1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

SD and HHD Write permissions Test with Kodi 17.1 on U9-X

Discussion in 'Kodi/XBMC for MINIX' started by Cizzz, May 19, 2017.

1. Cizzz

Cizzz Active Member

Just to share my testing results of trying to get global write/delete permissions for Kodi on all external storage, besides the allowed folders ../Android/.data/org.xbmc.kodi on SD and HHD.

So I decompiled the latest Kodi APK and added
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE"/>
    to the androidmanifest.xml file. Re-compiled and signed the apk again.

Unfortunately as many thought android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE is not an official permission settings that can be used for store apps but is reserved for Android system apps only.

So, I temperately rooted my device and moved my Kodi version to the /system/app folder, which augmented its permissions and this action allowed writing and deleting anywhere on the external storage's. But I don't like this.

I did a lot of research and the only way I found to have full write permissions is by adding this line
    <item name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" granted="true" flags="0" />
    to the \data\system\packages.xml file. This can be done for all apps that you would like, like Es File explorer, Titanium backup, ...
    writekodi1.jpg

The only other option I found to achieve the above tweak is to root your hub, install Xposed Framework; Xposed Installer and the Marshmallow SD Fix app from the Google store.
    writekodi2.jpg

There are a lot of tools out there change will try to change the platform.xml, but this is not working for me. It freezes my hub. Perhaps putting in directly into the Minix firmware could work.

So to conclude, not possible in my opinion if you are not rooted. So not really worth it?
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. jaminis

jaminis New Member

Wow, that is very impressive Cizzz. It leaves little doubt after your effort that it can't be done without rooting. I too was hoping that it could somehow be written directly into the Minix firmware. Maybe Ken will consider this.