1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

skype on u9 h

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by vfc, Sep 18, 2017.

1. JonW

JonW Member

I'd try updating (uninstall reinstall even). I know my windows Skype version updated last night, and they've been finicky lately with people using old versions (this is how the Logitech TV cam died, couldn't update as they stopped supporting Android TV then they started disconnecting old versions - you'd log on then 30 seconds later it would log you off)

draper29 likes this.
  2. vfc

vfc Active Member

Have tried that but made no difference.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

PhillyGTA likes this.
  3. vfc

vfc Active Member

Has anyone anything new on this matter.
    I have Logitech can on both U1 & U9 with no use for me as they were used solely for Skype.
    Any new suggestion welcome. Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

PhillyGTA likes this.
  4. JonW

JonW Member

No, Skype still working fine for me other than sounds occasionally not working which reboot solves. I have a c910 that supports h.264.

If the usb webcam is showing as your audio and video input device in settings only 4 things I can speculate are:

1. Unplug every other USB device, reboot and try again (suggestions previously that web cam dropped if not the final usb device). If that helps play with where you have it plugged in. I have ours in the rear most one/third back from front (next to OTG)

2. Try Google Hangouts. Personally I got your issue of video being dropped with hangouts and doesnt seem to be an isolated instance from other threads

3. Try a camera with h.264 encoding (or at least one of the Minix certified list). This is wild speculation on my part but if Skype were to be using VP9 because your webcam doesn't support h.264 this might be a cause (despite suggestions it takes the raw feed and uses software compression instead of the cameras own hardware compressed feed)

4. Factory reset and see if that helps?

vfc likes this.
  5. JonW

JonW Member

Had a chance to fiddle with the inlaws U9 recently trying to figure out the sound dropping issue.

Changing USB order (wireless mouse, A3 air mouse and webcam) made no difference and I ddidn't completely solve. However one thing I did find was that my sound input devices list was only coming up with on board audio (mic in) and usb neo A3 air mouse (which had the added ability to talk into it vs. A2). Web cam didn't come up at all so I've taken out the A3 air mouse dongle and gone with just the normal wireless mouse.

After this the webcam (c910) showed up as expected and I changed the setting to specifically use this instead of auto. Still had issues when I was testing but worked without issues last night when they skyped us so fingers crossed......

PhillyGTA likes this.
  6. JonW

JonW Member

And again last night...

7. vfc

vfc Active Member

I am of the opinion that now Minix should do something about this matter!
    I still have the Ui & U9 out of action when it comes to skye or also now duo.
    On Duo the sound has stopped working some time ago- the cam does stay switched on but on video works, no sound.
    By the way both s work fine on my pc. I also have 2 tablets and 2 mobile phones that work fine with Skype and Duo (on phones).

PhillyGTA likes this.
  8. JonW

JonW Member

Do you have the A3 air mouse and if so have you tried both removing the dongle and removing as an "additional device" in settings, then after restarting choose the webcam as the audio input device instead of auto? This worked for me as it only seemed to find 1 usb input device - the remote - when I had both connected.

I dont know if this is an Android constraint or an issue with how the firmware loads usb devices (other threads have suggested issues with only devices on the last port loading properly) but all I can suggest based on my experience is:

1. Try the above
    2. Email Minix support instead of waiting for them to respond on the (community managed) forum
    3. Try a USB hub instead

Good luck

draper29 likes this.
  9. JonW

JonW Member

10. vfc

vfc Active Member

I have tried again to solve this problem.
    To me now it seems to be the usb connections.
    Camera does respond when no other usb is inserted and as soon as another is inserted, webcam stops working. it has nothing to do with Skype at all.
    Of course we cannot operate skype as we need to use the a2 /3 remote, so we have to insert the usb.
    Anymore suggestions or confirm what i am thinking as per the above.
    Oh, last thing - what has happened to the update we have been promised since last year? Will this matter be solved out?
    By the way I have the same problem on my U1.

11. JonW

JonW Member

Since ditching the air mouse (just unplugging didnt seem to be enough we also had to go into setrings and remove it as a devulice) we haven't had many issues . So I'd say definitely related to USB and probably the specific way the air mouse is managed....

vfc likes this.