1. Welcome to the official forum for MINIX devices!
    Dismiss Notice

Some files not readable on my USB 2TB NTFS drive

Discussion in 'NEO X8-H Plus' started by tritiy, Mar 15, 2015.

1. tritiy

tritiy New Member

I have a western digital external hard drive connected to my NEO X8-H Plus (Build KOTH49H.20141122). The drive is formatted in NTFS. I have several video (mp4) files in the same folder. Some files can be viewed/read/copied without any problems while for the others it just says that they can not be accessed (I've tried various application so its does not seem app related but rather Minix/Android related).

When I connect to drive to my PC I can read all files without any problems and chkdsk does not report any errors.
    Has anybody encountered this problem before? Is there a solution for it?

I have read that some people had problems with accessing large NTFS drives and they solved it by installing Paragon NTFS&HFS utility. However this requires root access so it is not really an option for me.

2. Villa

Villa Administrator Administrator

I don't think it would be MINIX/Android related as some of the files can be accessed.
    Can all files be seen? At what point does it say they cannot be accessed? How are you trying to access them? Which apps have you tried? Are all the files definately the same type, mp4? How large are the files?

I don't think Paragon would solve the issue!

3. tritiy

tritiy New Member

>>Can all files be seen?
    Yes. I can see them in the file list and I can see the size of the files.

>>At what point does it say they cannot be accessed?
    When I try to play them in the XBMC the XBMC just states the file can not play and to check the log. The log has the following line regarding the file(s) I tried to open: cfilecache failed to open source.
    I used X-Explore app to try to copy the file to my internal SDCARD and it complained that the file can not be opened.
    Some files behave correctly and both XBMC and X-Explore can view/copy them while others (in the same folder can not).

>> How are you trying to access them? Which apps have you tried? Are all the files definately the same type, mp4? How large are the files?
    See above for apps. The files are ranging from 1GB to 2BG. I have not noticed any differences between file which can be played (one is for example 1.1GB) and another which can not be played (for example 1.2GB).

4. Villa

Try MX Player and see if it picks up all the files, it should do this automatically, and whether they can be played or not.
    Also try ES File Explorer and try to move the files to Internal SD.

5. tritiy

tritiy New Member

Thank you for trying to help but I do not see how your suggestion would make any difference.
    I have decided to backup files, reformat the drive to exFat and then restore files.
    Hopefully this will solve the issue.
    Thanks for you time and help :)

6. Villa

Because IMO XBMC sucks and MX Player is very good! You need to try media apps to see if they can access the files and I do not think exFat will make a difference.
    Please try and report back.

7. tritiy

tritiy New Member

It worked. I can view all files now.

8. Villa

Good!

9. koldbaeksvej

koldbaeksvej New Member

I had the same problem. Would lige to know what caused it.