1. Registration issues have now been resolved. New accounts are able to be created

Sound issue with NEO-Z83-4 (Fix at page 2, #32)

Discussion in 'NEO Z83-4' started by jsward12, Mar 1, 2017.

1. FGendron

FGendron New Member

Same problem here... I hear a "scrtsghzz" sound in speakers (connected to the audio jack) before the actual sound starts to play on Z83-4 Win10... After the first time a sound has played, no more scratchy sound before... Anyone has found a working solution?
  2. tunay

tunay Member

Ken says to ground our hardware. Thats not a solution for me. I want my speakers near by me. Not grounded. Other mini pc works . This is a horrible issue. Every time this ugly thump thump to hear.
  3. Villa

Villa Well-Known Member Super Moderator

I think it is the receiver that needs to be properly grounded not the speakers!
  4. tunay

tunay Member

I cant put my z83-4 down. Do you have a idea how stupid that will look? Dear Villa
  5. Villa

What are you talking about?
    We're talking about your amp/receiver being correctly grounded (earthed)!
  6. tunay

tunay Member

what do you talk about. I get sound over 3,5 jack in my z83-4 . I dont use a receiver. Thump is still alive.
    So what ?
    minix box has to be grounded?

We buy hardware. And then we have to ground it? Ken posted a wiki link. Whats wrong. It has to work
  7. Villa

Sorry, I thought it was only related to if one is using a receiver!
    I don't know the answer then. I was only reiterating @MINIX - Ken's suggestion.

But what is the 3.5 jack connected to?
  8. tunay

tunay Member

3.5 jack is connected to premium portable jbl speakers.
  9. JanArns

JanArns New Member

Hi Guys,
    I've checked if the problem is coming from "not being earthed" properly but this is not the problem. I've bought my minix for Australia so it came with an adapter from the HK-plug which doesn't connect the earth. But I had a proper adapter connecting the earth/ground as well, no difference!! What is interesting: When you play let's say an audio file (mp3) and stop it and count roughly 30 sec. you can hear a slight cracking/pop sound coming through the speakers if you listen carefully. (it's as if the audio module or a driver goes into a stand-by or shuts down) Once you start the audio again or another media file, there is a massive pop/cracking sound when the file starts playing! (sounds a bit like syncing issues) It always happens after waiting about 30 sec. between playing files! I've used VLC for that but have checked Media Player as well. Both have the issues so it's unlikely to be player-related. I've changed the bios settings for the output jack from "Apple" to "Nokia/Samsung", no difference. I've tried an old Windows7 laptop with the same software and it had no issues at all. I've bought the MINIX to exclusively play 720p video files as well as mp3's. But this renders it completely useless since I'm use it on stage (for live band application and backing tracks with video etc.) The popping sound through the PA is just crazy and not usable! Interesting is also when you send the audio through the HDMI and collect it from let's say a projector the popping/cracking sound disappears. In my case I need the output on the minix though! Is there anything in Windows 10 or the audio drivers that deactivate the sound module after 30 sec? Or that put's it into a standby to safe power??? I will look into that a bit later on when I have more time. The only other idea I have right now would be to try installing Windows 7 or something if that's possible? (but I don't wanna loose the warranty etc.) If you guys have any more ideas, that would be great. *thanks*
  10. Rayways

Rayways New Member

I also tend to support the @JanArns findings regarding possible audio module's sleep or power save mode, that sends a rough on/off signal to the audio jack.

After @Villa only advise to investigate and make sure all the cables and speakers are properly electrically grounded, I was left with several options to try:
    • buy a replacement power adapter for my Creative Inspire T10 Multimedia Speakers and see if the adapter was faulty
    • OR buy a completely new set of speakers and just throw the otherwise very well working ones away
    • OR buy a USB sound card to try.
    I decided to start with the last option and bought the Creative Sound Blaster Play! 2 USB Sound Card with SBX. All the "thump-thump" (any popping or otherwise distorted sound side effects related to power/ground) were gone in an instant. Only time I hear the slight and soft pop is when the system starts or shuts down right at the very last powering on or off stage.

Same speakers, same power adapter, same audio cables and same power outlets used before and after.

This solution with the USB sound card did not come very cheap, but it solved the sound problem as well as actually improved the overall sound output quality (wider and crisper to be precise)! I bought one from Amazon UK for £19.99 /sorry, not allowed to post a link!/.

I hope, that guys at Minix will continue to look into the issues reported by users regarding the possible "hidden" power saving or some sync interference to the audio module (controller, jack).
  11. JanArns

JanArns New Member

Hi,
    I've made a video clearly showing the problem and it's severity! To check or replicate this issue, just follow these simple steps:
    1. Go to the "Sound" settings (right click on Start - Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Sound) go to the tab "Sounds"
    2. Click on any of the available sounds below, play it and then wait for about 35seconds.
    3. Click the same or any other sound file afterwards and if you hear a really loud popping sound, that's the issue we experience.
    You can see on the video how much the popping sound is moving the speaker cone although the actual sound is not very loud!

I would be very interested to see if that's a general problem or a hardware problem with the MINIX z83-4 I got? (and a few others ;))

Since I'm new here, I cannot post a video or a link yet. *bummer* If you wanna see it pm me. Once I'm allowed to post it, I will. :)
  12. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

We've confirmed it's a Realtek i2s audio driver problem.
    Manually replace the driver with the below file should fix the problem.

Attached Files:

• x64.zip
      File size:
      349.5 KB
      Views:
    Rayways and tunay like this.
  13. MINIX - Ken

14. JanArns

JanArns New Member

Thanks Ken and Nick from MINIX. This driver finally works and fixes the problem! *much appreciated* :)
  15. M_Six

M_Six New Member

I'm getting no sound at all through HDMI. Think this is the same driver issue?
    MINIX - Ken likes this.
  16. M_Six

M_Six New Member

Yes, that appears to have been the problem. Installing the new driver fixed it. Thanks for that.
    MINIX - Ken likes this.
  17. MINIX - Ken

Configure your desired audio output device in Windows settings.
  18. tunay

tunay Member

Thanks Ken. It solved my issue.
    MINIX - Ken likes this.
  19. Villa

20. M_Six

M_Six New Member

I tired that. It said the HDMI device was not connected, and it was. I was watching TV, it just had no sound. The driver replacement fixed it, though.