1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

SOLVED - Samba Share Not Working

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus' started by Mark112887, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Mark112887

Mark112887 Member

I recently updated my box to the latest firmware that includes the built-in samba server. When I go into the settings to enable the feature I cannot see my box on my Windows machine. I have network discovery enabled and my box has never been previously rooted in any way. Can anyone help me get this working?
    ByteShare likes this.
  2. lalalala

lalalala Member

Google it.
  3. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

very helpful advice
    zarb, mxu1 and ByteShare like this.
  4. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I too have never been able to see the device on a Windows 7 machine!

My X7 can see it though.

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x8-h-plus-006-beta2-firmware-june-2015.5972/page-6#post-56729
  5. lalalala

lalalala Member

It is not a clickandgo you must follow tutorial about your exact flavour of windows. Google it.
  6. Villa

If you know the solution then why not share it!

At least a helpful "Google It" link.
    mxu1, zarb and ByteShare like this.
  7. lalalala

lalalala Member

8. Frederick_99

maybe a little help and direction from minix guys would be useful in how to use samba
    i guess most windows users would be on 7 or 8(.1) now

its not obvious to me what this new feature is intended to provide
    :unsure:
  9. Dr Goodvibes

Dr Goodvibes The Doctor

Enable SAMBA on Minix X8H-Plus.

Enter \\192.168.1.n into Windows Explorer.(the file browser not the internet browser).

In the username/password popup enter X8H-Plus SAMBA username/password.

Above assumes you're using a default class C IP address.
  10. Villa

NB: Before you start, it is best to give your device a Static IP address. (y)

Mapping the Samba Share as a Network Drive on a Windows 7 PC
    Right click on Computer, and select "Map network drive":

[​IMG]

Enter IP address for device.
    X8-H Plus: Replace xmodulo with X8H
    U1: Replace xmodulo with U1

[​IMG]

Username: root
    Password: 123

[​IMG]

Thanks to @Alexei's post...
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x8-h-plus-006-beta2-firmware-june-2015.5972/page-6#post-56696
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    Garry Ellis, cfraser, zarb and 5 others like this.
  11. Villa

zarb likes this.
  12. Dr Goodvibes

Dr Goodvibes The Doctor

Is there an X8H mount point configured on the X8H Plus?

I have root access on my X8H-Plus and with just the DHCP host name I see the complete / file system.

Way cool for tooling with the system.

To cold to get out of bed to check. :)

Somebody..???...wheel my bed into the day room.
  13. Mark112887

Mark112887 Member

That did the trick, thank you so much for the assistance. I had read every single page of that thread but the reason I didn't follow the steps in the first place was because I was under the impression that I should have been able to see the box in my network area. That and it was about 3 o'clock in the morning at the time and I was a little bit too tired

Just to confirm the box should not be discoverable by Windows, is this correct?

I have no problem with manually mapping the drive because I have made my IP address static anyway
  14. Frederick_99

15. Villa

X8-H Plus is quite new to me, not been using it really. When I received it recently I installed 006Beta firmware to test the Samba server and got nothing at the Windows end and it appeared others had the same problem. I gave up, didn't see/missed the correct answers in the 006Beta forum and returned to my X7. Your post sparked me off again 'coz I really wanted to get to the bottom of this.

So thank you too! (y)
    DEFCON2 likes this.
  16. Mark112887

Mark112887 Member

Just to confirm the box should not be discoverable by Windows, is this correct?
  17. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Anything we need to do?
  18. Dr Goodvibes

Dr Goodvibes The Doctor

@Villa all working now? :)

I see there is a x8h mount point, but I never enter/use it (I have a rooted box). ::cowboy:: but I recommend using the mount point X8H
    I mount the X8H-Plus SAMBA share in MS Windows File Explorer using:

\\192.168.1.nnn\X8H

I don't map a drive or do any 'fancy' Windows configuration as I have a few Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices and only need periodic host to host file access and nothing long term.

One can do that later if you want a more controlled setup.
    Experience has taught me to get something working at it's simplest and then build on that.

My quick and easy example above works on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
    Also works on any Android device when using ES File Explorer and then setting up a 'server' mount point in the LAN screen.

SAMBA configuration file is located as /etc/smb.conf

You do need to be in the same IP subnet/LAN to get a simple example working.
    And workgroup = WORKGROUP

If you want to access SAMBA on the Minix X8H-Plus using NetBIOS (god help us all) the host name is ANDROID.

@Mark112887 if you're going to manually assign the share in Windows, you probably don't need it as discoverable and as such it shouldn't appear as a resource in Windows Network. I never worry about this so not 100% sure.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    DEFCON2 likes this.
  19. PaJoe

PaJoe Member

What is samba server and what does it do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    stevetat likes this.
  20. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Simply speaking it makes your box a media server and you could view the contents from other devices such as your PC or your tablet.
    stevetat likes this.