1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

Slow network speeds?

Discussion in 'NEO X6' started by SLIZZARD, Feb 15, 2015.

1. SLIZZARD

SLIZZARD New Member

For some strange reason I am only getting 7Mb down and 20Mb up on my 250/50 wired connection.

I have tried multiple speed test sites and apps and have gotten the same results.

This is preventing me from streaming HD content. I have also had this issue on my parents X8
  2. SLIZZARD

SLIZZARD New Member

Also when I flashed 004 it went down to 3.1 down and 9.11 upstream. Something is definately wrong here
  3. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

What is your router's brand and model? How old is it?
  4. MINIX - Ken

Have you try connecting the cable directly to the Ethernet port of X6 and run the tests?
  5. Meng Chan

Meng Chan New Member

I am also facing the same really terrible wifi connection speed cant even steam a normal HD movie on my X6
  6. 2evgeny

2evgeny New Member

I hava slow network speed too. no more than 10mb and internet speed 100mb
  7. SLIZZARD

SLIZZARD New Member

Yes mine is wired.
    the box probably only has a 100/10 ethernet port so it can't stream HD properly

I sold the box and bought an x8h plus and have no issues now
  8. 2evgeny

2evgeny New Member

which connection is better,faster ethernet or wi-fi on x6?
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  9. MINIX - Ken

Must be Ethernet.
  10. Daniboyuk

Daniboyuk New Member

I'm going to bump this, there is definitely an issue with the ethernet connection on mine, I have a vpn which will effect speeds of my 50 meg BB.
    Ethernet test around 4.5 download
    WiFi test around 12 download

I even bought a new ethernet cable and same results. Anyone else experiencing this or know any fixes?
  11. Daniboyuk

Daniboyuk New Member

12. mchp92

mchp92 Active Member

Can u describe the total chain from ur doorstep to ur minix? What models router / switch etc needs ur traffic go thru to reach the box?
    Is there any othr cabling beside the one u changed? If u put another device (laptop or so) on the cable instead or minix, do u get differen speeds?
  13. Daniboyuk

Daniboyuk New Member

Thanks for the reply, I was getting lonely ha. It's really annoying me, running out of ideas. I have virgin media super hub in the UK. I'm using pia android app on the minix. The app is running slow speeds, and I am about to set up open vpn app to see of that helps with its speeds, as recommended by their support. Without the vpn, wifi is much better 30 meg, however ethernet is still only 10 meg, which makes no sense. I've tested with different speed tests, all similar including speed of me and have no issues with any other connections or the cable with tests.

I'm hoping the open vpn will solve the vpn wifi speed and I will just use that. However seems strange ethernet is soo slow. I should be getting nearly my full 50 meg using it. My box isn't rooted also.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
  14. Daniboyuk

Daniboyuk New Member

I have a low setting on my router firewall, attached is my settings

Attached Files:

15. Daniboyuk

Daniboyuk New Member

I'm reluctant to remove the firewall as it will leave my network vulnerable.
  16. oldbirchy

oldbirchy Active Member

I have never seen a problem with Ethernet before but have had to send back a number of x6 due to poor WiFi speeds.
  17. Daniboyuk

Daniboyuk New Member

Well bought one of these

Changed ethernet to USB and full 50 meg speed
  18. Daniboyuk

Daniboyuk New Member

Can't post link..
    ANDROID Ethernet Adapter USB to RJ45 3066 mk808 b mk802 lan tablet stick
  19. Remco1001

Remco1001 New Member

I have the same probleem, i have a wired speed of 90mb/s when I'm using the minix I have only 15 mb/s this is the same when I'm using Wifi. Is this a problem from the neo 6?
  20. Jason h2

Jason h2 New Member

Has there been any progress on this??
    Is there a way to boost network performance without sacrificing usb ports and buying usb to ethernet converters etc??

My Issue:
    Wifi is 15Mbps slower on the minix than on any other droid device I own.
    Ethernet is 15Mbps slower on the mini than on any other device (windows and droid) connected by ethernet.
    Although I have a 30Mbps LTE connection so in theory streaming video should be ok, the LATENCY on the minix also averages 40 to 90 ms. This makes it almost impossible to stream video.
    Other devices the latency is usually 14ms to 18ms

My unit is the Neo x6

I'm really unhappy with my minix and wish I had bought any other cheap no-name brand for a 3rd of the price. I also can't resell the unit to replace with a no-name brand because the retail price on the minix has now dropped after I bought mine and everyone is buying the cheaper ones (and not having problems).

Things I have done to try make the unit usable:
    Fitted a +9dbi High gain antenna to my LTE router (Huawei B315 LTE Router)
    Replaced my Huawei with a TP-Link MR-200 Archer LTE Router.
    Tested using a HP wifi access point.
    Hardwired the minix to the router with a cat6e ethernet cable.
    Reconfigured the router to ensur eonly the minix is using is with maximum bandwidth priority.
    installed apps to kill all processes on the minix and free up as much memory as possible before using.