1. Official MINIX forum

Spdif sound problem

Discussion in 'NEO U1' started by spet0555, Sep 4, 2016.

1. spet0555

spet0555 New Member

Hi guys,

Just received my neo u1 today and have updated to this firmware. The box and apps work fine, however, there's a problem with the sound via spdif. When I play music from e.g. Amazon music, there's a 'hiccup' every 10 second or so. I follow advice on the forum and direct digital sounds to spdif, but the problem persists. Same thing happens when I play videos from xbmc and songs from my NAS. When playing sound via HDMI, the 'hiccup' disappeared.

The spdif cable was connected to my amp (Marantz). I had the same setup with Amazon Fire TV 1st gen and do not experience such problem. Could someone help me to resolve this, otherwise I will have to return the machine.

Cheers.
  2. newbie99

newbie99 Moderator Moderator

sounds like you use the official KODI but at passthrough you have to use MINIX XBMC or SPMC ...
  3. spet0555

spet0555 New Member

No I use the KODI provided. Also this happens outside KODI too, even on YouTube app.
    Have tried several settings on setup but no luck :(

The amp is a 2.0 system.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  4. spet0555

spet0555 New Member

Hi guys,

I just receive my neo u1 today and have updated to latest firmware. The box and apps work fine, however, there's a problem with sound via spdif. When I play music from e.g. Amazon music or YouTube apps, there's a 'hiccup' every 10 second or so. I follow advice on the forum and direct digital sounds to spdif, but the problem persists. Same thing happens when I play videos from xbmc and songs from my NAS. When playing sound via HDMI, the 'hiccup' disappeared.

The spdif cable was connected to my amp (Marantz 2.0 system). I had the same setup with Amazon Fire TV 1st gen and do not experience such problem. Could someone help me to resolve this, otherwise I will have to return the box.

Cheers.
  5. Parambir

Parambir Member

Have you tried hdmi output?
  6. Villa

Villa Trusted Helper Super Moderator

@spet0555 Please do not double post! I have merged your posts and related posts.
    spet0555 likes this.
  7. spet0555

spet0555 New Member

yup sound from HDMI is smooth, only output from spdif has 'hiccup'. I wonder if that's caused by firmware bug, or more general hardware problem?
  8. Higgs

Higgs Yellow Dude Super Moderator

9. spet0555

spet0555 New Member

Thanks for the reply, but as stated I have updated to latest firmware (LMY47V.20160816 release keys), also use XBMC for minix (16.3-0 0816 version).

The problem exists outside XBMC too, this makes me think it's a hardware/sound decoding probelem.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  10. MINIX - Ken

MINIX - Ken MINIX Team Member Administrator

Please reflash your firmware if the problem persists.
  11. spet0555

spet0555 New Member

My days of flashing Roms are over. The whole point of paying a premium for minix over cheap Chinese box is to have a box that works straightaway.
    From what I've read in your forum, this 'hiccup' problem occurred in other system like X8, and Minix failed to fix it (wipe cache and reflash are typical suggestions, but didn't work for me). My box will be returned to the seller.
    Problem solved!