1. Official MINIX forum

[Solved] Video stutter on MPEG2 (live TV and recording)

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus' started by Mitchellross, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Mitchellross

Mitchellross New Member

Hi all
    This week I've been testing out a new X8-H Plus. Terrific little unit - so thanks for all the work that's gone into it.

I have one strange issue that I'm hoping someone can assist with. When playing either live TV or a recording from any of the ABC Australia channels, I get horrible stutter. Its almost like its playing at half frame rate. This does not occur on other channels, although I thought the encoding was the same. Issue is the same whether I'm using Kodi 16.1, SPMC, Minix or XBMC 16.3. I use the pvr.wmc plugin in Kodi to connect to serverwmc on my server. All connections are gigabit ethernet. Live TV and recordings play without issue on the main WMC setup and all other Kodi installations across the house.

Debug log here from the Minix XBMC 16.3:

In the log above I start playing ABC Sydney at line 1074. For comparison I start playing Channel 7 at line 1524. These are both MPEG2 SD channels. But for some reason ABC stutters where Channel 7 is smooth.

I'm reasonably novice at these things - so most of what is in a debug log doesn't mean anything to me. But I did notice that this line - "DEBUG: CDVDPlayerVideo::CalcDropRequirement - dropped in decoder, Sleeptime: 0.019599, Bufferlevel: 1, Gain: 0.092847" - appears in the stuttering video, and not in the smooth one.

If I disable amcodec h/w acceleration the problem almost goes away - but then you're left with software decoding that simply isn't up to the task when watching live sport etc.

I've got a one minute sample video that I will link toonce I meet the minimum requirements for the forum (am I new here).

Issue doesn't appear on any other of my Kodi installations across - from Mac to Libreelec and even Android on my TabS.

Any ideas?
  2. Mitchellross

Mitchellross New Member

3. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

Tested on my PC (Media Player Classic) & Minix and yes stutters really bad on Minix but plays fine on PC.

I have mpeg2 files from a DVR that have this same issue if the extension is .MPG but not if I rename them as .TS
    Mitchellross likes this.
  4. Mitchellross

Mitchellross New Member

That's step one of bug hunting complete: reproducing the issue.

When I have time tonight I'm going to have a play around with ffmpeg and try copying the test file into different containers and see if I can narrow it down a bit.

In the meantime, if a dev has time to look at this issue, would be greatly appreciated!
  5. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

Tested on X8-H Plus and U1.

X8-H Plus
    :( Kodi - Stutter
    :( MINIX XBMC - Stutter
    :) MX Player - No stutter
    :( Archos Video -Stutter
    :( VLC - Stutter

U1
    :) Kodi - No stutter
    :) MINIX XBMC - No stutter
    :) MX Player - No stutter
    :( Archos Video -Stutter
    :( VLC - Stutter
  6. 9800pro

9800pro Active Member

Hey Mitchell, just a quick one...
    Why did you get X8 model? Why not U1 which is a newer model?
    Villa likes this.
  7. Mitchellross

Mitchellross New Member

That's a great question that I don't have a good answer to - all the more relevant given the results of the testing that Villa did! Essentially it came down to availability and the fact that the specs of the X8 were plenty for what I wanted to do - run XBMC in the lounge room on something with a bit more grunt than a Pi2.

Unfortunately, until I can get this issue resolved - the Pi2 remains in the lounge room.
  8. mark2

mark2 Active Member

Would you have any chance to return the X8 and exchange it for the U1
    going by @Villa testing on both boxes that would resolve your issues
  9. Mitchellross

Mitchellross New Member

U1 wasn't available where I purchased. And I think we can probably find a better solution than that. The X8 is still on sale and is still being supported.
  10. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

I'm wishing I had gone with something other than a X8-H Plus, I posted about stutter on MPEG2 video's months ago.
  11. Mitchellross

Mitchellross New Member

@HardwareGuru Have you got a moment to check whether the sample file plays ok on your test X8HP that you've got running Lollipop? Curious to know why the U1 is performing so much better in the tests that @Villa did.

And on the slightly off topic questions above about why did I get the X8 - I've now confirmed that none of the retailers that currently stock the X8 in Australia, stock the U1. Sellers of the U1 on Amazon do not ship to Australia. So I think if you want one in Australia, you have to take your chances on eBay. Rather than concerning ourselves too much with that issue, would prefer we focussed on getting the X8 to play these files smoothly.
  12. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Dr Goodvibes likes this.
  13. Mitchellross

Mitchellross New Member

@MINIX - Ken And this is why Minix has a good reputation for support. Appreciate your taking a look at it.

(And I apologise for the clip, it's one minute of possibly the worst show on Australian TV).
  14. MINIX - Ken

Hi Villa,

Did you test with the same Kodi/MINIX XBMC/MX Player version on both devices?
    It's a very useful hint.
  15. MINIX - Ken

I hope you can upload to somewhere else since I have trouble downloading it from onedrive.
  16. MINIX - Ken

Downloaded finally... file extension is ... .wtv?

May I know how to view it properly?
  17. Mitchellross

Mitchellross New Member

Sorry for the hassle with onedrive.

Yes, that's right, it's an MPEG2 TV recording that Windows puts into its own WTV container. Kodi/XBMC play those smoothly normally.

I can try and get a recording in a TS file if you want to rule out any weirdness with the WTV container itself?
  18. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator

File playes fine on X8H plus - lolipop
    - with SPMC 16.2 = OK
    - with Kodi 16.1 = Stutter
    *cant test XBMC for MINIX on this device yet, but when SPMC runs fine i suspect(99% sure) XBMC for MINIX will too.

Using SPMC 16.2:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Dr Goodvibes likes this.
  19. Mitchellross

Mitchellross New Member

20. HardwareGuru

HardwareGuru Developer Administrator