from the BIOS? Thanks.
  15. huy

huy New Member

Many Thanks to Minix Team
    TPM Modules works like a charm.
    Great Job!!!!!!
  16. georget

georget New Member

Hi Brian. Have you heard back from Ken at Minix on how to do the flash to the MCU ? Hopefully this will allow the Z83-4 to boot back up after a power failure without needing to push the power button.

I know on the old Minix x7 there was a jumper on the circuit board that you could move that would allow auto boot up.
  17. Brian EclipseWiFi

Yes, I did. I finally got the issue resolved this morning thanks to the great assistance (and patience) from Ken. If the AUTO RECOVERY AFTER AC POWER LOSS function on your Z83-4 is not working as it should when enabled via the BIOS, here are the steps I took with the advise of Ken:

First of all, you will need the update package that includes the update.nsh file (the secret sauce to this fix).
    Here is the download link of the update package you need:
    http://www.minixforum.com/downloads/download.php?file=Z83-4_update.zip

Unzip to the root directory of a USB flash drive and insert to a USB port on the Z83-4.
    Power up the Z83-4 and press F11 during boot.
    Boot into "Built-in EFI Shell"
    View attachment 4848

Then, you need to access to the USB drive, usually it's "fs3:" (without quotation marks),
    Once at the fs3: prompt, type update.nsh (assuming the unzipped files including update.nsh are sitting in the root directory of your USB flash drive).
    View attachment 4847
    (note, this attachment illustrates the update.nsh file sitting in a directory. It's a step saved if you simply unzip to the root directory and avoid having to change directory (cd).

Let the update run; it takes a few minutes but you will see the progress listed. Once finished, my Z83-4 powered down automatically and stayed off. I manually powered up the unit. You will need to ESC during boot up to get into the BIOS and (finally) enable (ALWAYS ON) the AUTO RECOVERY FEATURE as it's off by default. F4 to save and exit to OS. Then I ran my test; pulled the juice on the Z83-4 and plugged it back in. Lo and behold, she auto powered up as she should.

I hope this helps. Hopefully this AUTO RECOVERY AFTER AC POWER LOSS feature will function properly when enabled from the BIOS in future productions of the Z83-4 and going through these extra steps won't be necessary.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  18. georget

georget New Member

Brian, this is fantastic! I wish every "issue fix" was written this well. It is going to help a lot of people with the same issue.
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge.
    George
    Brian EclipseWiFi likes this.
  19. Joep Leurs

Joep Leurs New Member

Updated the minix with the firmware. Copied zip to c:\temp, opened a command prompt with administrative rights and launched the bat file. After rebooting it works perfect !
  20. huy

huy New Member

Dear Minix team
    Please instruct us how to update bios v1.6 in DOS-environment with afudos. We need to update the bios without logining into Windows.
    Many thanks.