1. MINIX team will be having Chinese Lunar New Year holidays from 23/01 to 05/02, replies will be limited during this period, please kindly note.

Tutorial Small mouse pointer on X7 Kitkat v240 [ROOT]

Discussion in 'NEO X7 Guides & FAQs' started by ries, Jun 30, 2015.

1. ries

ries New Member

The latest official firmware for the Minix Neo X7, Android Kitkat v240, features the return of the big old mouse pointer.
    If you prefer the smaller mouse pointer used in v230, here's a method to get it back.

WARNING: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I am not a developer, and in no way affiliated with the development team. I'm just a member of the forum and this is just a quick and dirty 'hack' that works for me. As far as I can tell this method should not affect any future OTA updates (devs, correct me if I'm wrong) except maybe that updating may restore the big mouse pointer. The 'hack' consists of replacing a system file on a running system and therefore your firmware needs to be rooted. If you're not familiar with rooting then maybe you should settle with the big mouse pointer and hope the developers will make an official update.zip or possibly even the feature of choosing your preferred mouse pointer in a future OTA update? :)

Short explanation of how it's done:

The mouse pointer images are embedded in a system file called framework-res.apk. I took the framework-res.apk files from both the v230 rom and the v240 rom and compared them to find the different mouse pointer images. I replaced the big mouse pointer images (they come in 3 resolutions) in the v240 file with the small mouse pointer images from the v230 file by opening both apk files in WinRar and dragging the images from the old apk to the new apk and overwriting them.
    I've provided my modified framework-res.apk below so all you have to do is replace the original one with this modified one.

The actual instructions:

-Make sure your system is rooted (note: rooting your system voids your warranty!)
    -Make sure Root Explorer in ES Explorer is turned on (via Tools menu) and it has root permission
    -Download my modified framework-res.apk here and copy it to your /system folder. From there you can change its permissions to rw-r--r-- (Select the file and choose properties from the ES File Explorer menu. There you will find the option to change permissions. Thanks to Mikelouk for pointing this out)
    -Now go to /system/framework and make a backup of the original framework-res.apk file
    -Replace the original framework-res.apk with the modified one by overwriting it
    -Note: Your system might or might not freeze at this point. Mine did, probably because I forgot to change the permissions of the modded file before overwriting the original. If your Minix freezes, shut it off by holding down the power button on the device and then turn it on again.
    -Enjoy your beloved tiny mouse pointer! :)

ries
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. Mikelouk

Mikelouk New Member

@ries the link is broken..can you give a valid link? :D
  3. ries

ries New Member

Hi Mikelouk, I fixed the link. Please let me know if this worked for you...
  4. Mikelouk

Mikelouk New Member

@ries unfortunately didnt work..i had to reflash 230
  5. ries

ries New Member

Sorry to hear that. Did your system stop working after replacing the file or were you unable to replace the file?
  6. Mikelouk

Mikelouk New Member

@ries while i was overwriting the stock framework apk my minix froze( probably before replacing it) ...then it stuck in the minix logo..
  7. ries

ries New Member

Hmm, maybe I was just lucky.. Too bad it didn't work for you. Thanks for the feedback though..
  8. Mikelouk

Mikelouk New Member

i just made it work...what you forgot to mention is that BEFORE replacing the stock one with the modified one..you should first change the permissions to rw-r--r-- ...then it doesn't even freeze... @ries
    ries likes this.
  9. ries

ries New Member

Thank you Mikelouk, I edited my post accordingly.
    Mikelouk likes this.