1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Removing Windows 10 and installing Android OS

Discussion in 'NEO Z64 Windows 10/8.1' started by Mike Kerrigan, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Mike Kerrigan

Mike Kerrigan New Member

Hello I am a new member Mike.

I would really like to take off windows and put either Ubuntu or Android OS on my Minix Neo Z64
    is this even possible, and how cold I go about it. I have built RPI's and several android / openelec TV boxes
    mostly with Kodi running.

Thanks any help appreciated
  2. Deadman INC.

Deadman INC. Member

You don't want to use the native android 4.4 ... There isn't any support from minix, no security updates, ...

Use a ubuntu 32bit install.
  3. Mike Kerrigan

Mike Kerrigan New Member

Thanks Deadman INC. sorry I haven't gotten back to you before. If I do a factory reset will i get Windows 8.1 back
  4. Deadman INC.

Deadman INC. Member

Hi Mike,

No you won't.

The Android image will wipe the entire disk.

When going from windows to android, you will also need to swap bios from x86 to x64.

It's a simle but tedious process for the first time :)

I repeat, you do not wan't the minix android image for the Z64.

I have installed RemixOS on the Z64 with trial and error, but I'm getting no Hardware acceleration for gpu.
    So video's from plex and youtube don't work well... even KODI is stuttering all over the place.

Windows 10 is THE BEST option for this tiny computer.
  5. Mike Kerrigan

Mike Kerrigan New Member

Thanks for your reply appreciate your help, I will stick with Windows 10 then it's just that since it upgraded from windows 8 to 10 it seems to have gotten rather slow and like you say Kodi is a struggle, I haven't got the greatest internet speed either. I am using 500Mbps TP Link adapters, so I think I will just run a cable to the tv box and see if that improves it.

Thanks again for your time.