1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

SOLVED - Samba Share Not Working

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus' started by Mark112887, Jul 10, 2015.

1. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

It may be better to map specific folders for your storage, rather than map the entire box. I only mention this for those who are not proficient in file management. Copying or deleting files to and from the wrong directory could cause the x8-h-plus to get buggy and possibly malfunction. So here is a good way to do specific mapping to your external storage, where you would want copy videos, music, pics, etc..
    I have previously used a similar mapping method many times in the past, for setting up networks. It works flawlessly, on the x8-h-plus, using the latest firmware.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Go to advanced Settings, on your x8-h-plus, and enable Samba Server
    (you will see your ip address and username / password)(you must be on the latest firmware)
    2. Go to your networked Windows computer, Right Click This PC
    (my version is Windows 10, but it will work on other versions as well)
    3. Pick your drive letter you wish to use, then enter the X8-H Plus ip address with 2 \\ in front, (example: \\192.168.1.5), and click browse.
    (you will see your x8-h-plus smb server as your ip address).
    4. expand it by clicking >.
    (You will see the directory structure of your x8-h-plus)
    5. scroll to storage and expand it by clicking the >, and then expand external_storage.
    You will now see your external devices on your x8-h-plus, (I have a 64gb SD card, 64gb usb drive, 5 TB NTFS external USB hard drive)
    6. choose you mapping location by clicking one of the external sources and click ok.
    7. enter your username and password, when prompted (Username: root, Password: 123) and click ok, then click Finish.
    8. Now you can copy files to and from your x8-h-plus.
    Use this each time you want to add a specific file location as a path.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I figure this is worth mentioning, rather than start another thread.
    Regarding using a large external drive directly connected to the x8-h-plus vs. through the network:
    Even though the USB ports, on the x8-h-plus, are 2.0, you will get faster throughput streaming direct through the usb 2.0 port, rather than stream through your gigabit network. If you are streaming through a gigabit network, and your drive is internal SAS or SATA, then you will get faster throughput through the gigabit network.
    Also, someone had mentioned in other posts that even though they connected for testing purposes, a large external drive, to their box, they would never do it because it is a waste of the large space. It is my opinion that if you follow the procedure to share it, you reap the benefits of faster access and no lag for your videos, but still retain the use to be able copy files to and from your large external storage drive.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  2. teisner

teisner New Member

Thanks. good info
  3. Guy Devorah

Guy Devorah New Member

Just completed setting things up. Network drive Works great on windows 10. No problem.
  4. ihaladin

ihaladin New Member

Are any of you experiencing very slow samba performance on Minix?

When I connect it to my Win7 machine through Explorer, I'm able to read the Minix filesystem content, reach the external storage etc. but it's all extremely slow. Even the directory listing takes 5-10 sec when changing directory. When I try to copy a file it's like downloading from the Internet using a 56K modem (a few kB/s). :)

My Minix Neo X8-H Plus runs the latest stock firmware (no root) and is connected to home network via ethernet.
    I don't think it's a network problem since I can connect other devices in home network with no problem whether they are on wifi or ethernet connection.
  5. Frederick_99

Frederick_99 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

not here, samba works fine on x8-h plus via LAN ethernet with Windows 10
  6. Guy Devorah

Guy Devorah New Member

Ihaladin, No particular issus, no slow connection. System response is just fine. Maybe its a firewall issue.
  7. Guy Devorah

Guy Devorah New Member

8. ihaladin

ihaladin New Member

It seems that the problem is related to my external HDD that is attached to Minix. When it's disconnected the transfer speed is around 4MB/s through samba, which is fine.
    Once I connect the drive, i can see it through samba as \x8h\storage\external_storage\sda1 but the read/write drops to 250KB/s. :(
    This is unfortunate since I've imagined using samba to map this external storage (1TB) connected to Minix as a backup drive for my laptop.
    At these speeds it seems unusable.

Any suggestions?

Ivo
  9. mchp92

mchp92 Active Member

Cant you hook it up to your router?
  10. ihaladin

ihaladin New Member

Yes, I can hook it up, but the router is no better either. It's some Technicolor TC7200 router that features this samba and DLNA capability but the speed (folder browsing and download) is bad, around 500 KB/s.
    I thought Minix would handle this better since it's much more powerful unit.

The transfer rate between HDD and Minix via USB is fine (around 30 MB/s) so this doesn't seem to be an issue.

P.S. Strangely enough, now that I have switched to wlan from eth, the read/write increased to 1,5MB/s. Still bad but better.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  11. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

What external HD do you have and what speed is your router capable of?
    My results via network access to and from the MINIX are as follows.:
    My network is fairly complex with 1 24 port GB switch, 2 8 port GB switches, 3 wireless routers and several PCs, Laptops, Blue Ray players, Smart TVs and MINIX NEO X8-H + boxes.
    When accessing to and from a MINIX via hardwire GB network connection, my throughput is 11 to 17 mbps.
    When accessing to and from a MINIX via Wireless N 5G network connection, my throughput is 3 to 6 mbps.
    I did notice if I'm transferring a lot of small files it is slower. A large 2 to 3gb file transfers faster.
    If you are getting decent throughput to and from the external drive via USB, then your issue is the network.
    I would check cabling from the MINIX to your router, or what it is connected to, and your router setup and configuration.
  12. ihaladin

ihaladin New Member

External HDD is 1TB WD Green in an SATA to USB 2.0 enclosure with external power supply.
    My network is rather simple. One router with WIFI b/g and 4 LAN ports, connected to my cable internet provider.
    Minix is connected via LAN (but I can connect it via WIFI). I don't think it's network issue since Minix and other devices can achieve 4 MB/s download from the internet through the same router. Other devices also have no problem with file transfer or other services on local network...

Maybe I could try to install some other Samba server app from Play Store ( like SambaDroid) but I'm afraid I would break some compatibility with Minix version of Samba server since they all require root and it will probably alter the /etc/smb.conf .
  13. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

Have you tried connecting the external drive to your laptop or another networked PC and testing the speed through the network from the NEO X8-H + box? This would isolate the issue to the drive itself. Green WD drives can act funny, especially after sitting for a few minutes. They will go into sleep mode, causing your several second wait time delay for the dir tree to populate. A WD Green drive is not meant to be a primary drive or fast. It is supposed to be for cheap low power mass storage. It's technology intentionally causes it to be slower, so it can save power. I installed Green WD drives in an array for a customer, purely for backup, and was very disappointed with them. The customer's backup time, of several GB of daily file transfers, was double the time of what it was on the old drive. I returned them, and since the customer was looking for cost effective backup alternatives, I replaced them with WD Caviar Blue SATA 6 drives. It made a huge difference.
    The external drive I have connected the NEO X8-H Plus is a Seagate Backup Plus 5TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive. The drive itself is a Seagate Barracuda, which is a pretty fast drive. I'm very happy with the throughput connected directly to the box's USB 2.0 and the overall network performance.
    I only wish MINIX would have installed at least 1 USB 3.0 port.
  14. Fester1

Fester1 New Member

Thanks a lot for this post MrBig. Coming from a WDTV Live box I was really struggling to find a way to transfer files from my computer to the Minix. At first Win8.1 wouldn't see the XBMC until I realized that both needed to be connected to the same wireless router. As soon as I did that Explorer brought up the XBMC file folder in all its glory. I'm gonna have a beer now to celebrate!

Cheers.
  15. KirjoTheCat

KirjoTheCat New Member

Yes thanks mrbig, but i transfer only movie files, is it true that bigger than 2gb cant be move, becouse ofcause all movies is bigger than 2gb? Which i transfer more than 10 gb files??
  16. Fester1

Fester1 New Member

Kirjo, I just tried copying a 2.2gb file from my computer to the Minix and it failed. Normally I only do TV shows (1.5gb) so it's not an issue for me. I imagine copying the file to a USB stick and then physically connecting it to the Minix and using ES File Explorer might work? If this method works can you please let me know.

Cheers.
  17. MrBig

MrBig Active Member

I have not experienced that problem. However, I am using a 5TB drive formatted to NTFS, directly connected to the MINIX.
    If any of you are experiencing this issue, transfer the large movie files using the file explorer on the MINIX box. I mapped my PC download folder to my MINIX, so I can sit in front of the TV and transfer a movie from my computer to my MINIX box, without having to go to the PC. You can use move or copy.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  18. fan321

fan321 New Member

I don't have problem copying files to the usb drive attached to the asus router for filesize greater than 2GB but not the usb disk attached to minix. I think this is the norm currently and I just copy files greater than 2GB to the disk attached to the router instead.
  19. mchp92

mchp92 Active Member

Wouldt it be a lot easier to get a nas and put evthg there
    U cld move and copy files around using ur smartphone
    Dr Goodvibes likes this.
  20. Schwuppdiwupp

Schwuppdiwupp New Member

I can access my Minix X8H+ from my Windows machine over unc path \\192.168.0.13\x8h.
    But I'd like to access it like this: \\ANDROID\x8h.
    Samba is enabled in settings but the box is not visible under Network in Windows

I checked the file /etc/smb.conf, the workgroup is correct

Any ideas?
    Thanks