1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Slow HDMI videoport?

Discussion in 'NGC-1' started by Borremans, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Borremans

Borremans New Member

I have a NGC-1 placed under my 4K Samsung 65” TV. If I play movies, with for example VLC, the movies are getting slow, and give a terrible image. If I make the window smaller on screen, the problem disappear. It is only on full window.

If I stream the movie to the TV, the image is perfect, but then I don’t have subtitles (and we need them). This is why I suppose the HDMI port is to slow. I updated the Bios, controlled fur updates,... but nothing getting better. Anyone a suggestion?
  2. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

About what video-format do we talk (e.g. x264, x265, vp9, ...)?
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  3. Borremans

Borremans New Member

It's like X264, and X265. I see most video's have this format.
    Resolution fo the TV: 3840x2160 (30Hz)
  4. newbie99

5. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

I think it's because the PC is running at 4K 30Hz, the 30Hz makes you feel slow.

If you set it to 1920x1080x60p, you feel fast.
  6. Borremans

Borremans New Member

I tried the MPC-HC. it works better than the VLC, but it is still going slow.

I 'll try to change the resolution, but it's a pity I have to lower the resolution on de NGC-1 to make video running on my TV.
    I ‘m shore this will work, but this is not the solution I was hoping for.
    Is it because of a slow video chipset?
  7. newbie99

Any chance to get 'PowerDVD Ultra' (>=15)?

I read at an older review of a device also using the N3150 that the VLC and also the MPC-HC are not optimized for the N3150 (using GPU for decoding) but the review is from June 2015 so I don't know if meanwhile something happens at the MPC-HC... with 'PowerDVD Ultra 15' they didn't have any problem...
  8. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

This chip support HDMI 1.4b only so it means 4K 30Hz max.
    30Hz may make you feel slow.

If you need full 4K 60Hz, get our NEO U1, or a mini computer based on Kaby Lake processor.
  9. Borremans

Borremans New Member

Sorry for the late reply. It was kind of buzzy latelie.
    I tried the resolution 1920x1080x60p, but than I loose info on the outer edge. So this is no option.
    So I gues I need to find an alternatif for the NGC-1.
    Thanks for your Help.
  10. DRushmere

DRushmere New Member

I think the problem here is that although MiniX claims support for 4K 30fps it actually cannot handle it very well and is basically useless for anything above 1080p
  11. Borremans

Borremans New Member

True, but the leaflet says it can handle 4K. And I both it as a mediacenter. Now I am looking for an alternative. Anyone a suggestion? Preferably on windows 10, and almost the same dimensions.

I must say that I am septic now if the leaflet says 4K: Were must I also look for if I want to play movies on this resolution?
  12. DRushmere

DRushmere New Member

I know it's frustrating. There's really nothing you can do as the box is the box so unless you change the processor to one with a better GPU then your out of luck. I would recommend not buying a MiniX product next time.
  13. ilGimmy

ilGimmy Member

I think you're merging different things into a single problem.
    - Keep desktop at 1080p60 to feel it snappy;
    - set overscan in TV not to loose edges (pc mode/just scan/overscan are different name for the same setting);
    - configure mp-hc to change screen resolution to fit the media you're playing (so you get 24p for 24p video and 4K when needed).

I think in this way you'll enjoy your NGC-1.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
    Villa likes this.