1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

SMBv2 not supported by Minix U1 / XBMC 16.3 Beta?

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by htrex, May 12, 2018.

1. htrex

htrex New Member

I've a Synology DS218+, a very good and recent NAS, it allows to share folders on the net choosing the SMB min/max allowed version from v1 to v3.

SMBv1 is notoriously insecure so I've tried to switch the minimum allowed version to SMBv2 instead of SMBv1.

Unfortunately my Minix U1 with latest firmware and latest XBMC 16.3 Beta couldn't anymore access the previously configured network folders so I had to revert the min allowed version to SMBv1 on the NAS.

I've checked the Minix XBMC 16.3 beta settings about SMB and could only find a "force SMBv1" flag which is NOT checked on my U1.

Looking at that setting Minix XBMC 16.3 beta supposedly supports SMB versions > v2, but it seems it doesn't or there's a bug in it's support.

Every other computer on my network using Kodi 17.x has no problems to access the same configured network shares when the NAS is set to SMBv2 minimum allowed version.

I'm not updating my U1 to XBMC 17.x as reading reports from other users on this forum it seems to suffer other bugs on the U1.

Should I expect new updates for my U1, at least for security patches, or just throw my U1 and remember to never buy a Minix again?

2. skynet

skynet Moderator Moderator

Use NFS instead of SMB, it's faster and your Synology support it very well.
    On my 3 Synology (DS214, DS3615XS x 2 ) i use NFS with my Minix boxes.

3. Bubba

Bubba Member

NFS outperforms Samba as previously mentioned. I use it to stream stuff from my Linux server. Works like a charm.

4. htrex

htrex New Member

Thanks for your advice! Can you please share an how to guide to configure both the Synology NAS and Minix TV box with NFS?

5. skynet

6. skynet

7. htrex

htrex New Member

@skynet thanks for the guides, but both the videos you've posted show how to make NFS work giving permissions to every unauthenticated user.
    NFSv4 can be configured to use per-user authentication only when combined with a Kerberos server, which is an enterprise level network service that I don't have on my home network, and is a PITA to configure anyway.

I'd like to switch to SMBv2 because of SMBv1 security flaw.
    If to do that I need to use NFS and give access permissions to every unauthenticated user on the NAS, leaving SMBv1 enabled feels like a better option, but that's not a good one at all!

8. skynet

Hi,
    Nope, the all permission ( * ) let all hosts to connect to Syno.
    You can just add U1 IP address as the only host then everything will be secure. No need to install Kerberos ;)

9. htrex

htrex New Member

Limiting connections to a "trusted" IP address is not secure at all. Configuring the trusted IP as static on another host is easy and the only thing necessary to hijack that "security" measure.

My U1 is just 1.5 years old and Minix not offering security patches after such a short period of time sucks.
    Likely I will not buy a Minix again.

10. skynet

Limiting to a LOCAL IP address ...
    I don't sepak about opening a public IP.
    You still have a router and a firewall.

Any, use what you want ;)