1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

[SOLVED] cannot reset the unit

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by menashe elisha, Dec 20, 2016.

1. menashe elisha

menashe elisha New Member

Hi guys,

I got a problem and hope that you could help. My unit didn't function well so I tried to reset the computer with keeping my files. After about 30% it stopped and I got a message that there is something wrong and started again without restoring but added a folder with weird name and it's more than 8 GB which cannot be deleted.

I tried to reset the computer again with clean install deleting all the personal files and I got the same result as above.

I know that there is a way of installing the win 10 by usb drive but I wont do it because it's from my other desktop computer and have license only for it.

Any help wil be much appreciated
  2. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Have you tried this option?
    Re...
    ...it doesn't matter as the license is embedded in the UEFI.

Or use this option...
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO
  3. menashe elisha

Tanks a lot for your reply. I'll try the second option
  4. menashe elisha

Hi Villa and everyone
    I tried the 2 suggestions without any succes. Each attempt to reinstall clean windows stopped after 31% and had a message that there is a problem occured and my unit restart to the old windows.
  5. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

How much disk space is left on your device?

If you are doing a clean install, not recovery, then the storage should be formatted before proceeding and shouldn't have the option to restart to the old Windows?
  6. menashe elisha

About 8 gb
  7. MINIX - Ken

That's too little for reinstalling the OS.
    You need more space, please run a disk cleanup of the C: drive,
    remove old Windows version & update backup files.
    There are many GB of those.
  8. menashe elisha

First, thanks Ken for your reply.
    You're right there is a folder which start with $ sign and it contains over 8 GB. I tried to delete it in every possible way that I know including disk cleanup but didn't help.
    even when I run disk cleanup it shows that there is about 9 gb to delete but didn't delete it.
  9. MINIX - Ken

Disk Cleanup -> Click on the option "Clean up system files" -> check all available files to clean up after the full scan
  10. menashe elisha

That's exactly what I have done. I 'll do it again this evening and may be this time will work
  11. menashe elisha

Hi again,
    I think that I "killed" my minix. I tried to reinstall win 10 by usb drive on the main partition (there are 3 more, system, recovery and msr) but kept on notifiying that there isnt enough space to install. I had more than 13 GB of free space and since I wanted to do a clean installation so I let him format the drive and now have the whole 28.7 gb free space and still getting the message again.
    Now after lots of attempts to reinstall I still got the message + "the system volume does not contain the required free space". The system partition is only 64 mb and have 11 mb free space. I don't know if I format this partition this could help and I can't extend this partition either.
    I'm telling you this mess because may be I did something wrong and you better be careful when making these steps.
  12. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

I don't know what you had done at the SSD while you try to install windows, but I would delete all partitions and let do windows the job (create partitions, format ...)...
  13. menashe elisha

Thanks for your reply. what I did now is to format the system partition and the installation started. Now I'll have to install the other drivers.
  14. MINIX - Ken

Drivers can be found in the FAQ section.
  15. menashe elisha

Thank you very much all. I succeeded to reinstall with all the drivers and it works fine.
    MINIX - Ken likes this.
  16. MINIX - Ken

So was space the factor?
  17. menashe elisha

I don't think so. Before I formated the unit I had more than 12 gb of free space and get announced that's not enough and after the reinstalling it used less than 10 gb.
  18. the0bone

the0bone Member

I have the same issue. Try to reset to factory. From the Windows Menu as well from the Windows Boot Menu.
    Both option. Fast and Secure. Both fail after the reboot.

I try now the other way, if I have the time.
  19. menashe elisha

As I said before I tried the both ways but didn't help and that's the reason that I did the clean install from USB. Don't forget to format the system folder otherwise it won't install.
    Good luck
  20. the0bone

the0bone Member

Can you help me, how you did it?
    I created the ISO USB drive on my Mac.
    Can also list it there and so on. Have a setup.exe in the root and a efi Folder as well.

On the Minix Windows it is not recognized.
    Further it is not bootable from the bios.
    Also not going into the EFI Shell and run \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI after changing the drive to USB.

Where do I think wrong?