1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Setting up VPN

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by Phil1981, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Phil1981

Phil1981 New Member

Hi All,

On my home page on my box in the top left hand corner next to the wifi and Ethernet symbols theres a VPN icon, which I imagine goes green when one is connected?

Can anybody point me in the direction of how to set one and where to get the details from?

I know you can download a VPN app, but I wanted one that was connected all the time rather than having to manually start each time I use it?

Thanks

Phil
  2. static

static New Member

Am wondering too. Am using ExpressVPN but have to activate it via the app itself.
  3. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

The VPN icon only goes green if you set up a VPN connection using the android settings, it does not turn green if you use a VPN app...... Ive reported this to Minix as a kind of bug as I think its misleading.

Ref ExpressVPN, I don't know if you can set this up to auto start from within its settings anywhere ... I use PIA VPN and you certainly can with this.
  4. kempnerj

kempnerj New Member

I just downloaded Norton's VPN last night. I've been trying to figure out how to set it up all morning.
  5. Chris Wright

Chris Wright New Member

I'd like to know this too please minix, can minix supply connection details to connect to a VPN server. Keep us all safe and sale of boxes flowing. There's talk of banning VPS's I've heard.
  6. kempnerj

kempnerj New Member

No one is offering a solution so I guess this is not considered an important issue.....
  7. Frederick_99

well assuming you have puchased a vpn service from a provider you just install their android app
  8. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

But you never asked a question! :rolleyes:
    You should contact the VPN service support if you're having issues!

I gathered all the information I required from the Support section of the VPN service I use. (y)
  9. kempnerj

kempnerj New Member

I downloaded and installed the VPN to my U1 and I opened it. The issue I'm having is knowing the setting info my U1 is asking for. Installing it to my device is not enough to turn the "VPN" icon green. I need the setting info.
  10. kempnerj

kempnerj New Member

The question was asked at the beginning of this thread.
  11. Villa

You didn't start the thread but only hijacked it to make a statement!
    What's the issue?
  12. kempnerj

kempnerj New Member

I'm sorry if you feel like I "hijacked the thread". I replied to phil1981 on the 29th of July. I had the same issue he had along with several other "new" folks.

My statement today was that no one replied with a solution.

I have stated several time what the issue is. At this point I'll figure out on my own.

Again I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
  13. Frederick_99

I advised on the status of the icon going green ( or not) as a response to the o/p

How is the U1 asking for a setting ? ...please post a screenshot as I cant think what you mean by this.
  14. Villa

Sorry, I missed this post as you posted around the same time I posted above this post and you posted twice in succession.

The anomaly is that twice you have said you have downloaded and installed the VPN but a VPN is purely a service and is not downloadable.
    We can only assume you mean you have downloaded and installed a VPN app.
    Have you signed up with a VPN service provider?

Norton VPN I am not familiar with!
    Do you mean this?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.symantec.securewifi&hl=en
  15. kempnerj

kempnerj New Member

Settings > Network > VPN > + > Edit VPN profile. I'm using Norton's Wifi Privacy VPN.

I downloaded and installed it to the U1. It shows up in my Apps and it appears to be running (like it does on my laptop).

I believe the VPN is not green on the home screen because I have not completed the above settings.

I don't know the server name that I need to complete the VPN profile.

See attached screen shot.

Attached Files:

16. Villa

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/norton-wi-fi-privacy-app,news-22912.html

My advice would be to sign up for a free trial (no credit card needed) of a proper VPN service. (y)
  17. kempnerj

kempnerj New Member

18. Frederick_99

yes, exactly what @Villa has suggested...if you install a proper VPN ( like PIA or IP Vanish etc) it will work just fine using their android app and very easy to set up...... no need to go into settings > network etc....
    only downside is that the green VPN icon doesn't light up, which as i mentioned above i believe to be a bug in the minix firmware and should either be fixed or removed to avoid confusion (reported to @MINIX - Ken )
  19. Villa

20. Frederick_99

it does yes, but that doesn't negate my argument about the "green" VPN icon ;)