1. Official MINIX forum

recvd used system from amazon when i ordered new one

Discussion in 'NGC-1' started by jimlo, Dec 13, 2016.

1. jimlo

jimlo New Member

ok this is weird. i just recieved a 'new' ngc-1 from amazon, sold by 'minix technology ltd'

the package looked a little worn, but everything was there...

i booted up, and it looks like it was previously owned by brian lisko.... a forum member..the windows login sceen showed two accounts with this name.

so not a new unit. not even a refurb!

i boot macrium reflect, went to cmd line... 40gb of 128gb used on c:.

looks like he left me some data, which i will wipe.

brian: whats the story on this unit? i tried to reset it to fully clean, but the reset fails and is rolled back

i can't log in... i guess i will return it, but what's going on?
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

3. jimlo

jimlo New Member

he has two accounts.... second one is active.

liskobrian

what's the relationship between Minix the manufacturer and Minix Tech Ltd, the one selling on Amazon.

i did a raw install of win10 1607. im setting drivers now. diplay is a little weird...generic...need to get that sorted...(n)
  4. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

5. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

I would return it to Amazon as it's clearly not a new device which is what you ordered.
    Villa likes this.
  6. Smartie36

Smartie36 Active Member

I wonder if that amazon market trader's name is legit, I have my doubts, especially as that clearly wasn't a new product the op received. I usually avoid buying from market traders where possible and prefer to buy from Amazon themselves.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  7. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

I believe the 'minix technology ltd' is legit and is the official Minix Storefront on amazon.com. Its listed here under North America - http://minix.com.hk/en/suppliers

However these are generally "Sold by MINIX Technology Limited and Fulfilled by Amazon". So Amazon keeps the stock and they pack and ship it. They also deal with returns so its likely a unit returned to Amazon who have just put it back into stock without checking or resetting it.
    newbie99 likes this.
  8. jimlo

jimlo New Member

Brian - if you're listening - please reply to my convo. Thanks.
    I'm wondering why you returned the unit. I got it running after reinstalling windows and stressed it all night long. seems to be OK. I'd rather just keep it unless you tell me you had some sort of hw problem w/ it - in which case I'll return it to Amazon. Thanks. -jim-
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  9. liskobrian

liskobrian Member

My ears are ringing.... While not here often, I have several MINIX devices and check in frequently. The computer has some serious issues. After being left on for more than a couple of hours it starts to overheat, shuts itself down, and then needs to have the BIOS reset to their original configuration. It's happened over and over and over again for several months help. I contacted Minix for help. Eventually Minix in China said that I needed to pay to ship it to them so they can test it and would return it in about 1 month. Not wanting to lose my only PC for a month, I returned it to Amazon and bought something else.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  10. liskobrian

liskobrian Member

I would absolutely return. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I would suspect there is some kind of hardware issue due to the overheating.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  11. jimlo

jimlo New Member

Got it. Thanks.

It a Cat and Dog world out there. Gotta be careful!
  12. jimlo

jimlo New Member

OK. Status report - so folks won't think these things are prone to overheating all the time.

Well... so far so good... system is working well as expected.... after I cleaned it up.
    I have another ~days to go to see if this one will be a keeper before my amazing Amazon 30 day return period expires.
    I upgraded the BIOS to 1.3, fresh installed Win 10 1607, and am running the system with Balanced Power Plan.
    I suspect that if the system is run with the High Performance Power Plan (cpu always at 100% power) it would get quite hot.
    I have not experienced any of the symptoms that Brian described. Kinda weird...but I'm thankful..
    I'm using this system as a desktop replacement for web browsing, email, record keeping. Works fine.
    I did upgrade the internal SSD with a 512GB Transcend SATA III 6Gb/s M.2 SSD and that was fairly simple, after struggling a bit with w/ the 4 case screws.
    IT WOULD BE NICE if Minix offered larger SSDs as options. (Anyone want to buy a lightly used 128gb SSD?)
    I'm also using a WD Elements 1TB USB3 drive as a backup device, and that is working well too.
    The system is not as fast as my old Dell Inspiron i3 (2.3ghz/8gb) system, but it takes up less desk space and suites my needs.
    Higgs likes this.
  13. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

We are releasing FW2.9 this week for the SSD drive we shipped with,

it has been tested for over 6000+ power cycles, and should 100% get rid of the problem reported before (even though it's rare).
  14. liskobrian

liskobrian Member

My new unit works great after returning old one.