1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!

SOLVED!! Yet another passthrough issue - promise it's a gooder!

Discussion in 'NEO U9-H' started by Grencola, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Grencola

Grencola Member

Hey guys, having a weird bug ever since I bought the U9-H months ago.

HD-Audio passthrough only randomly works, honestly there's no rhyme or reason to it at all.

First off, I have the files directly on the minix box so there is no streaming involved. They're test samples straight from dolby and dts websites. When I play one it may or may not work, but when it does it's perfect, there are never any dropouts at all. When it doesn't its just a loud fizz from the speakers and my AVR shows stereo. I can click stop, play, stop, play and try like 10 times and it will work for about 1 or 2 of them. Or cycling the passthrough toggle yields similar results. However, regular lossy audio passthrough is perfect 100% of the time. It's so frustrating. This also happens with MX Player, and all Kodi addons as well.

I have tried literally every Kodi and Minix setting possible, even different hdmi cables. My bluray player and PS4 work 100% of the time, so I believe my AVR is working fine.

I also did exactly this, copied from here http://www.minixforum.com/threads/a...all-my-movies-with-dolby-digital.17024/page-2 (as well as like a hundred other suggestions from every post and forum possible):

"So for audio passthrough to work properly do this:

(1) Do factory reset of your Minix
    (2) Clear Android cache on your Minix
    (3) uninstall Kodi 17.1 completely
    (4) install a fresh Kodi 17.3
    (5) setup passthrough in Kodi (everything default, just turn on passthrough and check all supported)
    (6) close and restart Kodi 1 or 2 times via the button in the app (not directly killing the proces in Android)
    (7) Kodi has now saved all your settings

You are ready to enjoy your movies. :)"

It was pretty deflating completely starting over with everything and it still not helping, had so much stuff setup how I liked it :(

Maybe I should see if it's under warranty still?

I could youtube a quick video as well if I didn't explain the bug well enough. The fact that it works at all is so weird. It should either work all the time or never, not just whenever it decides is a good time :(

Anything someone can think of would be highly appreciated!!!
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. Grencola

Grencola Member

I realize now I had brought this up a few months ago here:
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/4k-hd-audio.17364/
    I thought it was only for 4k audio at the time, but it's actually for everything that has dts-hd or dolby truehd :( Ken said it could be a Kodi bug, but I've been through a few versions since then and still no fix. Just thought if anyone has an idea I would love to try it. Almost all my movies are hd audio and it makes my minix almost unusable :(
  3. Duncan Singleton

Duncan Singleton New Member

Do your steps work. I get truehd unsupported. It works fine using mplayer but doesn't work in kodi. Very strange.
  4. Grimmyn

Grimmyn New Member

This works for me:

Kodi > Settings > System > Audio and bottom row "Reset above settings to default"
    Then mark passthru and all options in passthru
    Restart Minix

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/a...s-with-dolby-digital.17024/page-2#post-141735

Can also help to run the "All Tasks Killer" before Kodi audio reset

Edit: Still the problem comes back time and time again. And I keep resetting audio and restarting to make it work.
    Both I and the original poster of the post have an Onkyo TX-SR608. Do you also have an Onkyo receiver?
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  5. Grencola

Grencola Member

Yea, I've tried this and I too have the problem coming back all the time.. that's same post I linked in my op heh, tried literally everything there is to try :( I have a Pioneer AVR so it's not limited to Onkyo. It's definitely the box though as my AVR works flawless every time on many other devices. I've contacted the place I bought my u9 from and waiting to hear if I can get a refund or not :(
  6. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Active Member

Grimmyn and Grencola like this.
  7. ponty2007

ponty2007 New Member

As other members mentioned, it works randomly in my U9. It does not seem that U9 has the problem as the surround sound works when it is played outside KODI. So it appears that KODI is the problem.
    Any further insights are welcome. Thanks.
    Grencola likes this.
  8. Grencola

Grencola Member

Well, I wouldn't mind running android if possible as I use more than just Kodi, although I suppose I could just reboot without the SD card if I'm not watching a movie, still pretty silly though to pay so much for buggy hardware. If it's just a select few of us having this bug then I'll try my luck and exchange for a new u9-h. I really hate Android TV so I'm still holding out on a Shield, having faith in Minix. This issue also happens everywhere on the box not just Kodi, so like mx player, vlc, movie player etc, etc.. Sometimes it kicks in and works perfect, other times it's just fizz, there's no knowing when it'll work or not :/
  9. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

maybe a dodgy connection to your AVR ??
    i see you have tried different cables but have you tried alternative HDMI connection to your AVR ?
  10. Grencola

Grencola Member

Hmm, not sure you what you mean for alternative hdmi connection to my AVR if I've already tried multi hdmi cables? Is there another type of connection I can make and still get HD audio? That would be cool..
  11. pusb87

pusb87 Well-Known Member Trusted Helper

i was thinking maybe your avr has more than one hdmi input ??
  12. Grencola

Grencola Member

Oh, gotcha! Yea it has 3 but it didn't help :(

However the box now supports lpcm, so I just turned off passthrough and it decodes, let's say dts-hd ma 7.1, and sends all 8 raw channels to my AVR as pcm.. My AVR obviously just shows pcm now, but technically it should sound the same other than whatever little magic the better DAC in my AVR used to during the decoding process.. Good enough fix for now as it works all the time at least..
  13. Grencola

Grencola Member

Does anyone know the advantage of passthrough and making the AVR do the work and it showing the HD Audio format rather than PT off and getting PCM from the minix? If it sounds the same I'm not sure why PT is even a thing?
  14. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Active Member

Cmon Man - expensive AVR owners want to see confirmation Bias HD Audio Popups with on screen overlays on their TV's and have all those fancy HD Audio feedback lights smugly blinking at them in wonder to make 'em fell all warm and Aurally satisfied inside ! :whistle:

Even tho for most HD Audio there would be no audible difference between the media player doing the lossless audio decoding vs the AVR. Audio Data would be bitwise identical.

Where there is a difference is in Object based HD Audio formats - Dolby Atmos and DTS:X where metadata is lost if the KodMedia player decodes to Lossless Multichannel PCM Audio and outputs that to the AVR.

Its why Apple TV 4K owners are left scratching their heads when their shiny new media player supports Dolbyvision video playback but the ATV 4K cannot do any HD Audio Passthrough so no Dolby Atmos. It's all Multichannel PCM.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  15. Grencola

Grencola Member

Haha, well I gotta admit it is fairly satisfying to see! but I know that bits are bits, and if both dacs are 196/24 than good enough for me ;) Thanks for the tip - I forgot object meta data wouldn't work without PT :( I guess it's off to the living room with this Minix / Pioneer AVR combo and my theater room will have to be my Marantz AVR with either another (fingers crossed) u9-h without this bug, or just snag a *sigh* Shield. So honestly though, no matter how many times you guys start and stop HD Audio files, passthrough just works and is never an issue hey? Damn that'd be cool :eek:
  16. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Active Member

Personally I would install LibreELEC Kodi Krypton onto a microSDHC card if you want Kodi working properly with both Audio and Video, inc. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X

It has a bunch of advantages over using ANY Android Kodi. Even Android Kodi on the NVIDIA Shield which has a number of bugs.

You can even Dual boot and leave internal Android untouched.

Now I'm just repeating myself...but for very good reasons.
    Use bug busted LibreELEC Kodi Software and you will be all good. It gets a LOT more development work plugged into it than Android Kodi. :rolleyes:
  17. Grencola

Grencola Member

Yea libreelec works great, for sure - I had it on my previous s905 box. I just didn't like having to reboot to do things outside of Kodi. Also seems unnecessary on The u9-h because when PT works it's perfect for everything, even Atmos. Feels unfortunate to spend a couple hundred bux just to use libreelec, when I could hopefully get a replacement or, worse case, a refund and try a shield instead. An uncompromising, all-in-one box is what I'm hoping to achieve, so if most minix users aren't experiencing this bug then I'll try for another u9-h :)

Edit: ok fine, I'll try libreelec again to see if I can make do ;)

Edit 2: hmm this doesn't seem promising?

<<LibreELEC 8.2 for Amlogic S912 devices.

WARNING:

Amlogic has not released fbdev Mali libraries and has no plans to release them. These builds use libhybris and Android gralloc Mali driver to provide OpenGL for Kodi - this is an experimental approach with CPU overhead - this means suboptimal GPU performance.

If you consider buying a device for LE, do not buy Amlogic S912!>>
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  18. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Active Member

Don't worry about the Warning - its there from previous LE images because there were serious problems with the hacky Android based GPU video driver used for LE on S912's.

The GPU video driver has now been optimised and that fixes problems for 99% of S912 users.
    These GPU video drivers only draw the Kodi user interface they do not affect Hardware video playback or Audio at all.
    Another co-processor the VPU handles video decoding.

It's all good. :)
    Grencola likes this.
  19. Grencola

Grencola Member

Alright, so I tried a third AVR, and low and behold the box works perfect! Passthrough performed flawlessly every single time. I don't know wtf is going on with my other AVRs but I'm happy the box is OK at least!

Also I tried libreelec 8.1.1 and holy crap it works slick as well! A huge improvement over 7.x when I last tried it.. I even put it on my tx8 with an s912 and honestly, if they both had my a3 remote, I wouldn't be able to tell you which box was which, it's just minty smooth. 4K with HD Audio PT and even Frame rate switching work perfectly! Pretty amazing :)

Anyway, sorry for wasting everyone's time and thanks to those who helped! This thread can be closed now if you'd like :)

Cheers!
  20. wrxtasy

wrxtasy Active Member

Shhh, don't let the secret get out. ;)

Out of interest which Brand and Models of AVR's caused issues, and which one was the 100% compatible one ?
    kingsizept likes this.