1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

SOLVED - Samba Share Not Working

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus' started by Mark112887, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Peter F Model

Peter F Model New Member

Its strange you should raise this as I testing this as well, although in my case I simply used the WDTV as a SMB server for the MINIX while in XMBC. I can access the video flies on my WDTV from my MINIX/XBMC - which sits next to my MINIX and used the same switch - and i can copy files from my PC to the WDTV at good speeds (A 30GB 1080p MKV can copy in about 5-10min). I can connect 2 x 4TB MyPassports to the WDTV giving me 8TB, which allows me to store 200x1080p MKV videos. This is a very low cost NAS, although in my case the storage is expensive. However i would still love to get smb working on the NEO if at all possible, but if its not possible its not a show stopper.
  2. Les Thomas

Les Thomas New Member

I followed the instructions on post#10 of this thread. Read them carefully and make sure Samba is turned on in your Minix. It is in the Minix settings.

I just upgraded to a clean install of W10 and had to reconnect my Minix and followed those directions. Didn't work the first time but then when I checked, the Minix Samba hadn't been turned on.

I found this to be a very cumbersome and inefficient way to share files though.

I now do it in reverse, using ES File Explorer I can get the Minix to access files from my Seagate Cloud. Also I can copy from the Minix to the Seagate Cloud (or my desktop) using ES File Explorer.
  3. Skinamp

Skinamp Member

@Villa

thanx for your explanation about howto add the U1 as Samba share...
    works fine for me
    Villa likes this.
  4. zerohalcyon

zerohalcyon New Member

Thought I'd share my experiences with this 2GB SMB limitation as it has been plaguing me for years. Its basically a software side limitation, how the app is written when a drive is mounted without the LFS (large file system) SMB protocol. Solution is to find an app that does just that (link below). I'm currently running a NEO X8-H Plus on its original firmware 001 (never bothered to FW flash it) with a usb HDD, SMB share and use it as a simple home NAS. Kodi (on another machine on the network) now plays files greater then 2GB without terminating.

Servers Ultimate Pro - Google it and/or grab it from Playstore, i'm unable to share links as i'm 'new'

The SMB server tool within supports files larger then 2GB in both read and write. Hope this little discovery will save you all a heap of trouble.
  5. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icecoldapps.serversultimatepro but sounds like you need to root your device...
    (Searching your username shows that you tried different solutions :) )
  6. Garry Ellis

Garry Ellis New Member

Thank you
    worked perfectly ...just what I was after
    Villa likes this.